• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

The pattern has looked good 2-weeks out ever since October. Nothing has really materialized.

we never really expect much in terms of snow in oct/nov anyway, and december has produced some decent snows but it hasn't worked out so far but we have time and things seem to be setting up nicely. All we can do is wait

edit: if you were speaking in terms of storms and not necessarily snow i apologize 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern has looked good 2-weeks out ever since October. Nothing has really materialized. However this is the time the pattern should really change post NYE. At least Nino climatology tells us so.

No, no, no. Please resist the urge to post like the old Ralph Wiggum. Honestly, this is complete nonsense and you know it. The pattern is undergoing a change right now that we have not yet seen this winter and it is CLEAR that blocking is trying to take shape.

No, no, no. Please resist the urge to post like the old Ralph Wiggum. Honestly, this is complete nonsense and you know it. The pattern is undergoing a change right now that we have not yet seen this winter and it is CLEAR that blocking is trying to take shape.

I completely agree as I posted.  All signs point toward high lat blocking and we should in fact realize a pattern shift by the start of 2015 towards a colder and stormier regime.

So I guess now we wait and see if the Euro was just suffering from one of its biases or if the SE ridge will really be flexing later next week.

What we need to see is going to take many more days to come to fruition. If you're waiting to see definitive prove of a change to a more wintry pattern, you may want to take a break and come back on Tuesday. That -NAO will need to be on models inside of 5 days before any of us should take it seriously. Same goes for the SE ridge if that is to happen. Furthermore, to see if any wintry pattern that sets in will last for a while, we will need to wait several more weeks to assess the impact of stratospheric warming that is continuing to bombard the PV.

Seems like long rangers were popping EPO ridges out west....few materialized. Some long rangers were introducing high lat blocking but this never came about. Storm on the 20-21st was supposed to be our pattern changer. Nope. This is just how it has seemed to me. I'm wrong anyway as per John.

I'd have to say that it is true that the GFS has showed signs of a pattern change on and off, at 300+ hours out. However, expecting the GFS to be correct in it's forecasts 2 weeks out is like pinpointing who will get 4 inches and who will get 6 inches of snow in a storm 5 days out. Now that we are closer to the actual occurrence of a pattern change, it is looking more and more likely that sometime right after Christmas and by very early January, we should be experiencing true winter weather. In the past month or so, all of the chances of this fizzled away on the GFS, for example, once within 200-250 hours. Not this time. I don't see it as anything disappointing whatsoever. We average more snowstorms in March than we do in December, so to have the pattern change right around the start of the new year in January is perfect

Initially, the EPO ridge might be a bit too far west, so it's still possible that the Dec 26-27 storm could cut. Though of course, if the block is as strong as depicted, that could still slide underneath us for a nice event.

Regardless, the EPO shifts to a much more favorable position very shortly after that, as it pokes through Alaska and runs all the way through British Columbia and the West Coast. So even if we temporarily get a bit of a SE ridge, that should be shunted by Dec 28. 

The mean trough is still a bit to far west...might have to bite the bullet again on this one..with the closed block over the David straights that cutting is hard to believe

svr storms ongoing in the se at 192 hrs 60 kt at 850 mb and 10  -  12 c 850 temps stream northward. Here I imagine snow - rain with an ohio valley track.

The SWs just needs a little more separation . The first SW is able to pull the trough axis west and the 2nd one because it on it`s heels and is able to cut 

You would like the second SW 12 to 24 hours slower  so it can get caught under the confluence . 

The mean trough is still a bit to far west...might have to bite the bullet again on this one..with the closed block over the David straights that cutting is hard to believe

In general storms will only cut when we have a -NAO if the PV is too far south over central Canada and or a badly timed spoke of energy rotates around the base of the PV and phases into the system over the Plains..even then though it often is forced to redevelop at some point but we usually go snow to rain in those.

Archived