joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.48" here at home so far for the rain portion of the event.  Snowpack hanging in there.  Gotta be getting ripe though. 

MVL seems to under-report a lot of the times in terms of liquid equivalent, as its only 0.13" so far on the NOAA page, and a lot of the meso-scale spots are above 0.5" today.

0.48" here at home so far for the rain portion of the event.  Snowpack hanging in there.  Gotta be getting ripe though. 

MVL seems to under-report a lot of the times in terms of liquid equivalent, as its only 0.13" so far on the NOAA page, and a lot of the meso-scale spots are above 0.5" today.

Ginxy will use it, ha ha

Radar doesn't look that imposing down stream, i'm usually skeptical of high precip amounts when the low is cutting to Detroit

Eye on the Sky weather from the Fairbanks Museum in Saint Johnsbury ran the average temperature over the past 120 years, and found a notable increase in temperatures right around Christmas.  Maybe the fact that it always seems to rain during the holiday week isn't complete fiction. 

10421530_826648684058871_884912484371877

I figured I'd take a look at the record here in Central PA to see if the same increase exists. Turns out the only day between December 15 and February 22 that has averaged over 30 degrees in State College is December 24 at 30.4. December 26 averages 27.0. Solid little bump there.

?? If you think the 2-3 inches and higher in the Mts a lot of peeps claimed was gonna happen ,good luck.

How many of the high elev, upslope stations have gauges? It hasn't looked that wet for where people live for days now. I see some high sites on mesowest near or  over 2" in the last 24hr.

I don't remember 2-3" for VT, but certainly more than the .25-.5" modeled on the globals at times.

We are at 1.49" at the ski area base per the Wunderground station with some more rain to go.

Bennington County has a few sites over 2" for the past 36-48hrs. Nothing epic, but still pretty wet for late December standards.

34.6F right now. No torch here yet. :(

We are getting your cold front warm front deal now in the valleys...37-38F prior to cold front, now 43F and rising with wind.

Dropping quickly now up high, while we are mixing out the low level cold in the mountain valleys.  It was still only 38F at my house when I woke up at 4am, but now up to 43F with wind as the cold front has passed. 

Still solid snow cover of at least 6" at home when I left at 5am...no bare ground anywhere that I could see.

Elevation...5am temp...6:30am temp...

4,000ft...48F...36F

1,500ft...56F...43F

730ft...38F...43F

Check out these temps for 5am on Xmas morning.  I caught it at about its warmest, most of these are 10F colder now and falling off a cliff at elevation.  While the CAD in the valley bottom is mixing out and rising those temps.

hopefully for the ski areas this cold settles low enough to allow resurfacing down to base elevations. Saturday is actually looking really nice with the large high pressure overhead.

It doesn't look like we get decent temps down low (like wet bulb of 25F or lower) until Sunday night. Probably going to be a 2500ft+ snowmaking plan the next couple nights. But that's where it'll be firmest too...its gonna tighten up like a...err never mind.

I think Fri/Sat are going to be good though...sunny and temps 35-40F in the base area and 25-30 at the summit. Spring skiing flavor with soft down low and firmer up top.

No one will care, we just want to see some darn sunshine.

Torch staying east, so far.  It's 33 here, 52 at RKD, 55 BHB, 50 HUL.  Can't remember another time when Aroostook had temps nearly 20F above mine.  Rain has been thankfully a non-issue, with 0.78" since 7 AM yesterday.  We may not reach 1" - flood cancel - and 6" remain in the dooryard.  It's not pretty but it's almost white.  :)

Man we dodged a bullet with that thick heavy dense snowpack that was in place.  Melting really seemed fairly minimal overnight.  The mountain took that like a champ.

Still 10-12" of thick snow at 1,500ft...and I had what looked like 4-6" at 750ft when I left earlier.

The view of the valley is full snow cover, so solid white Christmas in this neck of the woods.

Bolton is down to 8 trails from 51 as they let things drain and begin recovery efforts. I hope we get something soon to make things white again.

Any trail count drop is likely temporary given what I'm seeing over here, and not related to snow loss.  More like surface conditions or closing them to stop folks from making a mess of it today until it firms up.

Check out these temps for 5am on Xmas morning.  I caught it at about its warmest, most of these are 10F colder now and falling off a cliff at elevation.

Mansfield is already down into the 20s F; now we'll just need some new snow to soften up those higher elevations.  The stake was at 32" of depth as of yesterday afternoon's report, so it should be interesting to see where it sits this evening.  That depth is right around average actually, so it's easy to see that snowfall has really slowed down subsequent to that cutoff low system:

25DEC14A.jpg

This could be great for the season's snowpack though – hopefully a net gain of liquid for the mountains.

Archived