joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December obs/disco/short range

Ian

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Xbox would imply a little snow to start maybe for places N&W of 95. Maybe even 1" of accumulation?

It's really tight in the midlevels for snow. The ptype maps don't really jibe with the 850 panels. Winwxlvr looks to be in one of the better spots for a combo of ok temps and precip. Further north has better temps but not good on the qpf during the window.

I'm hugging tomorrow nights hrrr. It did really well with the last event

It's really tight in the midlevels for snow. The ptype maps don't really jibe with the 850 panels. Winwxlvr looks to be in one of the better spots for a combo of ok temps and precip. Further north has better temps but not good on the qpf during the window.

I'm hugging tomorrow nights hrrr. It did really well with the last event

The closest sounding I can get close to me would imply snow not likely. That was the GFS I looked at.

00z NAM Raleigh snow maps show 2 to 3 inches of snow across N VA and DC... makes some sense since the 850 0c line is right in the area when the heaviest QPF comes in between 09z and 15z Tues morning... though I wonder if that is sleet accumulation based off of further evaluation of the soundings

Soundings barely support SN at DCA hr 36

ETA: more of a sleet sounding... but if rates good enough maybe snow instead?

The sounding for DCA, IAD and JYO support sleet at 36 hours, not snow, there is a warm layer above 850 mb,  FDK could be either sleet or snow as the temp in the warm layer is above freezing but about .8C. 

The sounding for DCA, IAD and JYO support sleet at 36 hours, not snow, there is a warm layer above 850 mb, FDK could be either sleet or snow as the temp in the warm layer is above freezing but about .8C.

Thanks Wes, had to go back and edit my post. Looks like a sleet storm Tuesday morning, how fun

It looks close on type out here.

Two questions...what causes a warm layer at basically only one specific level and how deep is that layer?

It's not that deep of a layer, MRB still was a sleet sounding at 12z so I assume your sounding would be similar.   Warm layers don't need to be too deep.  In this case it develops because the really cold air is coming in at the surface due to damming and is being overrun by warmer southwesterly winds aloft.  Our problem in this case is that we are not in the deep cold air. 

It's not that deep of a layer, MRB still was a sleet sounding at 12z so I assume your sounding would be similar. Warm layers don't need to be too deep. In this case it develops because the really cold air is coming in at the surface due to damming and is being overrun by warmer southwesterly winds aloft. Our problem in this case is that we are not in the deep cold air.

Thanks Wes. Reason I ask is, my sounding is below at 750 and 850, but above at 800. I was wondering what the distance between them in feet was on average. My guess is about 3000-3500 feet?

GFS clearly shows a warming surface trend for Tuesday morning. I don't see much frozen for the cities.

I think because the lower levels are so cold, it is probably sleet even with 850 mb temps above zero...perhaps a met can confirm, but I would guess this is sleet....this is DC at 36 hours...surface is probably 34, so there will be no real impact unless it is heavy....

post-66-0-12918500-1417408767_thumb.png

Here is my facebook forecast for DC

I wouldn't want to have to make a forecast for the far north and west burbs but for DC It is a bit easier, though by no means set in stone. Rain starts tomorrow evening, and temps slowly drop overnight. We mix with and change to sleet early morning on Tuesday, and temps fall into the low to mid 30s, but likely stay just above freezing. Later as temps rise we change back over to all rain. I don't expect any accumulation, especially on the street. Maybe a coating on car tops. It should become clearer by tomorrow evening. Doesn't look like a big deal for DC.

I think because the lower levels are so cold, it is probably sleet even with 850 mb temps above zero...perhaps a met can confirm, but I would guess this is sleet....this is DC at 36 hours...surface is probably 34, so there will be no real impact unless it is heavy....

That there be a sleet sounding. Maybe a few deformed flakes that didn't quite melt mixing in as well... melting layer isn't impressively strong in that particular example.

Archived