SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 inches here in Winooski as the transition is now occurring. It is becoming mostly sleet out there now. I wonder if any of this will survive the rain phase and brief warm up. It seems to be rather dense with the sugar grain flakes we had.

Event totals: 4.0” Snow/0.52" L.E.

I've been able to monitor accumulations by the hour for the storm this evening, and the data are below:

Time                 Total Snowfall

5:00 PM            0.2"

6:00 PM            0.6"

7:00 PM            1.8"

8:00 PM            2.4"

9:00 PM            2.8"

10:00 PM          3.3"

11:00 PM          3.7"

12:00 AM          4.0"

I'd been planning on a 12:00 A.M. analysis, and it seems like the timing was good because the snow has been becoming more granular and the precipitation rate also seems to be slowing down.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 4.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.52 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.7

Snow Density: 13.0% H2O

Temperature: 25.3 F

Sky: Light/Moderate Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5"

Event totals: 4.1” Snow/0.56" L.E.

It doesn't look like much has happened out there since I cleared the snowboards at midnight; there's just a crusty 0.1" of sleet on there, bonded together with what must have been a bit of freezing mist/drizzle.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.5

Snow Density: 40.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 4.0"

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas is below; the storm dropped a general 4-6" in the northern half of the state and about 1-3" that in the southern half:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 3”

Magic Mountain: 3”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 3”

3.1" here with 0.70" of water.

Was just out plowing and it didn't really feel like the heavy ratio that it is.

Snowed hard for a while last night and sleet pellets woke me up a little before 1am.  It must've gone over to ZR for a spell as the snow & branches had a tenth or two of glaze on top.

Only now climbing above freezing--32.5 and snow sliding off the roof.

I hate these front end systems. I can't wait until the cold front gets through.

While I would rather not have to worry about any change over or warmth following a system, I like and am fine with any system that leaves me with a net gain in snow otg.  I know there is still some time left to melt off the accumulation from last night but, I think this one will be a net gainer.

As usual in these events, decent difference between the west and eastern slopes.  West side seemed to get a Trace to 2.5", while the east side locked in better cold and some upslope flow for 3-6" in this general area. 

The Stowe Village CoCoRAHS observer that was so good for a few years has been much more spotty this season.  Anyway, the 3.9" I measured this morning lines up with the 3.9" just over the border from Stowe in Waterbury/Washington County...but I also enjoyed comparing my numbers to the CoCoRAHS guy's numbers.

Archived