• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

MAV has sucked on the big cold rad nights up here lately, but regardless, here's the 12z MAV mins for tomorrow AM...

HIE -11F

LEB -8F

BML -6F

IZG -5F

1V4 -4F

VSF -3F

MPV -2F

HUL -2F

CON -1F

EEN -1F

AFN -1F

MVL -1F

SFM 2F

LCI 6F

BTV 6F

PWM 8F

MHT 8F

Some of those don't pass the smell test (LEB vs BML), but regardless it looks like a damn cold night shaping up. The MET and 2m temps aren't much warmer than those MAV numbers.

MOS fail again last night. I think BML came closest to their progged low with at least -3F this morning.

Got down to 7.9F here.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually get the snow off all the overhangs of the roof so I don't get ice dams.   Got to 30F today and lots of icicles and a 2" ice dam.  I'm lazy and counting on Sun and Monday thaw to take the snow away.  Now I don't think it will happen.  Probably cold air daming  (lots of daming in this post) will keep me cold for most of tomorrow and then not enough time for a good thaw before next cold air.  All in all there should be melting off and on this week. 

We've been out and about a lot around the holiday, but I've finally been able to run the liquid analyses on the past two storms.

Totals for period: 13.4” Snow/0.73" L.E.

Storm #1 totals: 11.6” Snow/0.63" L.E.

Storm #2 totals: 1.8” Snow/0.10" L.E.

I couldn’t separate the snow from the two storms, so I'm going with the average density, but it was all fairly fluffy so I suspect the numbers are close.  Anyway, barring any substantial sublimation, the numbers from here indicate that the ratio was 18.4:1, or 5.4% H2O.

In terms of accumulation, Storm #1 was collected in one roughly 12-hour block instead of 6-hour blocks, so there might have been a bit of additional accumulation reported if the smaller interval was used, and Storm #2 was collected on top of the accumulation from Storm #1, so there may have been a bit of compression there that would cause the same issue.  Overall though, the numbers seem pretty consistent with surrounding stations within similar microclimate/mountain valley locations as I look through the CoCoRaHS snow and liquid equivalent maps.

I was just checking on the forecast, and as we move toward December, it looks like the pattern will stay fairly active.  There appear to be four upcoming chances for snow along with some other wintry precipitation:

Tonight:

A WARM FRONT NOW OVER THE OHIO VALLEY WILL PUSH ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY TONIGHT...WHICH WILL ALLOW FOR LIGHT SNOW TO INITIALLY SPREAD ACROSS THE REGION. STRONG LOW-LEVEL WARM ADVECTION ON SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS IN EXCESS OF 40 KTS WILL ALLOW PRECIPITATION TO TRANSITION FROM LIGHT SNOW TO SLEET/ICE PELLETS.

Monday:

FOR MONDAY: COLD FRONT WILL HAVE PUSHED THROUGH THE NORTH COUNTRY WITH SHARPLY FALLING TEMPS THE GENERAL THEME. BTV-4 FROUDE NUMBER PROGS SUGGEST WEAKLY BLOCKED FLOW SO ANY LINGERING SNOW SHOWERS WILL DOT THE NORTHERN GREENS...THOUGH MOISTURE DEPTH WILL BE RATHER SHALLOW.

Wednesday:

CONDITIONS WILL CHANGE LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND ESPECIALLY ON WEDNESDAY AS LOW LEVEL FLOW TURNS AROUND TO THE SOUTHWEST AND WARMER AIR ALOFT MOVES INTO THE REGION. MOISTURE WILL ALSO BE MOVING IN AND UPSTREAM THERE WILL BE AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE MOVING DOWN FROM CANADA. THIS WILL ENHANCE THE FORCING OVER THE AREA AND PRECIPITATION SHOULD DEVELOP OVER THE AREA...ESPECIALLY ON WEDNESDAY. AT THIS TIME...THE THERMAL PROFILE SUGGESTS MIXED PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED DURING THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY BEFORE ENOUGH COLD AIR MOVES IN AND CHANGES ALL THE PRECIPITATION TO SNOW SHOWERS.

Saturday:

ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE IN ON SATURDAY AND ENHANCE THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME SNOW...WITH A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW IN THE LARGER VALLEYS.

Obviously the presence/timing of those latter events is subject to more change, but at least there's plenty of potential.

That's close to a hilltop, also.

Temp down to low teens here, will bump up soon as clouds/WAA arrives.

We're on a weenie hilltop on the border of Gray and New Gloucester. Stuck right between two small river valleys (Royal River and Chandler Brook), we're the tallest thing around for at least a mile in any direction. Thermometer sits just a tickle below 400 feet elevation.

The mild air is close by...just on the otherside of the mountain now.  Still sitting with wet bulbs on the east side in the low to mid-20s, but the warmth is building and will start spilling over soon.  Its fascinating to me how snowmaking is going on and still semi-productive, while just on the otherside of the mountain its well above freezing.

A few pics from yesterday out in the woods hunting, Truck therm was a balmy 2.0°F when i stepped out a 6:15 am, Deep winter as the snow in the woods in places was up to my knees with a good 15" in places, Lot of people riding the fields up there with snowmobiles which really makes my thumb itch........... :)

20141128_092139_zps1068228b.jpeg

20141128_074008_zpsd79474da.jpeg

20141128_105543_zps68ef4303.jpeg

20141128_105520_zps186a6f9f.jpeg

20141128_073952_zps4e77a45d.jpeg

A few pics from yesterday out in the woods hunting, Truck therm was a balmy 2.0°F when i stepped out a 6:15 am, Deep winter as the snow in the woods in places was up to my knees with a good 15" in places, Lot of people riding the fields up there with snowmobiles which really makes my thumb itch........... :)

20141128_092139_zps1068228b.jpeg

20141128_074008_zpsd79474da.jpeg

20141128_105543_zps68ef4303.jpeg

20141128_105520_zps186a6f9f.jpeg

20141128_073952_zps4e77a45d.jpeg

Nice. I saw a lot of snowmobile tracks last couple days through fields, road crossings.

What a mess.  

All three of my sandcherries are mangled, white hibiscus is a pile of sticks, hydrangea lost the front half.  One of the two big saucer magnolias by my front steps split at the base which will remove about 1/3rd of the canopy.  Depending on how it looks this spring, I might end up having to removing both. :(

The white pines across the street again unloaded all over that poor house for the 4th time since 2008.  The good news for them is that most of the giant limbs are basically gone now.

THE BRADFORD PEARS ACROSS THE STREET THAT ARE STARTING TO BLOCK MY VIEW ARE SOMEHOW FINE THOUGH.

What a mess.

All three of my sandcherries are mangled, white hibiscus is a pile of sticks, hydrangea lost the front half. One of the two big saucer magnolias by my front steps split at the base which will remove about 1/3rd of the canopy. Depending on how it looks this spring, I might end up having to removing both. :(

The white pines across the street again unloaded all over that poor house for the 4th time since 2008. The good news for them is that most of the giant limbs are basically gone now.

THE BRADFORD PEARS ACROSS THE STREET THAT ARE STARTING TO BLOCK MY VIEW ARE SOMEHOW FINE THOUGH.

Post up some pics please

33.9F  2pm.   This is when I don't like cold air damming.   I seem to be about the coldest places in New England.  Some sun would have helped.   Like eek about 10" of snow on the ground, should keep compacting but will we see bare ground before the next storm?.  It would be nice so the wildlife can eat some ground cover.

Archived