SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EPO ridge still being pretty far west and the NAO block not having truly established itself yet could definitely lead the Dec 26-27 wave to cut with a SE ridge. After that wave passes, though, the EPO ridge should move further east, helping to weaken the SE ridge (but it may still be there somewhat), but with the -EPO, -AO, and -NAO pattern, that's a pretty good look Dec 28th and onward. 

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

Both SWs were always supposed to cut. There was never enough separation between the 2.

The SE ridge bulges because the xmas ULL retrograded W and pulls the axis west and there is no resistance to the ridge.

After the 27th it will lose the battle.

It's over after the 27th. The next 3 are rain and that has been well opined. That SE will lose out after that.

Both SWs were always supposed to cut. There was never enough separation between the 2.

The SE ridge bulges because the xmas ULL retrograded W and pulls the axis west and there is no resistance to the ridge.

After the 27th it will lose the battle.

It's over after the 27th. The next 3 are rain and that has been well opined. That SE will lose out after that.

Yes, the 26-27th wave will cut, if the ULL retrogrades W as now shown. That wave enhances the -NAO further. Theb pulls the mean trough east and suppresses the SE ridge.

Yes, the 26-27th wave will cut, if the ULL retrogrades W as now shown. That wave enhances the -NAO further. Theb pulls the mean trough east and suppresses the SE ridge.

Yea that's what I have always thought and said embrace the 27th storm. That's ur cold front and the one that allows the pattern change to come east.

Once that's off the board I would look for the next one out of the southern branch to belly under all that confluence.

With a neg PNA people are going to beg for a tiny SE ridge or you can't turn the energy .

I think that the SE Ridge could even be a player for the start of the day 10-15 period since that MJO 4-5 

would support it.

attachicon.gifECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

It got muted last yr with the neg EPO. Looks like we head to a 2 to 3 SD neg EPO and AO

It might look ominous at 500 but the 2m temps will win .

If the NAO does go NEG then you will have one hell of a baroclinic zone from Amarillo to DC with a neg PNA and the STJ. I like that look a lot

I think that the SE Ridge could even be a player for the start of the day 10-15 period since that MJO 4-5

would support it.

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

It's odd how yesterday the 12z ens was frigid jan 04 style...now for 00z the hint of the se ridge throughout the run but also has the blocking/-nao. If that's the case we will deal with some messy storms, but would be active. By the end of the run it starts retrograding the hgts towards Alaska and the cold starts heading north. That I don't like, God the frustration that would cause.

If that happens and it only aides in frustration then it wasn't meant to be. Winter gives us early signs every year how it might play out and we'll know exactly what this winter is going to really be by early January.

Sometimes things just don't work out and if this winter fails it would be almost a payback for last winter which was supposed to fail but never did.

Things still look good though and this year reminds me more of 04-05 than a 11/12. All signs point to a major pattern change.

It may get muted, but it could still be a player in the forecast when passing through phase 4 Dec 28-31.

attachicon.gifDecENMJOphase4all500mb.gif

It will be muted with -EPO/-AO/-NAO the what guidance has been consistently showing. That MJO composite shows a +EPO and +NAO.as well. We might want somewhat of SE ridge, to keep us closer to gradient as well.

It will be muted with -EPO/-AO/-NAO the what guidance has been consistently showing. That MJO composite shows a +EPO and +NAO.as well. We might want somewhat of SE ridge, to keep us closer to gradient as well.

Agree. If you don't have a small SE ridge you will watch all ur storms cut along the gulf Coast and head right out with a neg PNA.

Neg epo ao nao will make the SE ridge ur friend. Although when push comes to shove it will be a very weak ridge at best with those Indices

For the time being the GFSx shows the next 7 days will average out at  (+5  to 7 degs) with 2" of rain.   This is what we have to look forward to till that pattern change takes hold and scrubs Canada and US of the warm Pacific flow.   Seems TimesSqaure will not be a pleasant place to be NYE.   25degs. and snow??

For the time being the GFSx shows the next 7 days will average out at  (+5  to 7 degs) with 2" of rain.   This is what we have to look forward to till that pattern change takes hold and scrubs Canada and US of the warm Pacific flow.   Seems TimesSqaure will not be a pleasant place to be NYE.   25degs. and snow??

Think people would enjoy that...as long as its not rain.

It's not likely to be muted before December ends as the SE RIdge usually wins out in marginal situations.

Strongly agree....the SE Ridge is coming and there is no escaping it. However this keeps systems from sliding off the coast usually and with a block building in Canada, I only see this as a plus.

Not buying a GFS (lol) solution this far out....maybe under 84 hours. Euro seems to be handling things consistently for the most part.

Archived