Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bolton is down to 8 trails from 51 as they let things drain and begin recovery efforts. I hope we get something soon to make things white again.

Any trail count drop is likely temporary given what I'm seeing over here, and not related to snow loss.  More like surface conditions or closing them to stop folks from making a mess of it today until it firms up.

Agreed, I don’t think there are any big concerns about having to regain white at the ski areas, it will just be about getting fresh snow to get conditions up to something more typical of the Northern Greens.  Take a look at the Bolton Valley Live Web Cam – you can see that coverage still looks fine over on Butterscotch on the right.

25DEC14B.jpg

That area is often windswept, with thin snow, and I don’t believe they've even done any snowmaking there yet, so if there was notable damage to the snowpack, it would be evident there.  Also, Bolton is much more prone to snow loss in warm weather due to being on the west side of the spine, so if the snow looks fine there, it's almost a guarantee that it's good on the east slope.

We may have avoided the worst, but next three days in the low 40s will wipe out what little snow is left around here. Tuesday storm looks like a wiff. Hi and dry for awhile i guess. Bummer.

I am hoping this is the low point for the winter.

I would have preferred not having a Grinch storm at all but if we were going to have one, this one wasn't all that bad, in my area. My driveway hasn't melted off and there is still some snow on the ground in the paths I snowblow to my neighbors and my shed in the back yard. I know there will be more damage inflicted over the warmish next couple of days but all in all, it could have been worse.

Mansfield is already down into the 20s F; now we'll just need some new snow to soften up those higher elevations.  The stake was at 32" of depth as of yesterday afternoon's report, so it should be interesting to see where it sits this evening.  That depth is right around average actually, so it's easy to see that snowfall has really slowed down subsequent to that cutoff low system:

This could be great for the season's snowpack though – hopefully a net gain of liquid for the mountains.

I can't imagine the stake fell too much, but maybe in the 26-27" range this afternoon? The torch was short lived up high for the most part and it's locked up now.

Oh man I was wrong... the snowpack didn't even blink.  A very solid 30" depth at the coop stake.  Looks like most of the rain was absorbed.  That heavy wet snowstorm from the cut-off has some incredible staying power.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
613 PM EST THU DEC 25 2014

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.32    47  26  26   FOG            T  30

Oh man I was wrong... the snowpack didn't even blink.  A very solid 30" depth at the coop stake.  Looks like most of the rain was absorbed.  That heavy wet snowstorm from the cut-off has some incredible staying power.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
613 PM EST THU DEC 25 2014

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.32    47  26  26   FOG            T  30

Nice! That is definitely good to see.

Yeah better start cooling off in town soon, as its warmer than it was last night with the CAD in the valley here.  Now with strong westerly winds (just roaring out there, power even flickered), we are seeing full mixing so its not helping with limited CAA aloft now.  This could do more melt damage, at least under 1,500ft than last night.

I mean wow is it ripping out there.  The measured obs aren't overly impressive with gusts 30-40mph, but at times it goes to 2-minute periods of just roaring wind.  Trees are getting shredded, lots of small limbs, twigs, debris on the snow surface in the yard.

MWN gusting to 100mph this evening.

Yeah better start cooling off in town soon, as its warmer than it was last night with the CAD in the valley here. Now with strong westerly winds (just roaring out there, power even flickered), we are seeing full mixing so its not helping with limited CAA aloft now. This could do more melt damage, at least under 1,500ft than last night.

I mean wow is it ripping out there. The measured obs aren't overly impressive with gusts 30-40mph, but at times it goes to 2-minute periods of just roaring wind. Trees are getting shredded, lots of small limbs, twigs, debris on the snow surface in the yard.

MWN gusting to 100mph this evening.

meanwhile down here it's relatively calm at the fire pit

Archived