joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12/20 storm has a chance because we have some split flow...but it's obviously far from perfect. But split flow can cover up some sins in the overall hemispheric pattern. We'll see if it looks any better as we get closer. It still needs a lot of things to go right...but split flow is our friend we'll be rooting for.

I think the last white Christmas was what.....2010?

My area holds snowpack well, so I'm 14 of 16 for snow OG on 12/25.  The misses were 1999, Farmington's least snowy DEC on record, and 2006, their warmest Dec.   Avg depth is 6" and median is 5" - 8 yr with 4" or less and 8 with 6" or more.  Four double-digit yr, 03, 07, 08, 13, with 2007 tops at 14".

Farmington has records for 57 Dec 25ths, none before 1941 and spotty until the mid 1960s.  They're 48 of 57, which is 84%.  Without the 1990s (6 of 10) they'd be about 90%.  Tops was 44" in 1970, with 26" in 1989 at #2.  Avg is 8.75" and median 6".

The 12/20 storm has a chance because we have some split flow...but it's obviously far from perfect. But split flow can cover up some sins in the overall hemispheric pattern. We'll see if it looks any better as we get closer. It still needs a lot of things to go right...but split flow is our friend we'll be rooting for.

Yeah, if we can get some confluent flow across Canada we may have a shot.  See if we can make some lemonade out of lemons.

12Z.

Okay, ...interesting. The 00z didn't seem to want much part of any such EPO ...

The CDC values were down right ugly from last night...  maintaining an NP arc (which combines the WPO relay into the EPO) as about as wrong as imaginatively possible for winter weather enthusiasts, to put it nicely. 

I am wondering what has changed, or if the GEFs you refer are in the 500mb geopotential medium?   That might explain some of the differences, because as we know ... the CDC employs lower tropospheric wind/flux anomalies in their EOFs.  Contrasting the CPC uses 500mb geopotentials in theirs.  

Not sure what advantage there is to using either, but I am biased toward the CPC frankly, because Met 101 instructs us that the atmophere is guided by the 500mb because that is where the ratio of air density to air motion is provides the greatest mass transport, and so disturbances are born there..blah blah blah... 

Meanwhile, the new CPC MJO prog is popping the wave back out over in Phase 3.  Code for go f ur self  if you want winter... Seems everything's just out of whack in an unstable froth right now. 

Okay, ...interesting. The 00z didn't seem to want much part of any such EPO ...

The CDC values were down right ugly from last night...  maintaining an NP arc (which combines the WPO relay into the EPO) as about as wrong as imaginatively possible for winter weather enthusiasts, to put it nicely. 

I am wondering what has changed, or if the GEFs you refer are in the 500mb geopotential medium?   That might explain some of the differences, because as we know ... the CDC employs lower tropospheric wind/flux anomalies in their EOFs.  Contrasting the CPC uses 500mb geopotentials in theirs.  

Not sure what advantage there is to using either, but I am biased toward the CPC frankly, because Met 101 instructs us that the atmophere is guided by the 500mb because that is where the ratio of air density to air motion is provides the greatest mass transport, and so disturbances are born there..blah blah blah... 

Meanwhile, the new CPC MJO prog is popping the wave back out over in Phase 3.  Code for go f ur self  if you want winter... Seems everything's just out of whack in an unstable froth right now. 

Well I'm just looking at the 500mb plots. Tropicaltidbits.com has some good stuff.

But it doens't matter.. that "appeal" is decent to get winter back into the NP-GL-NE regions.  Could use a bit more cross-polar look, but that's what we would get from a truer -EPO.  Home grown cold should be sufficient tho, seeing as we have a well-developed cryosphere on this side of the Hemi -

Archived