Newest Member
    joxey
December-winter is finally here!

weathafella

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure we do, Jan 05, Feb 99, Dec 10

Those events look nothing like the current setup.

Do you realize that the airmass ahead of January 2005 produced below zero readings on the cape?

Not only that, you had an extremely well-defined northern stream shortwave on an impressive amplifying western ridge plowing SE into that airmass.

Feb '99 was a retro storm backing in with still a better airmass than this one. Ditto dec 20-21, 2010

Those events look nothing like the current setup.

Do you realize that the airmass ahead of January 2005 produced below zero readings on the cape?

Not only that, you had an extremely well-defined northern stream shortwave on an impressive amplifying western ridge plowing SE into that airmass.

Feb '99 was a retro storm backing in with still a better airmass than this one. Ditto dec 20-21, 2010

Those were extreme examples.  But the airmass behind this clipper will be in the -10C to 15C at 850mb according to the GFS.  THat is plenty cold enough for snowfall on the Cape.

Euro ensembles have a pretty strong signal for the 12/21 threat, but the airmass could be an issue.

The ensembles are almost trying to retro the 12/18 storm back toward Nova Scotia which backs in some snow...psuedo inverted trough.

I hate that word.......lol,  Models hinting at maybe a little back door here saturday/saturday night

Those were extreme examples. But the airmass behind this clipper will be in the -10C to 15C at 850mb according to the GFS. THat is plenty cold enough for snowfall on the Cape.

A lot of storms have cold airmasses behind them. How many produce snowfall on the cape?

I'm not really sure what you are trying to hype up about this threat. I mean perhaps there could be some OES on the backside if things lined up or an inverted trough.

But let's not go throwing around major cape snowstorm analogs with this. They aren't comparable. Perhaps this will look more favorable in future runs but as of now, I'm not buying it.

january 2005 had a negative nao

Umm no it didn't, look at the H5 setup, there was a low over the northern Hudson Bay, Canada and a ridge east of Greenland, no ridging west of Greenland or over Greenland, no -NAO, plus the statistics of the CPC has this period as all positive NAO, but there was a giant PNA positive spike

Umm no it didn't, look at the H5 setup, there was a low over the northern Hudson Bay, Canada and a ridge east of Greenland, no ridging west of Greenland or over Greenland, no -NAO, plus the statistics of the CPC has this period as all positive NAO, but there was a giant PNA positive spike

The January blizzard was an Archambault event, which  flipped the NAO negative.

Most of the month was postive.

The January blizzard was an Archambault event, which  flipped the NAO negative.

Most of the month was postive.

This is beyond my expertise, but I feel like a nice storm or two could throw enough heat flux towards Greenland to help flip it at the end of the month. You can almost see signs of it on the ensembles. It's possible.

Scott the GFS has a QPF bullseye of 3.5" over the Atlantic Ocean, if the H5 low closes off sooner than modeled and goes negatively tilted first over NY state, we could see this bullseye make it further west ever so slightly, where its just offshore within 2 days time.  Just something to watch carefully, as I see this solution become big time in the future given the overall energy associated with the H5 northern stream trough.

The erring on the side of caution would suffice in the next 48 hours, but afterwards, the disturbances in question should be sampled well enough for a future solution to come to fruition. Err on the side of explosive with this setup.

You're gonna be explosively disappointed disecting runs as much as you are this early. Worry about the big picture first.

Archived