SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a visual person. When I see nothing but crap it makes me nervous. And the 12z euro ens is visually appealing. Pac jet gets shut off, +pna, and goa trough goes bye bye. Time to start tracking a white christmas. 

Yes!  Finally nice to start seeing some red colors up into AK instead of the dreaded blue heights.

I'm a visual person. When I see nothing but crap it makes me nervous. And the 12z euro ens is visually appealing. Pac jet gets shut off, +pna, and goa trough goes bye bye. Time to start tracking a white christmas. 

I will be visiting the old home town and going to my daughters graduation at VT the week before Christmas.. so let the dumping start on Dec 23rd.. I am going to rent an AWD auto just in case as the I-81 trip from Winchester to Blacksburg can be hell in bad weather. 

Kinda on the edge of short/medium range for the next week event. I guess most of the discussion is still here for now.

Mount Holly seems a bit too bullish (to me) on potential wintry weather for this storm. My forecast has rain/snow for Mon night and Tues, and snow showers Tuesday night. This looks like an interior event for frozen stuff and mostly from north central PA up into NE.

Interesting from their AFD:

MODELS ARE CONSISTENTLY ADVERTISING A CLASSIC SETUP FOR EAST COAST
CYCLOGENISIS IN THE TUESDAY TIME FRAME /D+4/. SEPARATE NORTHERN AND
SOUTHERN STREAM S/WVS CURRENTLY LOCATED OVER THE EPAC WILL CREST
OVER A MID-LEVEL RIDGE ANCHORED OVER THE WEST COAST OF NOAM ON
SATURDAY. A SERIES OF VIGOROUS S/WV DISTURBANCES OVER THE NPAC
WILL RAPIDLY INCREASE THE AMPLITUDE OF THE WEST COAST RIDGE LATER
IN THE WEEKEND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. THIS WILL LEAD TO DOWNSTREAM
TROUGHING ACROSS THE E CONUS DURING THE TUE - WED TIME FRAME. THE
MAIN SOURCE OF UNCERTAINTY IN MODEL SOLUTIONS IS TWO FOLD. FIRST...
HOW WILL THE MODELS RESOLVE MULTIPLE VORTICITY MAXIMA AS THIS
AFFECTS THE EVOLUTION OF THE TROUGH...AND THE SUBSEQUENT TIMING AND
LOCATION OF CYCLOGENISIS. SECOND...HOW WILL THE MODELS RESOLVE A
SECONDARY S/WV /CURRENTLY OVER THE ALEUTIANS/ DIVING INTO THE MS
VALLEY ALONG THE BACK SIDE OF THE TROUGH...POSSIBLY LEADING TO A
CLOSING OFF OF THE TROUGH OVER THE NORTHEAST WHICH WOULD IMPLY A
SLOWER MOVING STORM BY MID-WEEK.

THE ECMWF/UKMET/GFS AND CMC ALL AGREE ON A DEEP E CONUS TROUGH THAT
BECOMES NEGATIVELY TITLED AND CLOSES OFF BY 00Z WED. WITH REGARD TO
THE TRACK...THE CMC HAS CONSISTENTLY BEEN THE FURTHEST WEST RIGHT
ALONG THE COAST AND THE EURO HAS NOW JOINED IT...WHILE THE UKMET IS
BETWEEN THE CMC/ECMWF AND THE 40N, 70W BENCHMARK. THE GFS REMAINS
AN OUTLIER WITH A TRACK MUCH FURTHER TO THE SOUTHEAST...BECAUSE IT
KEEPS THE BULK OF THE ENERGY TO THE NORTH ALONG THE US-CANADIAN
BORDER...WHICH IS UNREALISTIC GIVEN EVOLUTION OF THE PATTERN. THE
ECENS FAVORS A TRACK INVOF THE BENCHMARK AND CLOSE TO HALF OF THE
GEFS MEMBERS FAVOR THE ECENS BENCHMARK SOLUTION OR SLIGHTLY TO
THE SOUTHEAST. WE`RE STILL AT THE D+4 TO D+5 RANGE...SO CANNOT
LOCK ON TO ANY PARTICULAR MODEL OR TREND IN THE TRACK. IT/S ALSO
INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT EARLY TO MID NEXT WEEK...THE NAO IS
PREDICTED TO GO BRIEFLY NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE...A SIGNATURE
ASSOCIATED WITH EAST COAST CYCLOGENISIS.

This is an excellent pattern so far. Strong high pressures to the north but it's just that -10 departures will not do it right now, later on different story.

Rain falling with a high barometer reading has been kind of a hallmark this season.  I agree it's an important and atypical clue you don't hear so much about, and would love the persistence to leave us on the powdery NW fringe of the storm track in January and February.

It's Friday night.  Sounds like you need a drink. 

Obligatory weather content:  seems like any positive pattern change is maybe late next week?  Around the 19th-20th? 

Yeah the week after next.... I would hope by the 20th we would at least be seeing some sensible changes. Right now its just way out there modeled hints of better times.

Yeah the week after next.... I would hope by the 20th we would at least be seeing some sensible changes. Right now its just way out there modeled hints of better times.

Thanks for the catch, fixed my original post. 

18z GEFS is the best look I've yet seen.  This is a nice looking pattern, not just a step above the crud that's coming. 

post-51-0-16645200-1417825297_thumb.png

And was terribly slow to the party on the Thanksgiving storm

I have no idea as I wasn't paying that much attention. The NAM is obviously way out of its wheelhouse(if it even has one), but even the 12z run @ 84 hours it has a pretty good developing low on the SE coast. The GFS still had all its eggs in the NS basket.

Thanks for the catch, fixed my original post.

18z GEFS is the best look I've yet seen. This is a nice looking pattern, not just a step above the crud that's coming.

Yep, gefs looks good. Very similar to the 12z euro ens. Especially in the goa/western canada/AK area.

It's moved forward in time since the early hints yesterday. Hopefully that doesn't reverse.

LWX has my Point-and-Click forecast highs below normal every day until next Friday. If that's the worst this bad pattern is gonna deliver, I'm dealing just fine. It's been wet and chilly for weeks now. Can't ask for much better from early December.

The talk about the "horrible pattern" has gone mostly theoretical at this point and is sort of decoupled from reality on the ground.

The talk about the "horrible pattern" has gone mostly theoretical at this point and is sort of decoupled from reality on the ground.

It's a horrible snow pattern. We're getting lucky with surface temps through the period but it's just window dressing.

0z gefs is another step towards a better snow pattern down the line though. Looks like the crappy Pac pattern may get the boot sooner rather than later.

Another nice set over overnight ensemble runs. Gefs members are slowly piling on to a blocky look. The window of change looks to be the 16th-20th for us.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we will be tracking several legit threats before the year is over. Possibly one near Xmas....

Tho is looks like the euro weeklies pushed back the pattern by a few days.  Now it doesn't get good until xmas and then lasts through the rest of the run. 

Tho is looks like the euro weeklies pushed back the pattern by a few days. Now it doesn't get good until xmas and then lasts through the rest of the run.

True. But one thing I picked up on with the weeklies is they are identical to the 0z ens runs and then go from there at d16-32. If the ec ens speed up or slow down a change the weeklies will follow. Comparing last night's d15 to the weeklies d17 shows that things are trending faster. Its certainly a half full weenie approach but there are some noticeable differences in our favor to getting there a bit quicker.

This is an excellent pattern so far. Strong high pressures to the north but it's just that -10 departures will not do it right now, later on different story.

Agree. It's encouraging to see a train of strong HP consistently to our north (despite the pesky lakes low for the beginning of next week) and a stream of STJ energy and moisture.

Some clarity showing on the 12z euro ens run. Looks like either a strong sw or possible closed low traverses almost due east. Once the trough gets here (d12?) It stays. SE has below normal heights and temps d12-15. Pna/epo look to start the transition to favorable as the storm makes its trip.

I agree with matt about the Atlantic. Not good but the ao looks to go negative. Hopefully the big area of high heights in Canada move towards the Davis straight down the line.

Archived