Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, better stay in Long Island then. 

I'm also certain that by 12/27 there is going to be packed powder conditions from Killington through Jay.  Yes, it will not be fun to go skiing 12/24-26. But with cold moist air inflowing off the great lakes I'm certain at least 4-6" of snow will fall along the spine by saturday. Groom that in and 90% of the tourists will not even know a thing. 

still like this? 

Yep. 

That cold front will over produce in many places along the green mountain spine. For trail skiers by sunday conditions will be great. 

i agree for trails with man made snow. they'll be fine by the weekend.

curious how the natural base holds up.  what is down is different than what I have observed in the past.  It came down like cement and consolidated evenly.  so even in spots where its steep or heavily trafficked with skiers it is solid.

i agree for trails with man made snow. they'll be fine by the weekend.

curious how the natural base holds up.  what is down is different than what I have observed in the past.  It came down like cement and consolidated evenly.  so even in spots where its steep or heavily trafficked with skiers it is solid.

All the natural snow isn't melting...that stuff has some substance to it.  But it won't look pretty afterward, you'll start to see the areas that were thin from skier traffic and stuff like that.  Those high traffic natural snow areas are holding up right now, but they'll take a beating.

But there's still going to be a firm base for future snows to land on.  I wouldn't plan on skiing much if anything ungroomed after Wednesday...as usual lately, this will be another holiday period of groomers and snowmaking, haha. 

This is where fixed snowmaking equipment comes in...dust 'n run programs where you just dust a trail for 6 hours then move on.  With fixed equipment you can be firing up other trails as you shut down the previous list, rather than having to do equipment moves between projects.  Just value out the water to where you want it to go and fire it up.  The challenge for grooming is you have to groom literally everything, but can't overload the fleet as you want them to be able to take their time and get a good till.  If they groom too fast, it cuts down on the quality of the till.

Disagree, time will tell

Well obviously. Seriously, by sunday, trails will be fine. A little snow is possible as the trailing cold front pushes through on Thursday night - friday (and frankly this alone could be 4" - we've all seen that happen) and then a second front pushes through from a border hugging low Saturday. Again not a huge dump but another 1-3" type even possible. By sunday many green mtn spine resorts could have 4" of new snow. Which when combined with re-surfacing and good depth on the groomers makes for really good piste skiing and the view is of winter as the trees get recovered. Thursday. Not so much. Pure crap. Wednesday. No dice. 

But if you want to wear the negative nancy hat, by all means, go on and rock that. I've got plenty of them myself and wear the hell out of them. I am a Philadelphia sports fan. 

Picked up almost 1/4" of an inch of snow in 20 minutes.  Now back to just flurries   30.6F.  Unusual for it to snow that hard and not see anything on radar. Echoes are starting to come in off the ocean.  

A couple of days ago with that 960 something low I thought we were really going to torch.   Now I bet with CAD I'll stay in the 30's or low 40's for most of this storm.  It will be interesting to see how much bare ground I will have.  Couple of inches of snow tonight will only help then maybe a layer of freezing rain on the pack.  

Picked up almost 1/4" of an inch of snow in 20 minutes. Now back to just flurries 30.6F. Unusual for it to snow that hard and not see anything on radar. Echoes are starting to come in off the ocean.

A couple of days ago with that 960 something low I thought we were really going to torch. Now I bet with CAD I'll stay in the 30's or low 40's for most of this storm. It will be interesting to see how much bare ground I will have. Couple of inches of snow tonight will only help then maybe a layer of freezing rain on the pack.

Still going to torch from wed till Sat

I checked the water content in the snowpack here this evening, and it's at 1.88" based on the average of two cores.  I would have thought it would be in the 2 - 3" range based on what I found when I cleared the back deck the other day, but presumably there's been some melting/sublimation over the past week or so.  There's not much frozen precipitation expected with this next system, so it will be interesting to see where the water content in the snowpack will be subsequent to this event.

I also took a look at where season snowfall sits, and with mean for this date at 38.6", this season is still about a half foot ahead of average.  However, that surplus is due to November, because December itself is now running behind average pace.  Current snowfall for the month is 22.9" and the mean is 26.7" through this part of December.  We'll have to see what happens over the last week or so of the month, but at the current season snowfall total, this season would fall behind average pace on December 28th.

Archived