Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like temps near 50 with high dews and heavy rain with little cold behind the storm flowed by more rain this could be the worst Xmas skiing in years especially compared to how good it was last weekend

Well, better stay in Long Island then. 

I'm also certain that by 12/27 there is going to be packed powder conditions from Killington through Jay.  Yes, it will not be fun to go skiing 12/24-26. But with cold moist air inflowing off the great lakes I'm certain at least 4-6" of snow will fall along the spine by saturday. Groom that in and 90% of the tourists will not even know a thing. 

Looking forward to images from your camera ... that's sweet spot

I need to figure out a way to make it public - for now, here's a shot from this morning. It's in the front of the house so doesn't have the Mt Washington view, but I need to keep track of arrivals and departures. But I want to move it to a better spot that at least allows more view on the back (need longer cables!)

post-1183-0-07792300-1419080012_thumb.jp

I'm also certain that by 12/27 there is going to be packed powder conditions from Killington through Jay.  Yes, it will not be fun to go skiing 12/24-26. But with cold moist air inflowing off the great lakes I'm certain at least 4-6" of snow will fall along the spine by saturday. Groom that in and 90% of the tourists will not even know a thing.

Can I quote you on that (ha ha, I just did)?

Obviously I'd prefer wall to wall snow, but reality is I can't ski 9-10 days in a row. Did that a few years ago and ended up so tired I felt like I had malaria. Lots of tv shows to binge on.

-5F at sunrise here, bouncing up though, 6 F and dead calm. Had to run to Jefferson last night and chuckled, left the kingdom it was down to 11F, crossed through eden notch and it was 22F, like the dark side of the moon sometimes over here :)

mountains are as white as could be...

DSCN0382.jpg

3F in town, 9F at the base of the mountain, and 19F at the summit this morning. Felt balmy up there.

It's a great picture day...just plastered white with rime, snow, ice.

I'm also certain that by 12/27 there is going to be packed powder conditions from Killington through Jay. Yes, it will not be fun to go skiing 12/24-26. But with cold moist air inflowing off the great lakes I'm certain at least 4-6" of snow will fall along the spine by saturday. Groom that in and 90% of the tourists will not even know a thing.

Low looks way too far west for that ATM but it's still days away I think the low cuts into Ohio and then retrogrades west

I'm also certain that by 12/27 there is going to be packed powder conditions from Killington through Jay. Yes, it will not be fun to go skiing 12/24-26. But with cold moist air inflowing off the great lakes I'm certain at least 4-6" of snow will fall along the spine by saturday. Groom that in and 90% of the tourists will not even know a thing.

funny I almost posted the same thing last night.

... It's in the front of the house so doesn't have the Mt Washington view ...

attachicon.gifBW1220.jpg

That's ok - I have the MWN view covered for today ;)

I went to Mt Pierce for a sunrise hike. Made it to the summit about 15 minutes before that ball of flaming gas appeared. No wind whatsoever on the summit ... awesome conditions. Just wish I wasn't so beat from yesterday. A couple of pics ...

20141220_073030_20141220102037085_201412

20141220_071708_20141220105939977_zpskfa

I'm still hoping for the best, but looking into alternatives to skiing around xmas.

netflix and the bar ;) Yeah it definitely is not what we wanted but it is coming and there isn't anything we can do about it. Hopefully some back end upslope will save the day a little bit.

Christmas week is a different crowd than normal. A lot of seasons passes are blacked out, there are 5-night minimums at all area hotels/lodges, people have already paid in full for lodging (some since a year ago), even paid for ski tickets in a lot of instances through area lodges...the majority can be lower end skiers than you'd normally see out there. Money usually isn't a concern, as no one goes on a ski vacation during Xmas week to save money...no matter what the resort you go to, it's the most expensive time of the year. These folks usually end up going skiing regardless because that's what they planned to do with friends and family. Also because most of the have already paid for it to.

The real issue is if it's physically raining out that day. If the sun is out, the whole world will show up regardless of how much it may suck. Also, a lot of these folks haven't seen snow or at least significant snow in their hometowns yet, so even if it's glaciated, they are just happy to see white.

The skiers that you lose are the real avid folks, often the pass holders won't bother if it's going to be crowded AND crunchy. But the money makers still show up so it's usually not as bad of a business issue as some make it out to be. Especially if it's been good up until then, people know there's snow in the hills and it's not all melting in a 12-hr rainstorm. The worst Xmas business is just a warm persistently snowless Nov/December when folks know it's been a struggle for the mountains.

Not even close to happening, it will be fine by Christmas afternoon, Mt ops are really good and there is a ton of snow. that will just get absorbed.

It may not be pleasant, but it won't do anything these ski areas haven't dealt with before during the holiday week.  All the snowmaking trails at the resorts have at least been hit once with man-made, and all that snow isn't melting anytime soon.  Natural snow trails may take a bit of a hit, but the base is pretty substantial in NNE.  The ski resorts know what to do, multiple grooms, dust-and-run snowmaking programs...they can get conditions back nicely in a couple days on a large portion of a mountain.  Its like a 2-minute drill for ski resorts.

Looks like temps near 50 with high dews and heavy rain with little cold behind the storm flowed by more rain this could be the worst Xmas skiing in years especially compared to how good it was last weekend

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I'm hoping the qpf on the front end is overdone and we get some nice snow showers on the back end.

PowderFreak-

I'll be up at Stowe next weekend so that's what triggered my question. Also, my sig pic is me at Stowe two years ago around December 20-23. It was really deep for December :santa:  :weenie:

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I'm hoping the qpf on the front end is overdone and we get some nice snow showers on the back end.

PowderFreak-

I'll be up at Stowe next weekend so that's what triggered my question. Also, my sig pic is me at Stowe two years ago around December 20-23. It was really deep for December :santa:  :weenie:

Cool!  Well it certainly won't be like 2 years ago... December 2012 was the most epic holiday week I can remember since at least 2004.  We never get big snowstorms during the holiday week, and I think we had two good snowstorms that week.  Most of the rest of the time it seems to like to rain during that time, so that 2012 holiday week was something special.  That winter wasn't going all that great into mid-December then I think it snowed like 80" in pretty much 2 weeks.  I remember Sugarbush had over 100" that December alone, mostlly in the second half of the month.  They got hit a little harder than us up north,

With all honesty, I'm not sure if its the weather pattern relaxing around this time or what, but I'd wager we seem to get more rainstorms than snowstorms during the holiday week on average over the past 10 years.  I'm going to have to do some research, but getting a snowstorm during the week like in 2012 is very hard to do. 

I'm living on a glacier here.   Nice rainbow on the webcam this PM.  Friend of mine thought it was real...

Totally unrelated to this boring weather.   My brother who lives in DC knows all the SWAT guys at the WH.  Took the kids over.  Since he is a Republican Obama made them walk the dogs!

post-268-0-14264800-1419101490_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-40019100-1419101698_thumb.jpg

In other news, AT&T says they are having a state-wide cell service outage. Amazing how helpless folks feel without working phones.

PF,  I live 10 miles west of IS 93 so I get cell service.  Once you go NW of Newfound Lake all the way to the VT boarder there is no service with any carrier.  Get close to IS 89 and your good.  Many of the west NH towns get nothing.  Even around here its spotty, one valley you get it and then you don't.

This month blows hard. Plans ruined after Christmas. Snowpack will be better after Thanksgiving compared to Christmas lol.

As usual, we tend to see pretty different opinions on things up here in the NW New England zone (if you guys are having a great time, we are often "meh", and likewise the other way around).  I can't complain about this month...even this start of the winter.  Have had pretty steady snow cover since mid-November, the really only main melt-out was after we got that 11" of pixie dust from the Thanksgiving storm, which then left with the next thaw.  But that was quickly replenished. 

On top of that, we've seen some ridiculous views and phenomena like that.  I can't remember such stout undercast for several days either.  Been a good month for photos that's for sure, haha.

Have 10" on the ground here which isn't that impressive, but you can walk on the first 8" with no trouble as it is rock hard with moisture.  The top 2" is like sandy powder from Thur/Fri's little event.  I think this will hold up to the Xmas eve event...it won't look pretty but I can't imagine torching this firm of a pack completely away in like 24 hours.

Jesus...you have almost all of the optics going on there.

Yeah you know that sort of stuff well... in that second picture, what is causing the reverse bend at points of the Halo? 

The only place you could see this was right near the top of the inversion layer where some moisture was pooling...so there were a lot of ice crystals in the air only at that mid-slope elevation of like 2,500ft. 

Yeah you know that sort of stuff well... in that second picture, what is causing the reverse bend at points of the Halo? 

The only place you could see this was right near the top of the inversion layer where some moisture was pooling...so there were a lot of ice crystals in the air only at that mid-slope elevation of like 2,500ft. 

The inner halo is a common 22deg halo. On the top of it is an upper tangent arc. The outer halo is a more rare 46deg one. Above that is a circumzenithal arc. Those are fairly colorful. Cutting through the sun is the parhelic circle.

I'd have to look them each up to remember what the ice crystal shape/orientations are to produce each effect so I'll let you do the Google search. :) Nice pics though.

The inner halo is a common 22deg halo. On the top of it is an upper tangent arc. The outer halo is a more rare 46deg one. Above that is a circumzenithal arc. Those are fairly colorful. Cutting through the sun is the parhelic circle.

I'd have to look them each up to remember what the ice crystal shape/orientations are to produce each effect so I'll let you do the Google search. :) Nice pics though.

Sweet, yeah I've just been reading up on them.  For some reason I never knew that they occur at fixed angles from the sun...like the 22 degree one and then the second being the 46 degree one. 

Archived