joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2014 Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think this could be the type of winter with a really epic 2-4 week period and nada otherwise, but it is pretty discouraging right now.  Remember when the post-Xmas time looked really cold and stormy on the long range ensembles?  *sigh* :(

I'm holding out hope that the NAO tanks in Feb with a little SSW....maybe we get at least one good storm this winter.

Great hike, isn't it?  Awesome that you got a bear sighting.  I hiked that 2 days after T-day.  Saw lots of tracks due to the snow, but no wildlife.  Amazing scenery though.  Hit the snow-line about 1000' or so, and by about 1600' got to full snow depth of about 8 inches.  We took the backside route (up the fire trail) to the peak and stayed on the shade side.  Trail was treacherous and made for a great adventure.  Best hiking of my life.

EMAkoIw.jpg

W8xSTpM.jpg

bpnlGSH.jpg

me and my brother (foreground) nearing the peak.

s0BJ4lH.jpg

A view looking west on the way up the trail

Awesome pictures!  Yes, it's great hike.  I'm not how you got up there with all the snow.  A few years ago, a group of us got up to "no camping" elevation on the other side and had to turn back because of ice.  There's no way we could have made it through the boulder sections without killing ourselves.  I imagine the other side is possible, but that had to be, as you said, treacherous.

Awesome pictures!  Yes, it's great hike.  I'm not how you got up there with all the snow.  A few years ago, a group of us got up to "no camping" elevation on the other side and had to turn back because of ice.  There's no way we could have made it through the boulder sections without killing ourselves.  I imagine the other side is possible, but that had to be, as you said, treacherous.

There were lots of places we hung onto trees to pull ourselves up.  Surprisingly, there were lots of tracks, so many people went before us.  Of course, that only served to pack the trail into ice.  Lots of spills, especially on the way back down, but the snow made it difficult and that's what I liked so much about it.  That's why we didn't take the alternate route and go through the rock scrambles, although looking down from the peak, it appeared that there was much less snow on that side due to the sun.

Everything trends wetter. That's the one!

We get a +pna for a couple days beyond whatever happens this weekend. All models seem to generally agree on that. A NS vort could be the ticket to get on the board. At least it would favor temps cold enough to stick for more than 20 minutes.

Para has it too and it looks juicier.  

7drHiqr.gif

I honestly don't mind not getting snow, especially if no one else is. But my wife told me that, as she and my (nearly two-year-old) daughter were leaving Tyson's Corner mall yesterday, my daughter got so excited at the snow shower that she started singing and saying she wanted to go "up, up, up, fly...Mama up, up!" And then when it stopped she got really sad.

Broke my heart. :(

I christened the new snow blower with some of my Aunt Dixie's famous egg nog this morning.  Pattern flip eminent!!!  In the mean time enjoy these!

Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZvrcC4VuJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enNy3kwQApc

Those are cool.  I hated watching the sun melt everything.

Archived