joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who else saw the fireball at around 1830 EST tonight? I saw it by KFRG and i thought it was really close but then i read reports all the way from Montreal so it must've been a big one.

Didn't see it myself but my friend in Manchester NH saw it.  Said it broke up as it passed over.

I know I saw ..it before I know its cliche ..delayed not denied ..it fits here ..for all those who doubt winter scroll up and read Don S. Post Very Well thought out ..many are disappointed me included ..but until March I'm not ready to throw in towel ..time will tell.. Snow weenies..there is light ahead just be patient snow will arrive sooner or later ..

I was looking thru winter archives and found two interesting articles ..The first being in the winter of 2006 before the Feb blizzard which gave NYC 26.9 inches of snow from that single event ..before that storm that winter was thought of as Very boring ..one Weather expert Even referred to it as a relentless fall like pattern before that massive storm ..this article was from ny times so I trust the source ..I didn't go thru analogs and data so I'm in unsure if 2006 was nino or la nina winter etc . but anyhow second piece I found was only other snowless Jan NYC was 1933 2008 so I doubt we go snowless ..my point being way too earlier to completely give up hope ..This is the part of the hobby that separates the true warrior and the others lol ..

Well the euro sticks the dagger in the first half of january. Im throwing in the towel. See you guys next threat or next season.

If this winter sucks then so be it. It was supposed to suck last year so in a way we're making up for the failed forecasts of last season.

In any winter all it takes is one storm to turn things around even in a bad pattern that's why you should never throw a winter away especially with two full months to go. I have February delivering at least one significant storm possibly a KU though January could also drop at least one good storm.

By jan 20th if i see no worthwhile change to our pattern to give us multiple snow threats i will cancel winter. VERY dissapointing thus far :popcorn:

So much for your -NAO/AO +PNA pattern.

Also if the law of averages is correct then we should get a string of bad winters after such a historically snowy period.

Then again Florida should've had a major hurricane by now so something's going on.

Continuing with the Billy Joel theme. First fantasy snowstorms now new pressure records.

That MSG residence is the real deal. ;)

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OREGON

1025 AM PST TUE DEC 30 2014

...HIGH PRESSURE READINGS BREAK NEW RECORDS...

UNUSUALLY HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE REGION IS CREATING HAVOC WITH

RESIDENTS SINUS AND HEADACHES. PRESSURE WILL PEAK THIS MORNING

THEN GRADUALLY FALL.

AT PORTLAND OREGON... **** NEW DECEMBER PRESSURE RECORD ****

BAROMETRIC PRESSURE REACHED 30.82 INCHES OF MERCURY THIS MORNING.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD DECEMBER HIGH PRESSURE RECORD OF

30.75 INCHES SET ON 1 DEC 2011.

THIS IS THE 2ND HIGHEST ALL TIME PRESSURE READING AT

THE PORTLAND AIRPORT (SINCE 1941).

THE ALL-TIME RECORD IS 30.90 INCHES WAS SET ON

1 FEB 1982.

AT ASTORIA OREGON... **** NEW ALL-TIME PRESSURE RECORD ****

BAROMETRIC PRESSURE REACHED 30.80 INCHES OF MERCURY THIS MORNING.

THIS IS THE HIGHEST RECORDED PRESSURE AT ASTORIA

(PRESSURE RECORDS START 1953).

THIS BREAKS THE ALL TIME HIGH PRESSURE RECORD OF

30.74 INCHES SET ON 14 DEC 1996.

AT EUGENE OREGON... *** DECEMBER RECORD WITHIN REACH ****

BAROMETRIC PRESSURE REACHED 30.68 INCHES OF MERCURY THIS MORNING.

THIS HAS TIED WITH 1987 AS THE 3RD HIGHEST RECORDED

PRESSURE FOR MONTH OF DECEMBER (RECORDS START 1945).

THE HIGH PRESSURE RECORD FOR DECEMBER AT EUGENE IS

30.72 INCHES SET ON 21 DEC 1998 AND 14 DEC 1996.

inches of mercury is so annoying

Nice clipper that tries to blow up on the gfs. It's light years away but it's systems like those that probably give us the best shot at snows.

Anything out of the SW will cause nothing but a train wreck without any blocking and a SE ridge. Last season we did well with those northern stream disturbances.

Desperation is definitely setting in when we have to start looking at a Day 8 clipper for hope. Yikes!

Reduced heating costs are great. Loss of income from snow removal for people such as myself is not. It's been really tuff, as other then 11/12 big time snow removal has been a cash cow.

It's more then just weenie suicide!

Snow removal income can be very uneven  here going back to 1950 which is mostly extended periods of feast or famine. The 2000's have really been a statistical snowfall anomaly even compared to historic snowy streaks.

Selling Italian Ices on the Long Beach Boardwalk this December has been the big cash cow. :P

Archived