joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great shots Eyewall, I wish I had more time to go take scenics today. This is the most picturesque snow we've had in a long time that I can remember.

Thank you and the lack of wind with this system was key along with the snow's consistency. It was setup nicely to stick to the trees and stay there.

BTV's map of snowfall totals... impressive gradient that luckily our VT contingent on this forum were on the good side of.

Look at BTV area... 7-8" but Milton just to the north only 3.2".  There's like a 20-30 mile gradient from 3" to 10-13".

Last year we had a bit of bad luck in a few events, but this one we came out on the right side of it, also probably some luck there as even 20 miles further SE would've made a big difference here.

1965060_764901093581794_6482757854200712

BTV's map of snowfall totals... impressive gradient that luckily our VT contingent on this forum were on the good side of.

Look at BTV area... 7-8" but Milton just to the north only 3.2".  There's like a 20-30 mile gradient from 3" to 10-13".

Last year we had a bit of bad luck in a few events, but this one we came out on the right side of it, also probably some luck there as even 20 miles further SE would've made a big difference here.

1965060_764901093581794_6482757854200712

I think the Milton total may be a bit low but they were just outside the band we were in for a bit. I thought I saw a 5 inch report there.

was just checking the zones on wunderground and noticed the list of surviving PWS's has never been shorter.

This is now the longest power outage ever at my location.

I heard that all of  Laconia has no power.  Hopefully you get it back soon.  It would be nice to get that inverted trough up here to give us a fresh dusting, probably not.  My neighbors are seasonal residents from Boston that have not been up since Oct.  They have a service to keep their lawn manicured perfect.  Had not put in their driveway snow stakes, coming up tomorrow.  The plow guy just came by and guessed where the driveway is.  Woops, he missed by 6 feet and since the lawn was wet and not frozen dug the whole side up.  They will not be pleased tomorrow!

Miserable night coming up for 175,000 NH customers.  PSNH had 33% of their 500,000 customers out this AM  have been able to restore only 1% as of 4:30pm.  Doesn't include NHEC customers either.  With temps in the teens bad situation. Tomorrow night looks colder. Hope frozen pipes don't become and issue.

IMG_20141127_103854.jpg

40ish today,  90ish last week.  About half.  Of course the northern parts of the map had dry snow.  Look around the Concord area very little on.  I am surprised its not a bigger story, especially being in th 20's.  70F and no power is not bad, 25F is especially with out of town guests that you particularly are not fond of!

A few shots from this storm:

Beautiful shots eyewall – definitely shows how the accumulations can go without too much wind.  Drifts can be interesting, but the wind interferes with beautiful accumulations like that, complicates snowfall measurement, and degrades the quality of the champagne on the slopes, so I'm much more in favor of a clam storm over a windy one.

I was just looking through my records from the past eight seasons, and this storm was also notable as our second largest in November for our location, only surpassed by the 11/20/08 storm with 14.2" of accumulation.

13.5" was the final total here. A friend across town measured 14". Love having a snowblower but the newly redone driveway needs some more packing and freezing because I was spitting small stones like a machine gun. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and those folks in NH get their power back soon.

27NOV14A.jpg

Wow, quite the gradient off to our northwest – being in the banding definitely helped up here.

I'm seeing 44" for the season at the mountain?  That's just about double the total in the local mountain valleys, which says it's been a pretty cool month to me.  I suspect that 44" ranks pretty well among Novembers at the mountain?

It looks like the next opportunity for snow could be tonight into tomorrow – perhaps west side favored with the anticipated Froude Numbers:

WATER VAPOR SHOW MID/UPPER LVL TROF ACRS THE NE CONUS WITH SEVERAL EMBEDDED S/W`S IN THE WEST/NORTHWEST FLW ALOFT. 1ST S/W ACRS CENTRAL/WESTERN NY WITH SOME MID LVL MOISTURE AVAILABLE WL IMPACT OUR CWA THIS EVENING...WHILE NEXT PIECE OF ENERGY WL MOVE ACRS OUR FA EARLY FRIDAY MORNING. THESE SYNOPTIC SCALE FEATURES WL COMBINED WITH SEVERAL MESOSCALE FEATURES TO PRODUCE A LIGHT SNOW EVENT ACRS THE REGION TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY. WL INCREASE POPS TO LIKELY/CAT TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY...WITH SNOW ACCUMULATIONS RANGING FROM A DUSTING TO SEVERAL INCHES POSSIBLE. HAVE NOTED ON THE BTV4/6/12 AND ARW/NAM SOLUTIONS ALL SHOW WEAK REFLECTIVITY SIGNATURES MOVING FROM SW TO NE ACRS OUR FA TONIGHT ASSOCIATED WITH S/W ENERGY AND MID LVL MOISTURE. BY FRIDAY MORNING...WEAK LLVL CAA DEVELOPS BEHIND ENERGY AND SOME LAKE CHAMPLAIN LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS AND FLURRIES ARE LIKELY. IN ADDITION...TO LAKE INSTABILITY ASSOCIATED WITH PROGGED 85H TEMPS BTWN -12C AND -14C...FROUDE #`S OFF THE BTV4 ARE VERY LOW BTWN 0.40 AND 0.80...INDICATING BLOCKED FLW AND POTENTIAL FOR LIGHT SNOW IN THE CPV/WESTERN SLOPES REGION. ALSO...NORTH/NORTHWEST WINDS WL HELP ENHANCE LLVL CONVERGENCE ACRS THE EASTERN CPV/WESTERN SLOPES...TO PROMOTE ADDITIONAL WEAK LIFT...BUT FLW IS LIGHT SO FORCING WL BE LIMITED. LOOKING AT LOCAL SOUNDINGS SHOW GOOD RH >90% IN THE FAVORABLE SNOW GROWTH REGION...SO WE SHOULD SEE GOOD FLAKE SIZE WITH THIS LIGHT EVENT. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WL RANGE FROM A DUSTING TO MAYBE AN INCH OR TWO...WITH HIGHEST VALUES ACRS THE WESTERN SLOPE/NORTHERN DACKS AND PARTS OF THE EASTERN CPV. QPF WL BE LIGHT AND GENERALLY <0.10" THRU FRIDAY. TEMPS TONIGHT WITH PLENTY OF CLOUDS WL DROP INTO THE UPPER 10S MTNS TO L/M 20S VALLEYS.

Ok power really needs to come back now or my windmill palm is gonna get wrecked. :yikes:

PSNH had 34% out at the max.  Down to 29% out at 7pm.  Going to take several days.  I am sure they are trying to get the main lines working first and then the secondary and rural areas.  The Palm may have some problems!

New snow was at 1.0" when I sent my CoCoRaHS report in at 7:00 A.M., but there was 1.8" at 8:00 A.M., so it was falling at just a bit shy of 1"/hr.  It had quite the fire hose look, although it's definitely slowing down now and the radar even switched modes:

28NOV14A.gif

This storm actually pushed the month's snow total past the total for November 2008, making it the snowiest November in my records.  Also, this was the 7th accumulating storm of the month for our location, so it's currently tied with last season for tops in that category.  It's certainly been a good November for snow.

Ok 40 hours, no power. I would have thought nothing less than another 1938 would be required to pull that off.

is it seriously going to be in the single digits tonight?

starting to freak out.

if I drop what I'm doing and head for the airport, I could be home no sooner than midnight if I want to spend $730.  :/

Ok 40 hours, no power. I would have thought nothing less than another 1938 would be required to pull that off.

is it seriously going to be in the single digits tonight?

starting to freak out.

if I drop what I'm doing and head for the airport, I could be home no sooner than midnight if I want to spend $730.  :/

MAV has 6F and the MET has 8F for LCI. With the fresh pack it'll be chilly.

I did a little reconnaissance around the area to see if there was power. Looks like it's on in Center Harbor and SW Moultonboro area. Scott, you have anyone there to check in and maybe keep the water trickling or something?

The pipes should be ok, most of the ones along exterior walls have been drained.  It's my tropical storage room that I'm starting to worry about.  The replacement cost of all the plants I have in there is probably $4-5,000.  

My dad has one little propane heater that he's been moving from room to room, but he's going to fall asleep eventually.

Archived