joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roses are red, Violets are Blue, Try getting a life instead, And you'll thank this fat Jew.

One of my girlfriends tried lipo...another had her tummy tied / gastric bypass...not really the best results...my advice: healthy diet & exercise.

Try getting a life instead,

You know what the coach in The Bad News Bears said about assuming...

<truly an iconic, groundbreaking moment in American film IMO...not to mention philosophical discourse in general...probably needs to be mentioned in the same breath as the writings of Immanuel Kant & Rene Descartes...

starting to get the feeling this winter is going to be remembered in a bad way

Realistically this winter could be remembered by most people in a good way. Only the weenies pray for a cold and snowy winter with obvious exceptions being employers and employees that depend on snow for income.

The vast majority would love a mild non-snowy winter so winter weather is entirely subjective but greatly skews mild, less snowy.

Think about it snow and ice is a major traffic headache, a pain to clear and shovel, icy spots means danger for pedestrians and drivers, cost millions to remove especially around cities, causes lost pay due to closings and delays cold weather means high heating bills and potential hypothermia.

Realistically this winter could be remembered by most people in a good way. Only the weenies pray for a cold and snowy winter with obvious exceptions being employers and employees that depend on snow for income.

The vast majority would love a mild non-snowy winter so winter weather is entirely subjective but greatly skews mild, less snowy.

i think everyone likes to see some snow...plus i dont think this winter is going to be unusually warm just not cold enough at the right times 

Ahh....memories.....and I thought I was the only one. That weather radio was awesome. And yes, there was a blizzard warning for 1-2 feet of snow for my area in Worcester MA in Feb 1987, but when that moon kept on shining that night behind a silky veil, that sinking feeling took over and I knew we were in trouble. My instinct was right and we ended up with a dusting the next day while the Cape got a foot.

The best snowstorm surprise of my childhood was the 1-20-78 event. The evening NOAA Weather Radio forecast

was for rain. The next morning was the deepest snow that I had ever walked in up to that time.

The 14 inch snow resulted in a snow day from school.

The best snowstorm surprise of my childhood was the 1-20-78 event. The evening NOAA Weather Radio forecast

was for rain. The next morning was the deepest snow that I had ever walked in up to that time.

The 14 inch snow resulted in a snow day from school.

That storm is a cool memory.  I had an indoor track meet that Thursday night.  We got back late enough that there was already a couple of inches accumulation ( I am think 11PMish) and I still remember the 3 mile drive home in low viz after my father had picked me up at the school.  Friday morning I got up early to the expected disappointment and looked out the window to a whiteout with heavy falling and blowing snow and only our second snow day of the decade (first was 2/2/76).  We had 17" from that one ending with a coating of IP/ZR thick enough to walk on top of the crust.

http://www.northshorewx.com/19780120.asp

19780122-2.jpg

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAS VEGAS NV 237 PM PST SUN DEC 28 2014 ...RARE LOW ELEVATION SNOW NEW YEAR`S EVE INTO NEW YEAR`S DAY... .A COLD AND SOMEWHAT MOIST STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE SOUTH ACROSS CALIFORNIA ON TUESDAY AFTERNOON INTO TUESDAY NIGHT AND THEN ACROSS THE MOJAVE DESERT BETWEEN NEW YEAR`S EVE INTO NEW YEAR`S DAY. WITH SUFFICIENT COLD AIR IN PLACE AND MOISTURE MOVING INTO IT...SNOW WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO FALL AND ACCUMULATE AS LOW AS AROUND 2000 FEET. CAZ523>525-NVZ016-020>022-291230- /O.NEW.KVEF.WS.A.0005.141231T0000Z-150101T1800Z/ WESTERN MOJAVE DESERT-EASTERN MOJAVE DESERT-MORONGO BASIN- NORTHEAST CLARK COUNTY-LAS VEGAS VALLEY- LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA-SOUTHERN CLARK COUNTY- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BARSTOW...DAGGETT...FORT IRWIN... MOUNTAIN PASS...MITCHELL CAVERNS...MORONGO VALLEY... YUCCA VALLEY...LAS VEGAS...NORTH LAS VEGAS...BOULDER CITY... SUMMERLIN...MOUNTAINS EDGE...SEVEN HILLS...BLUE DIAMOND...PRIMM... SEARCHLIGHT...CAL-NEV-ARI 237 PM PST SUN DEC 28 2014 ...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LAS VEGAS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING. * TIMING: PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TUESDAY AFTERNOON INTO TUESDAY NIGHT...BE STEADIEST AND HEAVIEST WEDNESDAY MORNING INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING...THEN TAPER OFF LATE WEDNESDAY EVENING INTO NEW YEAR`S DAY. SNOW COULD BE STEADIEST AND HEAVIEST IN THE LAS VEGAS VALLEY ON NEW YEAR`S EVE IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS. * SNOW LEVEL: SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO START BETWEEN 2500 AND 3000 FEET THEN LOWER TO AROUND 2000 FEET. * TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: A TRACE TO 3 INCHES IS EXPECTED IN MOST AREAS ABOVE 2000 FEET...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY IN ANY AREAS THAT SIT UNDER ANY PRECIPITATION BANDS LONGER OR SIT IN FAVORABLE TERRAIN LOCATIONS. SOME WET SNOW MAY MIX IN WITH RAIN AS LOW AS 1500 FEET BUT IS NOT EXPECTED TO ACCUMULATE. * WINDS: NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS AT 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 15 TO 20 MPH. * IMPACTS: TRAVEL COULD BE DIFFICULT...IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE...ON AREA ROADS. PASSES...GRADES AND SUMMITS WOULD BE THE MOST TREACHEROUS AREAS AS WELL AS ROADS IN LOWER ELEVATIONS WHERE SNOW REMOVAL EQUIPMENT IS VERY LIMITED. TRAVEL FROM SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COULD BE IMPACTED ALONG INTERSTATE 15 IN MANY LOCATIONS BETWEEN THE CAJON PASS AND LAS VEGAS INCLUDING MOUNTAIN PASS AND HALLORAN SUMMIT AS WELL AS ON INTERSTATE 40 BETWEEN BARSTOW AND LUDLOW. IN THE LAS VEGAS VALLEY...HILLY ROADS ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF TOWN SUCH AS IN SUMMERLIN...ANTHEM AND SEVEN HILLS WOULD BE THE MOST DIFFICULT TO DRIVE ON.

That storm is a cool memory.  I had an indoor track meet that Thursday night.  We got back late enough that there was already a couple of inches accumulation ( I am think 11PMish) and I still remember the 3 mile drive home in low viz after my father had picked me up at the school.  Friday morning I got up early to the expected disappointment and looked out the window to a whiteout with heavy falling and blowing snow and only our second snow day of the decade (first was 2/2/76).  We had 17" from that one ending with a coating of IP/ZR thick enough to walk on top of the crust.

http://www.northshorewx.com/19780120.asp

Days like that helped balance out to a degree the snowstorm forecasts that eventually went OTS like we saw in winters like 79-80.

I was glad the February 1980 event missed since my plane coming back to JFK at the time.

How one knows one has gone through a bad pattern:

1. People remain stuck on the rear-view mirror image of a fading bad pattern, despite the onset of a new colder pattern. In fact, people are so fixated on the recent bad pattern that it could be snowing outside and no one would notice.
  2. A pattern change to a colder regime is marketed as a temporary and small relaxation of a relentlessly warm pattern.
  3. Probabilistic assessments are translated into deterministic outcomes: 100% probability of warmth; 0% probability of cold; 100% probability of rain when there is precipitation; 0% chance of snow when there is precipitation.
  4. GFS fantasy range snowstorms that usually garner attention are completely ignored, but GFS fantasy range cutters are proclaimed as events certain to occur.
  5. The ECMWF is proclaimed a “false idol” with the single GFS, CMC, or ECMWF ensemble member that shows the least wintry outcome crowned the new “King.”
  6. Persistent model forecasts of cold with possible opportunities for snowfall are attributed to model bias and/or model initialization errors.
  7. Many live in fear of an “eternal,” “unstoppable,” and “invincible” Pacific Jet that will blast the current winter and all future winters to oblivion. Many hold similar views with regard to the Atlantic’s beast, the Southeast Ridge.
  8. A robust EPO- is diagnosed as being in the “wrong place” to bring cold to North America, even as it begins to replenish Canada with cold air.
  9. A negative AO and negative NAO are declared extinct at AmericanWx.
  10. The most popular analogs promoted at AmericanWx become 2001-02 and 2011-12.

"Tis better to have loved and lost...then never to have loved at all"

___Tennyson

"Yes...but that was before the advent of community property laws."

___Daria

"Tis better to have loved and lost...then never to have loved at all"

___Tennyson

"Yes...but that was before the advent of community property laws."

___Daria

Hi Ms Pamela, 

I'm one of the few males, i guess, that is actually thankful for those laws.

For me the 'Sounds Of Silence" has morphed into S. & G's "Old Friends" The park bench. The photgraph. "Preserve your memories, ther all thats left you"

I aplolgize for the wandering.

As alwys, Rich

Archived