• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter

mackerel_sky

Will be spending three days in Pigeon Forge having an old fashioned Dollywood holiday celebration 12/28-12/30. Can't wait to be at an amusement park with some snow or cold, good times!

Nah, it will be seasonal. The cold will be showing up around the 1/9-1-11 starting on the 28th. Maybe a SSW can help dislodge the PV on this side of Earth.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can just imagine:

1.99" - Wow, this is going to be a memorable storm!  Repeat of Jan 2000!!!!! WOO!!!

2.38" - Wow, game-on!  SNOWMAGGEDON!!!

2.77" - Can we break 30"?!?!?!

2.39" - Still game-on... just some waffling.

1.46" - Still a major storm.  We're gonna get slammed!

0.97" - We can still be happy with our 6-10"... right?  :yikes:

0.28" -  :o  :lmao:

0.06" -  :axe:

That's just Mother Nature's way of reminding us we're in Ol' North State  :lol:

I guess we are tracking this saturday storm, but just thinking this is going to trend a little warmer as we go through the week....there is such a lack of cold air in the eastern U.S.

I agree.  The high pressure shown several days ago on the Euro made it to 1032 in a fairly favorable spot.  Since then it seems to be weakening and moving a little further north with time.............guessing as a result of a less stout or less favorably placed 50/50.

Unless it bombs south and east of the area, it's going to be mostly rain.

Nothing remotely interesting until after christmas IMO.  I am really confused as to why there's a storm thread really. 

I like the pattern progression through this morning, it's getting closer.  I'm fine with the hammer dropping after 1/1 with the transition after christmas....  If GEFS is right we'll have a nice -NAO/EPO/AO and +PNA.  I can't remember the last time we had that.  If we keep the active STJ, geez louise things are going to be fun around here.  :snowwindow:

We only get but a couple of snow events, don't want to waste one on some rain/snow mix with ground temps in the 50's.  Would rather this track up the apps and shake things up.

Yeah, agree. How much does the clown give me in SE Wake? I'm going to keep track of fantasy snow this year, so I need to know. :D

We only get but a couple of snow events, don't want to waste one on some rain/snow mix with ground temps in the 50's.  Would rather this track up the apps and shake things up.

I agree pack...If this would cut up the apps we would be in a lot better shape for the systems following this one.

Regarding GFS Parallel verification...

I don't necessarily think that the PGFS is some great implementation, but the statement that the Day 6 verification scores "were horrendous" is a stretch.  For the past 30 days it is statistically tied with the operational GFS....well I guess you could call that 
"horrendous".

What worries me (personally) is that it was pretty poor in a few high impact events this season, including significant boundary layer temperature biases for the marginal events.

2 of the top 4 CIP's 5h analogs...just saying...I wish I could post the EuroWx snow map which some people feel like is a realistic snow map  :whistle:

Edit:  The Dec,2002 ice storm is in the analog set too.  I didn't check all of them, just ones that I remembered.

accum.19880108.gif

This is one of my favorite storms.  I was a senior in high school and we had a blast w/ this storm!

Archived