Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well ; good news I hear Euro day 8 shows snowstorm for our area. With this kind of winter any news must be welcomed. ..all kiddin aside I don't believe euro but. .I do believe it will snow sometime in January..last 2 times that were snowless was 2008 and before that was I believe 1933

I'm surprised no storm chance thread was made yet lol

Well ; good news I hear Euro day 8 shows snowstorm for our area. With this kind of winter any news must be welcomed. ..all kiddin aside I don't believe euro but. .I do believe it will snow sometime in January..last 2 times that were snowless was 2008 and before that was I believe 1933

0z Euro mean was a lakes cutter

When it eventually does snow, everyone will enjoy it and be very grateful for it. In years when it's snowing every week, don't we tend to take it for granted?

A question for you all: How much snow (either in a single storm or over the course of a season) would ever be too much where you would say "enough already"?

what does a KU storm mean? not familiar with that

Traditionally, "KU" broadly refers to a historical snowstorm listed as a case study in the 2004 publication Northeast Snowstorms by Paul Kocin and Louis Uccellini, or any more recent storm of a comparable caliber to the initial set of NESIS-rated storms. When you refer to a current, future, or hypothetical snowstorm as a KU, you're essentially speculating on the criterion for inclusion in an updated Northeast Snowstorms edition. Most major snowstorms today are rated against the NESIS by NCDC (6 out of the 10 lowest-rated storms have occurred since 2009), but whether those count as true KUs are a matter of opinion.

When it eventually does snow, everyone will enjoy it and be very grateful for it. In years when it's snowing every week, don't we tend to take it for granted?

A question for you all: How much snow (either in a single storm or over the course of a season) would ever be too much where you would say "enough already"?

Let's be serious here. ;)

At least temperatures have been pleasant. I'm all for milder temps if it won't snow. Another beautiful and mild weekend expected let's keep it going.

Well, if you are getting mild temps. it's not going to snow. Step 1 for snow is cold. Bring the cold, and at least there is a chance of snow at some point. 

Well, if you are getting mild temps. it's not going to snow. Step 1 for snow is cold. Bring the cold, and at least there is a chance of snow at some point.

Just because it's cold doesn't mean it'll snow. Snowfall is all about the pattern and storm tracks. It could be below zero hours before a storm hits and it'll warm up to the 40s or greater during a cutter.

If the pattern doesn't support snow which right now it doesn't then why should temps be cold. This is subjective of course if you enjoy the cold regardless.

Just because it's cold doesn't mean it'll snow. Snowfall is all about the pattern and storm tracks. It could be below zero hours before a storm hits and it'll warm up to the 40s or greater during a cutter.

If the pattern doesn't support snow which right now it doesn't then why should temps be cold. This is subjective of course if you enjoy the cold regardless.

That's not what I'm saying though. What I'm saying is, if it's warm, it's not going to snow. If it's cold, there is at least a shot. That doesn't mean it has to happen

Alot of Debbie downers

I know tell me about it. How many times do they need to say the same thing over and over again. Ok we get it! You think January and the rest of winter is over! Other than bluewave and a couple others who back it up with actual reasoning, and most of us appreciate, these other people do nothing but b*itch and complain like babies and are out of control like snow is life and death or something. Trust me, there are more important things in life. We all want snow, and we are all frustrated with how this winter is turning out so far, I get that, but again, its not the end of the world. I survived some snowless winters growing up in South Jersey in the 80's. Now those days were rough!! Hahaha Ok I'm done with my rant. Hahaha

The lack of snow is pleasing many and I can see why......less accidents, less injuries, less disruptions, less headaches. As much as I love snow, the lack of it has allowed me to go to work as I drive long distance and because of an accident I had last year due to snow, I do not drive in snow anymore unless an absolute emergency. I had a bout with cancer this year and though I am ok now, I am financially way set back now. So, I am grateful that this lack of snow is giving me a chance to drive and work and make some needed money. For those who depend on snow to make money, I am empathetic to your situation.

Im enjoying the mild weather. ...nice on the old heating bill! I would just like one 10"+ snowstorm tho before this winter is over.

The lack of snow is pleasing many and I can see why......less accidents, less injuries, less disruptions, less headaches. As much as I love snow, the lack of it has allowed me to go to work as I drive long distance and because of an accident I had last year due to snow, I do not drive in snow anymore unless an absolute emergency. I had a bout with cancer this year and though I am ok now, I am financially way set back now. So, I am grateful that this lack of snow is giving me a chance to drive and work and make some needed money. For those who depend on snow to make money, I am empathetic to your situation.

Its gorgeous out. Don't need a coat, heat is off. Screw the snow

There were plenty of snow surprises both positive and negative up to just before the 93 superstorm.

It seems like the Euro really improved enough by that time for more reliable snowfall forecasts.

I guess the younger generation today just takes for granted how much better the weather forecasts 

are today than back in the 70's and 80's when I was growing up. The positive snow surprises of

1-20-78 and 1-23-87 slightly made up for the many  snowstorms forecasts that never materialized.

You knew when NOAA Weather Radio was calling for 3-6 inches and the moon was visible through

a thin overcast that the storm was heading out to sea to our SE.

It sure feels like that happened a half dozen times or so in the early and mid 80's.  I remember laying in bed with my Radio Shack weather radio as a kid, with a bust clearly indicated by the moonlight as you said, but holding out hope since the recorded forecast kept looping unchanged...

Archived