SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading many of these comments makes it seem like we have no chance of seeing snow throughout the forecast period. Although that may be true, it's no guarantee. We all know how bad the operational models are at long lead times and though the ensembles tend to give the better overall patterns in the long range, they are by no average means perfect (pun intended). It's not like we're heading towards 60-70 highs like we have in past Decembers. On the bright side of long term guidance, the most recent euro ensemble run even has the 850's error bars never rising above 50 degrees in D.C. ;)http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&CONT=namk&MODELL=ecmwfts&MODELLTYP=2&VAR=t850&WMO=72400&ZOOM=0&RES=0&PERIOD=&PANEL=0&ARCHIV=0&BASE=201412030000%26HH%3D0

eta: I guess the worst case scenario would come close to upper 60's if the high end outlier verified. At least the low outlier is safely below freezing at 850.

Here is a nice discussion I found from the old easternuswx forum about extrapolating 850mb to surface temps. http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/145709-converting-850mb-temps-to-surface-temps/

Just a tad late but close though. Pretty nice spin as it goes underneath us. Very close to closing off in time. If we pull off a measurable event it will make the upcoming furnace much more bearable. 

Lots of below normal days on this run. Still not sold we'll ever truly torch long. 

Lots of below normal days on this run. Still not sold we'll ever truly torch long. 

The +pna shot has been well modeled. Ensembles will always look warmer than reality because of timing spread. And I agree, our area and se looks to be spared the brunt of the "potential" warmth beyond d10 but the NA height pattern is pretty hostile for any organized snow chances and may be more persistent than we want to see. GEFS and EC ens have been in close agreement for 3+ days. Sneaking in a fluke this month sure would be nice though...

So you're saying we have a chance....

I'm going to ride the Phineas corollary and say these warmups will probably continue to be muted. 

Ind euro members last night showed limited support to both potential events but enough members to keep an eye out. The only way event 1 could work for us is a closed ULL to our south like the euro showed. We would need the dynamics to take care of a very marginal airmass. Sucks that these canadian hp's are so shallow. HP that strong in that location is almost always a cold column during Dec. 

Ind euro members last night showed limited support to both potential events but enough members to keep an eye out. The only way event 1 could work for us is a closed ULL to our south like the euro showed. We would need the dynamics to take care of a very marginal airmass. Sucks that these canadian hp's are so shallow. HP that strong in that location is almost always a cold column during Dec.

So we pray for a storm to generate its own cold? I know this song and dance...

Since 1979, the following Nov-Jan surface temperature composites were made based mainly on North Pacific currents. There is a slight bias toward Nino, but there are notable Nina events included.

For the autumn, the SST analogs have been very good and continue to remain a strong tool. If that is the case....

post-176-0-00188200-1417636888_thumb.jpg

Since 1979, the following Nov-Jan surface temperature composites were made based mainly on North Pacific currents. There is a slight bias toward Nino, but there are notable Nina events included.

For the autumn, the SST analogs have been very good and continue to remain a strong tool. If that is the case....

Santa....you're 3 weeks early!

You still Da' Man!

I've been riding this MJO forecast for the past week like its stolen, hoping it could shake up the progged pattern mid-month:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The GFS has been rock-solid with this outlook, never wavering. Of course, the ECMWF has been just as consistent in showing the pulse dampening in the West Pacific.

Even if the wave gets to Phase 6/7, it *should* provide some pattern-altering forcing.  Maybe it won't be enough, but it shouldn't hurt. 

Euro ens dropped a little cookie down the line. GOA trough starts retro-ing at the end. Better look to the isobars in the west and not as compressed in Canada. Might be an early sign that the pac flow may start getting cut off. Maybe later in the month goes back to +PNA. 

Still pretty meh over greenland and the pole but it looks like the progression similar to week 3 of the latest weeklies. 

Kind of what I figured.

It's largely run by a PhD met I think though they share an awful lot of snow maps to day 10 etc. One of those things other mets complain about when "kids" do but then orgs get a free pass. 

If you're willing to buy the Day 13-15 GEFS with a healthy dose of salt, it possibly shows something positive.  The high heights that are present throughout the central and eastern CONUS and Canada around Day 10 shrink and move toward northern Hudson Bay and Baffin island.  This is a nice positioning for a west-based -NAO.  It's a long way off and wouldn't work alone to make us flip to a frigid wintry pattern, but it's about the only positive thing I can see right now. 

Archived