joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve Nor'Easter OBS ONLY

TeleConnectSnow

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleet has been falling in Larchmont, NY for some time, but the ground was coated in places by snow. The modest accumulation this early in the season is a nice treat. It provides perhaps a hint of what lies ahead, especially with some of the ensembles pointing to the development of an AO-/PNA+ pattern in the longer-range.

In the meantime, I wish all those in inland areas, particularly up the Hudson Valley, northwestern NJ, and northwestern Connecticut all the best with what should work out to be a pretty nice snowstorm for them.

Some nice big white flakes here in Lodi NJ. Roads look messy. Eyeballing, it looks like half an inch to an inch on the ground. Grass is nicely covered.

Suppose to head out to Warren county later today, we'll see if that ends up happening depeninding on roads out there.

Sleet has been falling in Larchmont, NY for some time, but the ground was coated in places by snow. The modest accumulation this early in the season is a nice treat. It provides perhaps a hint of what lies ahead, especially with some of the ensembles pointing to the development of an AO-/PNA+ pattern in the longer-range.

In the meantime, I wish all those in inland areas, particularly up the Hudson Valley, northwestern NJ, and northwestern Connecticut all the best with what should work out to be a pretty nice snowstorm for them.

Wow all snow here in Dobbs Ferry. 

Borderline heavy snow right now...temp at 32.9/31. Sticking to all surfaces. 

36 with rain and sleet continuing here in Western Nassau. It was just plain rain

down near Sunrise HWY but sleet began to mix around the Southern State.

Any mangled flakes earlier (if you were north of SS at some point )? I had a couple mixed with sleet/rain and gf had more than a couple in Garden City mix with sleet. Now both of us (gf and I) rain mixed with sleet.

Edit:precip lightened...light rain here

Not even close in my book.  January 15, 1983 was the worst.  This is not so hard to take because the rain was pretty much a given.  Still 37 F here with rain.

1/15/83 was nuts.  At least during the day (I believe it was a Saturday) it was all rain in Bethpage, A non accumulating slushy mess at my house in Syosset, and 2 or 3 miles north they accumulated a few inches during that same time.  The 495 rule was in full effect that day (Syo house was south of the expressway).

It's down to 31F with steady, moderate snow here in Metuchen and about 1" on the ground and the snow is now accumulating on asphalt (local roads are slick and even Route 1 and 287 are getting a bit of slush on them - was just out in the Edison-Piscataway area). If we don't get this "warm nose" that models have been indicating, we may actually get the 2-4" originally forecast yesterday and not the 1-2" adjustment we got this morning. Nobody's talking about the I-95 corridor getting more than a few inches, but I wonder if that's now a stronger possibility.

Hope everyone is enjoying the storm while I'm stuck in OK!  If anyone could post obs for the Somerville/Bridgewater area I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

Right now looks like the snow/mix line (based on radar and the 1000-700 mb thickness line) is along a line from Trenton to New Brunswick to Staten Island.

Archived