SnowHabit
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Member Title Ex AW Con - Just Served 5 For Bump Trolling

Lol. Did you add that?

yes I did -  and its true ! Anyways looks like the first real snowstorm in NYC 2014 -2015 season  is still not in sight - this winter  is following the 1977 -1978 analog almost exactly so far ...........

Hello all; happy new years ; following this weekend train wreck rain maker. .any word on next week light snow ?? .

this is the clipper next week maybe some areas can squeeze out a coating to an inch but more then likely nothing - flow is going to be fast and dominated by the northern stream after this weekends GLC - not enough room for systems to dig and develop - as mentioned earlier 77 - 78 seems to be a good analog right now and the forecasted MJO going into  7 - cold snowy phase around the 20th fits perfectly - in addition wouldn't be surprised to see a KU storm or 2, if 77 -78 analog verifies.........anyone who wrote this winter off already might have regrets

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/97ep48iwbg_fill.gif?1420117346

http://www.kylemacritchie.com/real-time-maps/realtime-mjo/

Guest Pamela

NYC / Central Park Forecast Snowfall 2014-15 Season:

Nov: T

Dec: 2.0"

Jan: 7.0"

Feb: 9.0"

Mar: 2.0"

Apr: T

Total: 20.0 inches

The Law of Averages / basic climatology will eventually yield a bad season around here...and 2014-15 will be it.

So, as a certain denizen of Amity Island said some 40 summers ago, "Is that reward in cash or check"?

Happy New Year to all!

So, as a certain denizen of Amity Island said some 40 summers ago, "Is that reward in cash or check"?

Happy New Year to all!

Let's hope you're celebrating while there's still some time on the game clock and the QB completed a hail Mary for a game winning TD, our own little version of February 2013. At this point, the only reason I'm even rooting for the cold weather between storms, is that the ski resorts should be able to make snow.

Guest Pamela

Let's hope you're celebrating while there's still some time on the game clock and the QB completed a hail Mary for a game winning TD, our own little version of February 2013. At this point, the only reason I'm even rooting for the cold weather between storms, is that the ski resorts should be able to make snow.

I am like soo not into basketball...

Guest Pamela

I saw one pick up and fling shopping carts when I was kid, the heavy 1970's metal kind.

*Hoping your fellow members on the other board are enjoying the winter so far*

1/21/15 will mark 30 years since the last time JFK went below zero. I know subzero temps are über rare in NYC, but 30 years is impressive, and it'll never cease to amaze me.

Funny how NYC generally gets depicted as a wintry city, yet lows in the 80's are much more common than lows below zero.

1/21/15 will mark 30 years since the last time JFK went below zero. I know subzero temps are über rare in NYC, but 30 years is impressive, and it'll never cease to amaze me.

Funny how NYC generally gets depicted as a wintry city, yet lows in the 80's are much more common than lows below zero.

If they couldn't do it in 94 when ewr and central park did then they never will

urban heat island effect has only increased in those 30 years with all the sprawl/development/concrete, so can see how subzero temps would becoming more and more rare.

we have gotten our share of snow starting with the 1992-93 season with numerous foot or more snowstorms and 40" winters...this has a lot to due with more precipitation since 1970...The driest ten years on record were 1956-65...36.87" was the ten year average...during that span KNYC recorded 306.1" of snowfall...The wettest ten years on record is 2002-2011 averaging 56.27" of precipitation...snowfall over that span was 344.5"...almost 200 more inches with only 38" of more snow...we are getting warmer and wetter and snowfall is up but not at the same percentage as total precipitation...

Archived