SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wednesday into Turkey Day Storm

Animal

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has warmer low levels (850 on down).  Its pretty rainy along I-95, that's for sure.  If I only had the GFS to look at, I'd probably go coating to 2 inches at home, leaning more towards the coating.

Yep...even I see a lot of rain with the GFS.  Please God NO!  Big bust for me if GFS verifies :(

What are your thoughts for central bucks? I am thinking 4"-6" if you blend everything together.

That's probably reasonable.  So far, despite the apparent day shift vs. night shift battle at Mt. Holly (not to mention an apparent overnight war with Upton), their maps have seemed reasonable to me, or at least in the ballpark.  I've been distracted by personal matters and haven't put a lot of effort into accumulation thoughts until today.

That's probably reasonable.  So far, despite the apparent day shift vs. night shift battle at Mt. Holly (not to mention an apparent overnight war with Upton), their maps have seemed reasonable to me, or at least in the ballpark.  I've been distracted by personal matters and haven't put a lot of effort into accumulation thoughts until today.

Thanks buddy. NAM,EURO,RGEM seem to be dropping a lot of QPF, around 1" or so. GFS is less and warmer. I personally think its time to use the NAM/RGEM more as we are very close.

Thanks buddy. NAM,EURO,RGEM seem to be dropping a lot of QPF, around 1" or so. GFS is less and warmer. I personally think its time to use the NAM/RGEM more as we are very close.

The GFS warm trend should be alarming since its been colder, and the Euro is still rather warm.  In that regard, the GFS and EC are actually closer thermally, though the NAM also warmed somewhat.  Although the NAM puts down well over an inch of QPF at, say, TTN, by my estimate less than half of that will translate into "10:1" snowfall.. in other words, compared to total storm precip, the total snow:total water ratio looks like its less than 5:1 on the NAM.  This is because it fails to bring surface temps down to freezing.  If the NAM can't do that... Obviously further NW its a different story.  So far, anyway, at least on the NAM. 

RGEM has a super steep snowfall gradient.  If you are on the right side of that, you're gonna be golden, but on the wrong side you'll be very unhappy if you wanted snow.  Right now that gradient is almost directly on top of I-95.

While the RGEM looks great for the NW suburbs and Lehigh Valley, that has to be tempered by what the GFS just showed.  I think a more conservative forecast of 3 to 6 inches in Bucks, Montgomery and Chester counties with 5 to 10 inches in the Lehigh Valley seems pretty reasonable at this time.

Philadelphia hopefully gets in the snow; the R/S line should be close to them. The GFS had the 0C 850 line right over them. Out here I think 3-6+ is ok to predict at this time. 2-4 for the city, less if models get warmer.

Yeah Matt you're gonna do well out there in Collegeville. Hoping for 3-5" maybe more in the Villanova area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived