Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the contrast of that 2nd shot J.Spin.

LavaRock, that's nuts storing that wood IN your garage (I don't even like stacking it near my house.)

Can't wait to head up to the cabin this weekend. The plan is to finally get the furnace running Friday (been 3 winters with wood stove as only heat source) and ski Loon or Bretton Woods Saturday. Is it odd that I look forward to the first ski weekend more than any other weekend of the year?

Love the contrast of that 2nd shot J.Spin.

Thanks, I liked that contrast aspect too.  We're well into stick season now, and the valleys are starting to look a bit drab without snow, but that image was taken from the grandstand at the Champlain Valley Exposition, so being in the Champlain Valley there are at least some trees with leaves hanging on.  The grass had a nice green as well, although I'd say the grass is still looking good in most places in the area right now.

You will know if you have some, There will be piles of sawdust around on the other wood

We've had some at our log-sided home, but a borax and sugar mix keeps them under control.  Our firewood lives outside except for a short time in the woodbox prior to visiting the stove.

Low 20sa at my place, maybe down to 20 earlier, as clouds covered about half the sky at sunrise.  Coolest of the season.

We've had some at our log-sided home, but a borax and sugar mix keeps them under control.  Our firewood lives outside except for a short time in the woodbox prior to visiting the stove.

Low 20sa at my place, maybe down to 20 earlier, as clouds covered about half the sky at sunrise.  Coolest of the season.

I don't burn wood for heat but i use it for outdoor fires, I happened to get my hands on 3 cords of oak and beach and you could hear them chomping away in there...........lol

I don't burn wood for heat but i use it for outdoor fires, I happened to get my hands on 3 cords of oak and beach and you could hear them chomping away in there...........lol

Never heard the ants masticating, but larvae of powder post beetles (native longhorned species, not Asian longhorned) can be clearly audible, especially in piled-down spruce and fir.  My 4+ cords, when I finish loading the front porch, will be half there and half in the tarped pile off the end of the driveway.  Last of the $30/cord wood, from the winter 2013 timber harvest on the woodlot.

Never heard the ants masticating, but larvae of powder post beetles (native longhorned species, not Asian longhorned) can be clearly audible, especially in piled-down spruce and fir.  My 4+ cords, when I finish loading the front porch, will be half there and half in the tarped pile off the end of the driveway.  Last of the $30/cord wood, from the winter 2013 timber harvest on the woodlot.

My brother in law told me that when they were cutting down some of them the ants were scurrying everywhere, They're only in there when the woods still wet, Once it starts to season they move on

You have grass up on the rock?.......lol, The grass stopped growing here a few weeks back

Grass has greened up surprisingly, both outside the office in AUG and on some fields (seen Friday) between here and BGR.  Odd to see the "poor man's fertilizer" effect in November.

Snowy owl posed charmingly for about 3 hr atop the adjacent building this morning, with some seriously long telephoto assemblies being deployed - might make the evening news?  Seems a bit early for them to show up at 44N - must be a down year for lemmings in the boreal forest.

The Euro seems to backing off a bit on Friday for this area. Definitely it has cut down on snow amounts as the low develops farther east as compared to previous runs.

I thought it looked fine...it has 24-hour amounts of 0.3" liquid equiv here.  It has a general stripe of 2-4" snowfall from this area across C/N NH and into Dryslot's area of Maine. 

Patchy snow at the Lafayette Place parking area (el. 1780'), which eventually became 6" or more on the Franconia Ridge (some drifts were above the knee). Excellent weather conditions despite the forecast which called for gusts to 70. Atop Mt Lafayette (5,260') the wind was puffing at 20ish.

I'm glad you're posting your hiking updates again Jayhawk.  I missed them this summer.

Patchy snow at the Lafayette Place parking area (el. 1780'), which eventually became 6" or more on the Franconia Ridge (some drifts were above the knee). Excellent weather conditions despite the forecast which called for gusts to 70. Atop Mt Lafayette (5,260') the wind was puffing at 20ish.

Mt Lafayette is on the bucket list for next summer as is Mt. Carrigain. We always seem to gravitate towards the Crawford Notch area, but there's so much more just a bit west.

It looks like crap.

It's not strong by any means, but somehow that's what it shows. I was just going by it verbatim...it had several rounds of light snow on Thursday into Friday.

It looks great though compared to the NAM and GFS. BTV tossed the snowier Euro solution though.

AFD-"As far as the first system there is a bit of discrepincency between the model suite. The event looks like it will be terrain driven with the mountains seeing an enhanced chance of snow showers. The European model (ecmwf) is quite a bit stronger with the first system and is a bit of an outlier so I trended more towards a blend with a higher bias towards the GFS and NAM."

Mt Lafayette is on the bucket list for next summer as is Mt. Carrigain. We always seem to gravitate towards the Crawford Notch area, but there's so much more just a bit west.

I'm guilty of heading for Crawford and Pinkham Notch too frequently as well, simply because of proximity. Franconia Notch is a pretty amazing place, though - the most impressive of the three from a car IMO. I'll see about on foot though ;) Make sure you do the loop and not just Lafayette, btw

It's not strong by any means, but somehow that's what it shows. I was just going by it verbatim...it had several rounds of light snow on Thursday into Friday.

It looks great though compared to the NAM and GFS. BTV tossed the snowier Euro solution though.

AFD-"As far as the first system there is a bit of discrepincency between the model suite. The event looks like it will be terrain driven with the mountains seeing an enhanced chance of snow showers. The European model (ecmwf) is quite a bit stronger with the first system and is a bit of an outlier so I trended more towards a blend with a higher bias towards the GFS and NAM."

I don't see 2-4" outside of the high terrain on the 12z ec op run. I think the ec op/ens trended a hair the wrong way too.

I don't see 2-4" outside of the high terrain on the 12z ec op run. I think the ec op/ens trended a hair the wrong way too.

Yeah I haven't been paying attention to trends or anything, just quickly saw 0.15-0.4" QPF on Friday in a sub-freezing column, so figured that solution would bring some light accumulations from here to Maine.

Either way, doesn't matter because the American models aren't biting.

Archived