• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Ahhh ha, I was just wondering what the Froude was last night.

3.5" here too...around 5" at 1,500ft and up to a foot above 3,000ft.

Classic Green Mountain Spine dump last night...Stowe/Smuggs area took the brunt it seems.

That's awesome – I had no clue how significantly the accumulations had built up in the higher elevations.  Usually I'm tipped off by the accumulations at our place, but with the high Froude we only got that inch and a half and it didn’t have me thinking that the mountains might have gone off.  It should have been a tip off when the accumulations actually seemed a bit higher as I headed off to the east in town.  Anyway, now that I've found out, I put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas – looks like a classic Northern Greens special focused around the Mansfield area, although with the high Froude it's not surprising that Bolton didn't pick up too much:

Jay Peak: 6”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Sugarbush: 2”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

The snowpack at the Mt. Mansfield Stake was at a half foot as of yesterday evening's report, so it will be interesting to see where it comes in today after this dump.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the Euro is maintaining a sub 970 low over WI/UP of MI on Monday with soaking rains in our neck of the woods. The GFS is in pretty good agreement with a low in the 970's in almost the same location 12z Mon morning. Temps in the CPV could make a run for 60 during this time.

Nice treat today in the mountains up here... I've got only 4" in my front yard, but up high last night picked up 10".  Winter wonderland in the mountains.

10177245_10102052785303660_4209822584655

PF – what's the skiing situation like on the natural terrain after this latest addition – worth a tour (on appropriate slopes) or still too bony?  I know the snowmaking terrain is more than ready, but with the small acreage it's usually tracked or the natural snow gets covered up by more snowmaking, so it's not a huge incentive.  I suspect this latest snow was pretty fluffy there (it was 2.1% H2O at our place) but if the mountain got some of that dense stuff we picked up the other day, there could be something below it to substantiate the pack.

PF – what's the skiing situation like on the natural terrain after this latest addition – worth a tour (on appropriate slopes) or still too bony?  I know the snowmaking terrain is more than ready, but with the small acreage it's usually tracked or the natural snow gets covered up by more snowmaking, so it's not a huge incentive.  I suspect this latest snow was pretty fluffy there (it was 2.1% H2O at our place) but if the mountain got some of that dense stuff we picked up the other day, there could be something below it to substantiate the pack.

I went up Nosedive and Cliff Trail... both were more than skiable all the way to the parking lot.  Its a little boney down low, but there's a general 3-4" ice base from the freezing rain, topped with powder ranging from 4" deep at the base, to 10" deep above 3,000ft.

It was awesome skiing up high.  Boot to knee deep powder.

photo_gallery_img_4395_edited_1.jpg

photo_gallery_img_4405_edited_1.jpg

photo_gallery_img_4413_edited_1.jpg

Thanks for the superlative beta as usual – with 10" up high it's not all about the "base", but that is an important ingredient in the overall equation.  You and Greg's reports/pictures certainly indicate that there's plenty classic Northern Greens treble out there though.  If only November was a winter month!

Wow at the Mansfield report... this was the deepest 3" I've ever seen.  I'm speechless they came in that low, so apparently we got more down here in town with 3.5" than the summit got.  The photos should be about the same then between town and mountain top...except the summit looks like a snow bomb went off.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

531 PM EST WED NOV 19 2014

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.11 12 5 10 LIGHT SNOW 3.0 9

Amazing how much a little snow cover does for radiational cooling.  I was driving to the grocery store and noticed my car said it was 12F already at 715pm. 

I see the mesonet at 800ft is showing 13F in town, too, so some early chill out there.

Here are two photos before the sun went down.  Starting to look like winter out there, too bad fall returns next week.

IMG_4489_edited-1_zps95b94de4.jpg

IMG_4484_edited-1_zpsf38482a0.jpg

Based on the upstream radar, I am surprised my point and click forecast only has a 20% chance of snow tonight and tomorrow.

bgm_None_anim.gif

Yeah, that's interesting – I think it's just going to take a bit of time for that next area of moisture to get here and appropriately moisten things up.  The BTV NWS forecast discussion talks about it a bit:

COMPOSITE RADAR MOSAIC DEPICTS LEADING EDGE OF SNOW SHOWERS BREAKING OUT ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN NY STATE ASSOCIATED IN SYNOPTIC-SCALE WARM ADVECTION REGIME. AIR MASS ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY HOWEVER IS QUITE DRY WITH DEW POINTS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS TO THE TEENS. THAT DRY AIR WILL PRECLUDE SNOW SHOWERS FROM INITIALLY DEVELOPING UNTIL DYNAMIC/WET-BULB PROCESSES CAN SUFFICIENTLY SATURATE THE COLUMN. I`VE INCREASED POPS A BIT MAINLY ACROSS NORTHERN NY...BUT SNOW SHOWERS MAY STRUGGLE TO GET GOING ACROSS VT. LITTLE IN THE WAY OF SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED FROM THESE SNOW SHOWERS. AS THE SYSTEM LIFTS NORTHEASTWARD LOW- LEVEL FLOW BECOMING MORE SOUTHWESTERLY SHOULD ALLOW FOR LAKE ONTARIO SNOWBAND TO RE- DEVELOP INTO SOUTHERN ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY...THOUGH NOT LIKELY TO OCCUR UNTIL THE PRE-DAWN HOURS. LOWS IN THE TEENS TO LOW/MID 20S.

Snow chances in the forecast here do bump to 40% and 50% tomorrow and tomorrow night respectively though.

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.34" L.E.

There was just an additional tenth of an inch of accumulation today, and based on the wording in the earlier BTV NWS discussions, this will presumably mark the end of that first lake-effect event.  I'll roll anything that might fall over the next couple of days into a new event.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 21.6 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 2.0"

I want a drop cam. I love JSpin's set up to watch a snow board for remote measuring.

PF, just a heads up on the Dropcams – I hadn't used mine in a while so I'd forgotten the specs, but now I've had a chance to think about the numbers.  Unfortunately since they're typically designed for surveillance, they are wide-angle cameras (Dropcam has a 107º angle of view, and the Dropcam Pro has an even wider, 130º angle of view.  I was tweaking mine the other day and realized that I have it at 3X zoom, out of a possible 4X, so that's pretty close to the max.  And, it's not real optical zoom, it's digital zoom, so it just crops out the image and lowers resolution.  So, although the camera has a 1280 x 720 pixel resolution, with mine zoomed in the way it is, it's providing only roughly 426 x 240 resolution.  And, I've got mine as close as possible to the house, with a bit of extra buffer zone added in, to where I don't see any effects of snow deposition from the structure.  In my case that's only about 6-10 feet.  So you can see, if I'm using 3X zoom for that distance, you can imagine what it would be like to try it at the longer distance you mentioned.  If you want, and you've got a distance that you'd like to check, I'd be happy to measure that off and give you an image of what you can see at no zoom and max zoom so you can see if it might work for you.  It might be possible to use it at longer distance, you'd just want to know how far back you can go and still have a reasonable chance of estimating snow depth off a gauge.

Amazing how much a little snow cover does for radiational cooling.  I was driving to the grocery store and noticed my car said it was 12F already at 715pm. 

attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

I see the mesonet at 800ft is showing 13F in town, too, so some early chill out there.

Here are two photos before the sun went down.  Starting to look like winter out there, too bad fall returns next week.

IMG_4489_edited-1_zps95b94de4.jpg

IMG_4484_edited-1_zpsf38482a0.jpg

Lol low was 26F here...

We might actually end this month above normal here. We're at -0.2F so far, and we'll fall a little more below the next 2 days or so, but if we push 50F or higher Sunday-Tuesday that's 10-15 degree departures on the positive side. Either way, certainly not going to finish well below.

Well that escalated quickly, haha.

Full on 1/8th of a mile vis in near blizzard conditions.

1503911_10102053474592320_53257663942862

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I drove through one of those after chasing the end of the Ontario LES band near the International Border in Alburgh, VT on the islands. I hit it near St. Albans but couldn't grab any shots there because I was driving. I did catch some pretty cool scenes from the LES though.

Some shots I took near the International Border in Alburgh, VT. This was the end of the Lake Effect Band before snow showers and squalls became more indirectly associated with that event. Vis at times dropped between 1/4 to 1/2 mile:

1377154_10102250828683189_84569266213608

10463020_10102250828827899_4244170065189

10463020_10102250828827899_4244170065189

10300871_10102250828902749_9898683784605

Very cool shots Gene and Eyewall.

Thank you. I didn't have to enhance those much, mainly some sharpness to bring out the individual flakes. This one was a little more enhanced and was shot on the way home from Alburg, outside of St. Albans. This would be the squall I drove through when you got hammered in Stowe. It looked very much like a thunderstorm approaching. Anyway underneath the edge was an eddy of snow just below the clouds. It was clearly visible with the naked eye, but the camera blew it out with too much of the back lighting. So I enhanced it to bring it out.

11023_10102250882066209_3661197780673283

Finally one more from the western shore of Alburg, VT. A fine November beach day:

559621_10102250828653249_908874085997953

Archived