• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal Part Deux

DDweatherman

Where is that link? The layout there is atrocious lol. He recently changed up the front page and I can't find the regional views of the GFS anymore either.

Click on the RGEM under Global Numerical Model Prediction, click on the region, and then theres a Snow Accumulation Map.  I like his new Beta page for the regional views for each model.  At the top of the page, next to ECMWF Rain/Snow, Temperature, and Surface Maps and GFS Surface Maps, click on the "EzClick MouseOver Beta Portal"  - then you can select from regions within that.  It's a much better layout for that, once you find where it is.  The website is so confusing. 

post-3516-0-65391700-1416974997_thumb.pn

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some dry air in the soundings aloft...was just looking specifically at the 0z NAM. This is not just a dynamic cooling deal- dont discount evap cooling as it could be the difference maker wrt snow vs rain.

I was thinking about that earlier...evap cooling. Dew points are measured at ground level, right? Where does one find moisture content at other levels.

I was thinking about that earlier...evap cooling. Dew points are measured at ground level, right? Where does one find moisture content at other levels.

I just look at the soundings and compare the dp, wet bulb, and actual temp at different heights

edit- remember evap cooling is more efficient than dynamic cooling which relies largely on melting precip to remove heat and cool surrounding air.

I'm talking overall not just events. Last yr had a lot of hard cold infiltration events too. This is anomalously cold for the time of yr but not crazy impressive cold or storm/cold coupling.

Yep just because it's cold for this time of year doesnt mean it's cold enough to accumulate snow. It's actually comfortable outside right now. I wouldn't be surprised at rain from start to finish in the city. We shall see.

Archived