• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Thanks for those pictures PF.   I took the liberty and posted them on my FB page.   I have done all my skiing in NH but I think skiing in Vermont, perhaps mostly Stowe must be more scenic in general with the flow over the spine and its associated weather.  What a great place for a weather buff to live, to be able to ski, hike and enjoy the changing conditions in such a short distance.

Glaciated snowcover here, weeks old and slowly melting drip by drip and refreezing at night.

Nice to see the Euro show something in a week.  Only 15 more runs to go and were golden!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The road shot was taken on a side street off Cochran Rd. between Richmond and Jonesville. They definitely got hammered with around 16-18 inches I would say as an estimate. You are seeing the plow wall in the shot. It was elevated (I am guessing over 1000ft but don't know exactly).

Thank you Coastal. I only wish I went out at about 3:30pm as that is when the light was incredible as the sun really returned just before setting.

Thanks for the pictures Scott and Eyewall.  I'm heading up to Vermont for 3 days next week. Gonna Do Killington and I purchased a 29$ pre xmas ticket for Bolton Valley so I will get a day in there. I know they are just caked in snow and will probably get some nice re-surfacing upslope wed nite to fri am. IF anyone has interest in meeting up give me a P.M.  

My Two Favorite views in New England Skiing is a beautiful blue bird day at wildcat looking across at Mount Washingon and The Top of Stowe looking down at the town and also looking down the Spine of the greens to the south , especially when there is undercast like in PF pics. It is more magical to actually be there and just smile knowing you are right where you want to be. Lets get a G2G up in NNE skiing!

Yeah, wow.  Certainly more snow than here.  Definitely looks like a foot and a half or so, vs the foot on the ground here.

Oh yeah there was definitely a bit of a jackpot zone there and lots of tree damage. Awesome shots from the mountain on your part! Cpick I have a season pass for Bolton and will try to go either Thu/Fri of next week assuming I get my normal days off.

Thanks for the pictures Scott and Eyewall.  I'm heading up to Vermont for 3 days next week. Gonna Do Killington and I purchased a 29$ pre xmas ticket for Bolton Valley so I will get a day in there. I know they are just caked in snow and will probably get some nice re-surfacing upslope wed nite to fri am. IF anyone has interest in meeting up give me a P.M.  

My Two Favorite views in New England Skiing is a beautiful blue bird day at wildcat looking across at Mount Washingon and The Top of Stowe looking down at the town and also looking down the Spine of the greens to the south , especially when there is undercast like in PF pics. It is more magical to actually be there and just smile knowing you are right where you want to be.

Yeah Bolton on the west side must be doing real well.  That West Side got a bit more snow towards the end of the system when the flow went really blocked  I bet it looks sick too with that extra riming they had over there the past couple days.  Just plastered white.

Regarding the bolded part in your post...it may be time to start talking about that.  I've seen a pretty decent upslope signal for that period after the rain or mixed precip at the start of the system.  I could see some ski area up here pull out a 6-inch dump after the mixed.  I'd say it looks good for maybe a 2-4" refresher at elevation, but someone like Jay could turn it into a little more.

Oh yeah there was definitely a bit of a jackpot zone there and lots of tree damage. Awesome shots from the mountain on your part! Cpick I have a season pass for Bolton and will try to go either Thu/Fri of next week assuming I get my normal days off.

I have a friend on Dugway Road there (the Gorge road) who just got power back after 3-4 days out.

Its good for that area...they can sometimes come up on the short end of the stick for whatever reason in that Richmond/Jonesville area.  When I lived there I'd often get like 6" while J.Spin just a couple miles east would get 12" or something, haha.  That area usually doesn't do best in those big synoptic events because southeast winds downslope hard off Camels Hump.

I have a friend on Dugway Road there (the Gorge road) who just got power back after 3-4 days out.

Its good for that area...they can sometimes come up on the short end of the stick for whatever reason in that Richmond/Jonesville area.  When I lived there I'd often get like 6" while J.Spin just a couple miles east would get 12" or something, haha.  That area usually doesn't do best in those big synoptic events because southeast winds downslope hard off Camels Hump.

Yeah I have noticed that when driving over to Bolton a couple of times last year. They definitely got in this instance though. I plan splurging for Stowe at some point this season for a day.

I've seen so many photos on social media of the clouds today...people were just blown away.

Riding the main chairlift you were treated to a fantastic view of it.  People keep posting on social media about the "waterfall clouds" coming over the ridgeline.  It was like a stream of water flowing over the ridgeline, and really reminds you of how fluid the atmosphere is.

I've seen so many photos on social media of the clouds today...people were just blown away.

Riding the main chairlift you were treated to a fantastic view of it.  People keep posting on social media about the "waterfall clouds" coming over the ridgeline.  It was like a stream of water flowing over the ridgeline, and really reminds you of how fluid the atmosphere is.

attachicon.gif10409181_10205699239746070_2586732989371319568_n.jpg

I've seen that in SFO too. Really cool. I wonder if the cool snowcover allows the air to stay cool and condensate despite flowing downhill.

I've seen that in SFO too. Really cool. I wonder if the cool snowcover allows the air to stay cool and condensate despite flowing downhill.

Yeah the micro-scale meteorology of it was pretty cool to ponder.  As it was flowing downhill it was drying out, but then the wave pattern was causing the air to rise again, especially as it hit other high terrain, so it was condensing again and causing this "bubbling up" effect.

Here's one by GPetrics from on the ridge.

10868125_966614110033235_251228520299329

attachicon.gif10409181_10205699239746070_2586732989371319568_n.jpg

Unreal. So beautiful.

Well I am not allowed to post graphics from a pay site but it jackpots NNE and northern VT including BTV. It is actually a solid hit for much of New England as 985 mb low or so reaches just east of the Cape a week from tonight. I doubt this will verify as progged right now but something to keep an eye on.

Well I am not allowed to post graphics from a pay site but it jackpots NNE and northern VT including BTV. It is actually a solid hit for much of New England as 985 mb low or so reaches just east of the Cape a week from tonight. I doubt this will verify as progged right now but something to keep an eye on.

No need to post for me. I can barely make heads or tails out of those things. I'm not a met, although I did stay at holiday inn express last night.

I was thinking about this last night. We were in the bullseye at d5 on the euro for the last system. Seems like the previous 3-4 winters we've gotten screwed every which way. Maybe this is the season we get lucky.

Archived