• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Few snow squalls this AM briefly whitened the ground again.  Snow on ground remained today above 1200 feet.  Ice level trees on mountains is around 1500 feet.  Had to go down to Concord.  Looked like they plowed Rt 93 down to the hill just south of Exit 22.  The Sanborton parking lot north of Exit 20 is plowed but I could not see any remaining snow in the woods once I got to Dendrite Land around Exit 20.

Very windy up on the hill today.  My SW/W exposure gave me the full gusts.  40mph was the peak gust on the Davis.

I have a patchy dusting remaining in the yard and driveway, but that's about it.

Down to 24.8F...it's cold.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 22.8F.   

Just looking at Buffalo on my Weathertap HD radar.  You can zoom right into a city block.  Just sick to see those heavy snow bands, just south of downtown.  Literally you go 5 city blocks and go from nothing to whiteout.  The bands just sit.  I would love to be there right now and just drive in and out of the edge.   Kind of like a thunderstorm where 1/4 mile down the road gets socked and you stay dry.  Wish I could see someone Utube a video of driving in and out of the edge and what the sky looks like a few miles NW of the line.

Down to 22.8F.   

Just looking at Buffalo on my Weathertap HD radar.  You can zoom right into a city block.  Just sick to see those heavy snow bands, just south of downtown.  Literally you go 5 city blocks and go from nothing to whiteout.  The bands just sit.  I would love to be there right now and just drive in and out of the edge.   Kind of like a thunderstorm where 1/4 mile down the road gets socked and you stay dry.  Wish I could see someone Utube a video of driving in and out of the edge and what the sky looks like a few miles NW of the line.

Here is what the band looks like from the north: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152845826274568

Here is what the band looks like from the north: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152845826274568

Thanks eyewall.  It looks like just clouds with the base at ground level but in fact it must just be a wall of heavy snow.  Right at the edge you probably go from bursts of zero vis snow to no snow as the wall is stationary.  I think it is really worth to drive out to lake effect snow edges and experience this.  

Thanks eyewall.  It looks like just clouds with the base at ground level but in fact it must just be a wall of heavy snow.  Right at the edge you probably go from bursts of zero vis snow to no snow as the wall is stationary.  I think it is really worth to drive out to lake effect snow edges and experience this.  

Yeah it is definitely snow at the ground level, and that would be awesome for sure. The problem is they have most roads shut down into the band. The Special Weather Statement warns you WILL be trapped if you attempt to travel into it. This is the NYS Thruway in the band as the plows could no longer keep up:

10806249_577683985666683_230262552878193

Down to 22.8F.

Just looking at Buffalo on my Weathertap HD radar. You can zoom right into a city block. Just sick to see those heavy snow bands, just south of downtown. Literally you go 5 city blocks and go from nothing to whiteout. The bands just sit. I would love to be there right now and just drive in and out of the edge. Kind of like a thunderstorm where 1/4 mile down the road gets socked and you stay dry. Wish I could see someone Utube a video of driving in and out of the edge and what the sky looks like a few miles NW of the line.

The funny thing is you could get trapped in your car in 5" per hour snows and high winds, but while your car is stuck you could theoretically *walk* right out of the snowstorm in a couple miles.

Yeah it is definitely snow at the ground level, and that would be awesome for sure. The problem is they have most roads shut down into the band. The Special Weather Statement warns you WILL be trapped if you attempt to travel into it. This is the NYS Thruway in the band as the plows could no longer keep up:

10806249_577683985666683_230262552878193

Ski The East had the best caption for this.

"24-48" base depth. On I-90."

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.31" L.E.

There's nothing more to report beyond the 0.2" of additional snow that fell earlier today – the wind direction off Lake Ontario early this morning looked like it was in the 250º range, which lines us up for moisture, but then it moved more into 220º range, which put the flow of moisture to the north of this area.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 23.2 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 1.0"

It looks like the wind direction may be shifting tonight and bringing some of that Lake Ontario moisture back southward, so perhaps some snow will head this way as the band passes through.  There is some moisture beginning to approach the area per the radar:

18NOV14B.gif

It's early, but I decided to check on where snowfall stands on a seasonal basis, and this November is now actually in first place as of this date.  The first half of the month can be especially dicey, but as of today, this season is 3.2" ahead of last season, and 5.3" ahead of average.  It will probably take at least one decent event this month to get the November snowfall up near that ~20" range like 2007-2008, 2008-2009, or last season, but the recent cool weather has certainly helped get things off to a good start.

woke up to ~3.5" fresh.  very surprising.  coming down pretty well, though you wouldn't think so on the radar.

Unblocked flow at its finest, 3.5" at Waterbury along and east of the spine, 0.2" at Nashville on the western slopes.

Wed 11/19 06Z 1.05 2431  91  78 -14 0.00Wed 11/19 09Z 1.28 2630  93  90 -14 0.03Wed 11/19 12Z 1.14 2727  92  70 -15 0.04

woke up to ~3.5" fresh.  very surprising.  coming down pretty well, though you wouldn't think so on the radar.

Unblocked flow at its finest, 3.5" at Waterbury along and east of the spine, 0.2" at Nashville on the western slopes.

Wed 11/19 06Z 1.05 2431  91  78 -14 0.00Wed 11/19 09Z 1.28 2630  93  90 -14 0.03Wed 11/19 12Z 1.14 2727  92  70 -15 0.04

About a 1/2" at my house in Barre Town and looks to be about 2" here in downtown Montpelier.  Saw cars coming in that looked to have 3-4". 

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.34" L.E.

There was 1.4" of snow on the board this morning from whatever LES activity blew this way overnight due to the shifting Lake Ontario band.  This combination of repeated rounds of snow coupled with the cool temperatures is definitely starting to alter the appearance of the landscape in some areas – in town this morning, spots with well cut grass were pretty uniformly white to the point where you couldn't quite tell how much snow was down.  Roads that hadn't been plowed were definitely slick and drivers were generally taking their time in line with the conditions.  Even before checking in with the thread, I suspected the Froude Numbers were on the higher side overnight, because areas from Bolton Flats westward didn't appear to get much of the new snow at all – there's generally just a dusting through that point of the Winooski Valley onward, with essentially nothing on the ground in the Exit 10 area of Richmond.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 46.7

Snow Density: 2.1% H2O

Temperature: 24.3 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 2.5"

It looks like this sort of pattern will persist through the end of the week, with the BTV NWS considering Thursday the stat of a second distinct LES event.

PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR SAKE OF CLARITY AND TO MINIMIZE CONFUSION I`VE OPTED NOT TO CARRY LAKE SNOW HEADLINES FOR A FEW HOURS SO AS TO GIVE SEPARATION BETWEEN MOST RECENT LAKE SNOW EVENT AND THE UPCOMING SECOND ROUND WHICH WILL BE COVERED BY ADDITIONAL HEADLINES LATER THIS MORNING. LOW TEMPERATURES A BLEND OF AVAILABLE GUIDANCE...GENERALLY TEENS TO LOWER 20S.

ON THURSDAY SECONDARY SIGNIFICANT LAKE SNOW EVENT WILL UNFOLD ACROSS OUR LAKE ONTARIO SNOWBELTS WITH POTENTIAL DOWNSTREAM TRANSPORT NORTH AND EAST INTO PORTIONS OF FRANKLIN/NW CLINTON COUNTIES AS STRONG NRN STREAM SHORTWAVE TROUGH SWINGS INTO THE REGION. THE ASSOCIATED FRONTAL BOUNDARY APPEARS TO HAVE BETTER LOW LEVEL MOISTURE CONVERGENCE AND WEAK INSTABILITY SO POTENTIAL WILL EXIST FOR A HYBRID LAKE SNOW/SNOW SQUALL EVENT BY LATER IN THE DAY ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF OUR NRN NY COUNTIES OUTSIDE THE SNOWBELTS. HIGHS A TAD WARMER THAN TODAY GIVEN THE PRE-FRONTAL SOUTHERLY FLOW...GENERALLY 25 TO 35.

If any accumulations make it over this way from the next event I'll try to break them out accordingly.  Beyond that, the next opportunity for snow is Saturday/Sunday with a weak upper level disturbance:

ON SATURDAY, THE SURFACE RIDGE WILL SLIDE OFF THE ATLANTIC SEABOARD, PUTTING THE NORTH COUNTRY IN SOUTHERLY FLOW. THIS WILL HELP MODERATE TEMPERATURES SATURDAY NIGHT, BUT WILL ALSO ALLOW FOR MOISTURE TO INCREASE-FILTERING IN FROM THE SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST. WITH A WEAK UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE MOVING INTO THE AREA SUNDAY...THREAT FOR RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS INCREASES DURING THE DAY...BUT UPPER LEVEL RIDGING WILL BE LIMITING FACTOR FOR PRECIPITATION.

Ahhh ha, I was just wondering what the Froude was last night.

3.5" here too...around 5" at 1,500ft and up to a foot above 3,000ft.

Town

Mountain

1517480_950429694985010_5148183894383136

1524400_950429804984999_4655595792278894

Archived