Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not even close to December yet.

Anyhow, these SSW are trash.Many folks on November 18th was talking about how the warming looks good and now there is nothing to show for that.

Now we are waiting till January.

"A couple of things I took from that...if he is correct and there is a SSW in early January then things would get interesting in mid/late January."

Its pretty interesting to read through the entire winter thread and see where we are today. The warm start to December should be no surprise to anyone except Kirk Mellish who said the Arctic hounds would be released now.

Next 10 days here are warm and sunny.

Anyhow, these SSW are trash.Many folks on November 18th was talking about how the warming looks good and now there is nothing to show for that.

"A couple of things I took from that...if he is correct and there is a SSW in early January then things would get interesting in mid/late January."

Its pretty interesting to read through the entire winter thread and see where we are today. The warm start to December should be no surprise to anyone except Kirk Mellish who said the Arctic hounds would be released now.

I don't know what the swamp calendar says, but tomorrow is December, but what evs ! :)

yeah you're right, it's not even close to December. Its a whole 12 hours away !

So the next 7 days look to be well above normal. Anyone know when temps will at least get close to normal again ?

In your backyard, that is.

On the other hand, I'm expecting quite below normal temperatures for Tuesday and Wednesday, living in the shadow of the Apps.  Here comes the wedge with highs in the upper 30s or low 40s.

In your backyard, that is.

On the other hand, I'm expecting quite below normal temperatures for Tuesday and Wednesday, living in the shadow of the Apps. Here comes the wedge with highs in the upper 30s or low 40s.

Exactly! It's all a balancing act . 65-70 today and tomorrow , then 40s for 2 days and then seasonal for a few days = a week of avg temps, not a torch

Highs 5- 10 degrees above normal and lows 15 degrees above normal for AT LEAST 7 straight days is what I call a torch. At this point, I'm just praying for seasonal temps. It wouldn't surprise me if the first half of December is at least 5 degrees above normal, which means we better have some serious cold the second half of December just to end the month near normal.

Highs 5- 10 degrees above normal and lows 15 degrees above normal for AT LEAST 7 straight days is what I call a torch. At this point, I'm just praying for seasonal temps. It wouldn't surprise me if the first half of December is at least 5 degrees above normal, which means we better have some serious cold the second half of December just to end the month near normal.

Some of you guys just worry and nitpick over 7+ day forecasts way too much.  Do you expect to live in a freezer locker?  It's been a quite enjoyable below normal "winter" season so far, and I expect nothing less going forward.  But, if the pattern flips so that I get weeks on end of 70-degree temps, then I'll somehow manage to struggle through and get on with my life.  It will be tough, but I think I'll somehow manage.

Some of you guys just worry and nitpick over 7+ day forecasts way too much.  Do you expect to live in a freezer locker?  It's been a quite enjoyable below normal "winter" season so far, and I expect nothing less going forward.  But, if the pattern flips so that I get weeks on end of 70-degree temps, then I'll somehow manage to struggle through and get on with my life.  It will be tough, but I think I'll somehow manage.

I may go into deep depression if we have a couple of weeks dominated by 70's here in Savannah in early Dec. What could be worse in life than that? LMAO about some of the comments here although I'm sure that in reality there's a lot of trolling going on and some of these posters are laughing their butts off behind the scenes.

I may go into deep depression if we have a couple of weeks dominated by 70's here in Savannah in early Dec. What could be worse in life than that? LMAO about some of the comments here although I'm sure that in reality there's a lot of trolling going on and some of these posters are laughing their butts off behind the scenes.

I'm seriously not trolling. I don't want 70s or even 60s in December. December is not a transition month. I want temps to be consistently cold in the winter just like we see consistent warmth in the summer. Temps are supposed to be up and down in the fall and spring, not winter or summer !

I'm seriously not trolling. I don't want 70s or even 60s in December. December is not a transition month. I want temps to be consistently cold in the winter just like we see consistent warmth in the summer. Temps are supposed to be up and down in the fall and spring, not winter or summer !

I'm pretty sure your average high temps this time of year are low 60's.

Atlanta has averages in the upper 50's (58 to 60 is common) and lows averaging around 40 for the first week in December. It should start a slow decline as we end the  month, but never really getting below 51/33 for the minimum point, if I recall...

I'm sure Larry has this nailed down so we should ask him.

Atlanta has averages in the upper 50's (58 to 60 is common) and lows averaging around 40 for the first week in December. It should start a slow decline as we end the  month, but never really getting below 51/33 for the minimum point, if I recall...

I'm sure Larry has this nailed down so we should ask him.

Your #'s all look accurate to me for ATL.

Here in SAV, normal highs are still around the mid 60's then.

average temps according to weather.com are 58/35 on November 30. There are several nights forecast to be near 50 in the next week which is just ridiculous.

Highs in 50s, lows in 30s are pretty much the norm in December. Actually that's the norm for Jan and Feb also. There really is no big temp difference in any of the winter months. January is usually pretty similar to December, just a couple degrees colder on avg.

that's Katl. I'm talking about mby and let's face it the avg low temp is definitely several degrees cooler in areas outside of atl.

Yes, but it still seems too cold. I'd estimate more like 38ish. There shouldn't be a 5 degree difference on average since most nights are not good radiational cooling nights.

Yes, but it still seems too cold. I'd estimate more like 38ish. There shouldn't be a 5 degree difference on average since most nights are not good radiational cooling nights.

I'm just going by weather.com.it's really hard to say what my average low would be but I think it's safe to say it's in the 30s. I know my average low that I've recorded so far in November is running 4 degrees colder than at the airport. I have a pretty expensive weather station so it's probably fairly accurate.

To all of you crying about some warm days in December, please tell me all the years it has been wall to wall cold in the SE (ESPECIALLY freaking Ga.).  I'll hang up and listen.  :rolleyes:

ATL hasn't had a winter for at least the better part of 100 years without at least 20% of the days warmer than normal. Even 1976-7 had ~25% warmer than normal.

Archived