• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Guess the time frame of 2014-15's biggest KU

Ian

When will we get our biggest KU of 14-15?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. When will we get our biggest KU of 14-15?

• Second half of November
    • Dec 1-15
    • Dec 16-31
    • Jan 1-15
    • Jan 16-31
    • Feb 1-14
    • Feb 15-28
    • Mar 1-15
    • Mar 16-31
    • April (lol)
    • There won't be any snow as usual

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to go late-January, but we're not going to score big from a KU. North and east of us will, though. Something like 4-8" and a changeover when north and east get 15-25" and blizzard conditions. Then it'll get cold so we can enjoy the 2" of slop that freezes with the frigid air that follows.

I'm feeling positive tonight.

Can't tell if serious...or sarcastic...

My long range thoughts are not very advanced compared to the long rangers on the board and elsewhere. I go by gut feelings.. though they are educated enough to often not be the worst compared to a random gut feeling. 

Persistence is huge.. and right now things are looking quite stacked. I'd definitely go with a "cold" winter whether it's actually cold or we think of it as cold (those lows). See how Nino progresses in the next month or so for the rest. Cold is a good start though.

You can't make a call for DCA to get 2x+ normal snow without being a goon if you have a name but there's plenty of evidence that winter goes big or goes home in recent times. We're almost due for a massive HECS based on recent return as well. 

50/50? ha. I'm a weenie. :(

Pretty sporty to look for the "biggest" KU, but I think there could be two this winter (perhaps 3-4 in total but two that give heavy snow to the Mid Atlantic states). The best windows would be something like Dec 22-23, Jan 6-7, Jan 19-21, Feb 3-5 and Feb 17-19 but of those I suspect the first and last would be too mild and the middle one might be too far east, so that makes it either Jan 6-7 or Feb 3-5 to verify. I will go with Jan 6-7 for my guess. Could be epic too 1996 style.

I'm new to this and apologize if this is the wrong formum but what is a KU? I can obviously tell it is a snow storm but what features are specific to a KU. I have searched the Internet high and low but can't seem to find a definition (found a lot of other things that disturbed me though). Answer this and I promise I'll sit quietly in the back ground for the rest of the winter.

PS: Mr. Bob Chill, you're the man!

I'm new to this and apologize if this is the wrong formum but what is a KU? I can obviously tell it is a snow storm but what features are specific to a KU. I have searched the Internet high and low but can't seem to find a definition (found a lot of other things that disturbed me though). Answer this and I promise I'll sit quietly in the back ground for the rest of the winter.

K= Paul Kocin, U= Louis Uccellini 

A KU storm is weatherboard shorthand for a snowstorm that made it into the general cases section of their Northeast Snowstorms 2 volume book, or would make it into an updated version of the book--- generally it's a snowstorm that dropped >10" of snow in multiple official reporting sites for the cities in the Northeast Metropolis (including DC/Baltimore). But, that's not a firm rule. For example, the trio of snowstorms from January and February 1987 that were less widespread made it into the books as a holdover from a specialized chapter in the original version of the book.

No need to sit idly by! Post some obs and the occasional picture - you'll find yourself shooting the sh*t before you know it! Hell...most of us don't really know that much about the weather except that we're interested in it. At least I don't!

Archived