Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always love your pics powderfreak great stuff

Thank man...I'm an images guy, would rather fill these threads with media content than written descriptions. Photos are really worth a thousand words no matter how cliche it is lol.

Yesterday featured the first good dusting into the lower elevations around the mountains (the more inhabited areas).  Hopefully we can get something more substantial in this pattern.

IMG_4132_edited-1_zps73e38352.jpg

FOR FRIDAY...ECWMF STILL SHOWS POTENT 5H VORT ROUNDING CLOSED
5H/7H CIRCULATION ACRS THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES AND PRODUCING A
ROUND OF SNOW SHOWERS AND SNOW SQUALLS. IN ADDITION...ECMWF SHOWS
SECONDARY COLD FRNT WITH ENHANCED 850 TO 500MB MOISTURE...ALONG
WITH FAVORABLE SFC TO 850MB SOUTHWEST TRAJECTORY...ADVECTING LLVL
LAKE MOISTURE INTO OUR REGION. THESE FACTORS WOULD SUPPORT LIKELY
POPS WITH SOME LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION LIKELY IN THE MTNS.
HOWEVER...GFS IS MUCH LESS AGGRESSIVE WITH THE RH PROFILES AND
TRACKS S/W ENERGY NORTHWEST OF OUR CWA ON FRIDAY...SUPPORTING A
DRIER SOLUTION. GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTY WL MENTION CHC POPS WITH
HIGHEST VALUES ACRS THE DACKS AND NORTHERN GREENS. STILL THINKING
A DUSTING TO SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE ON FRIDAY/FRIDAY
NIGHT...GIVEN DEVELOPING NORTHWEST FLW AND LLVL CAA HELPING TO
SQUEEZE OUT REMAINING MOISTURE OVER THE MTNS. ITS BEEN NOTED THE
ECWMF QUICKLY DEVELOPS SFC LOW PRES OVER THE GULF OF MAINE LATE
FRIDAY/SATURDAY...BUT PROGRESSIVE FLW ALOFT AND DEVELOPMENT IS TOO
FAR EAST TO HAVE ANY IMPACT ON OUR REGION. BOTH MODELS AGREE ON
PROGGED 85H TEMPS BTWN -9C AND -12C ON FRIDAY...SUPPORTING HIGHS
ONLY IN THE MID/UPPER TEENS MTN SUMMITS TO L/M 30S WARMER
VALLEYS.

I have my fingers crossed for snow squalls :)

FOR FRIDAY...ECWMF STILL SHOWS POTENT 5H VORT ROUNDING CLOSED

5H/7H CIRCULATION ACRS THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES AND PRODUCING A

ROUND OF SNOW SHOWERS AND SNOW SQUALLS. IN ADDITION...ECMWF SHOWS

SECONDARY COLD FRNT WITH ENHANCED 850 TO 500MB MOISTURE...ALONG

WITH FAVORABLE SFC TO 850MB SOUTHWEST TRAJECTORY...ADVECTING LLVL

LAKE MOISTURE INTO OUR REGION. THESE FACTORS WOULD SUPPORT LIKELY

POPS WITH SOME LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION LIKELY IN THE MTNS.

HOWEVER...GFS IS MUCH LESS AGGRESSIVE WITH THE RH PROFILES AND

TRACKS S/W ENERGY NORTHWEST OF OUR CWA ON FRIDAY...SUPPORTING A

DRIER SOLUTION. GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTY WL MENTION CHC POPS WITH

HIGHEST VALUES ACRS THE DACKS AND NORTHERN GREENS. STILL THINKING

A DUSTING TO SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE ON FRIDAY/FRIDAY

NIGHT...GIVEN DEVELOPING NORTHWEST FLW AND LLVL CAA HELPING TO

SQUEEZE OUT REMAINING MOISTURE OVER THE MTNS. ITS BEEN NOTED THE

ECWMF QUICKLY DEVELOPS SFC LOW PRES OVER THE GULF OF MAINE LATE

FRIDAY/SATURDAY...BUT PROGRESSIVE FLW ALOFT AND DEVELOPMENT IS TOO

FAR EAST TO HAVE ANY IMPACT ON OUR REGION. BOTH MODELS AGREE ON

PROGGED 85H TEMPS BTWN -9C AND -12C ON FRIDAY...SUPPORTING HIGHS

ONLY IN THE MID/UPPER TEENS MTN SUMMITS TO L/M 30S WARMER

VALLEYS.

I have my fingers crossed for snow squalls :)

Me too. I'm going to be at hunting camp located at 1450' just outside of Hardwick. It's at the top of some large fields and the view stretches from Mt. Mansfield to Jay Peak. When northwest winds get cranking it just rocks the house. Great place to experience a winter event at.

Me too. I'm going to be at hunting camp located at 1450' just outside of Hardwick. It's at the top of some large fields and the view stretches from Mt. Mansfield to Jay Peak. When northwest winds get cranking it just rocks the house. Great place to experience a winter event at.

That sounds like a great spot for weather watching.  Love wide expansive views to watch approaching weather.

That sounds like a great spot for weather watching. Love wide expansive views to watch approaching weather.

It is. I wish I was skilled enough with a camera to do it justice. The camp is on the side of Buffalo Mt., at the northern end of the Worcester Range. Or at least I think it's an extension of the Worcester Range. The wind can be strong up there, we've learned to keep the grill chained to the porch.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.44” L.E.

It was a busy day yesterday, so I didn’t get a chance to pass along the final numbers from the most recent storm, but part of the time was actually spent out in the snow, so fortunately that's still trumping an ultra timely report about the snow.  Anyway, by morning I wasn't able to capture any more than a trace of liquid from Friday night's snowfall due to whatever combination of melting/evaporation/sublimation took place, so that core had to go down as a trace.  But the Saturday morning report went in with 0.11" of additional liquid from the event and other information as follows:

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 30.1 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: Trace

In the morning I visited Mansfield for a ski tour to check out the recent snows, and I'll pass along some additional details and images from that when I get it put together, but for now I've included a couple of other images from yesterday.  The first is from Stowe around midday when I was heading back to Waterbury, and the second is from when we were in Essex Junction for an indoor soccer tournament in the afternoon.  It's been nice having the white peaks as a backdrop during one's daily travels; hopefully they'll persist as long as the temperatures stay at or below average.

08NOV14B.jpg

08NOV14A.jpg

It looks like the next opportunities for snow are tonight, and then Thursday night into Friday, although tonight's opportunity isn't too much of note, and there's still some model disagreement with what goes on toward the end of the week.  Related excerpts from the recent BTV NWS forecast discussion are added below:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 AM MONDAY MORNING/...

...A RATHER "BLAH" FORECAST ON TAP FOR TONIGHT WITH VARIABLE CLOUDS AND AN OUTSIDE CHANCE FOR A FEW LIGHT RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS LATE ACROSS THE FAR NORTH AS WEAK ADDL NRN STREAM ENERGY APPROACHES FROM THE WSW LATE. HIGHEST COVERAGE OF CLOUDS CENTRAL/NORTH. MEAN SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT SHOULD PRECLUDE ANY PCPN IN THE BROADER VALLEYS DUE TO DOWNSLOPING EFFECTS...BUT HAVE MAINTAINED IDEA OF SLIGHT TO LOW CHANCE POPS ACROSS OUR NRN NY COUNTIES INTO THE FAR NRN GREENS LATER THIS EVENING/TONIGHT AS ENERGY NEARS. QPF SCANT TO VERY LIGHT AT BEST...PERHAPS A HUNDREDTH OR TWO IN FAVORED SPOTS.

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...

FOR FRIDAY...ECWMF STILL SHOWS POTENT 5H VORT ROUNDING CLOSED 5H/7H CIRCULATION ACRS THE CENTRAL GREAT LAKES AND PRODUCING A ROUND OF SNOW SHOWERS AND SNOW SQUALLS. IN ADDITION...ECMWF SHOWS SECONDARY COLD FRNT WITH ENHANCED 850 TO 500MB MOISTURE...ALONG WITH FAVORABLE SFC TO 850MB SOUTHWEST TRAJECTORY...ADVECTING LLVL LAKE MOISTURE INTO OUR REGION. THESE FACTORS WOULD SUPPORT LIKELY POPS WITH SOME LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION LIKELY IN THE MTNS. HOWEVER...GFS IS MUCH LESS AGGRESSIVE WITH THE RH PROFILES AND TRACKS S/W ENERGY NORTHWEST OF OUR CWA ON FRIDAY...SUPPORTING A DRIER SOLUTION. GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTY WL MENTION CHC POPS WITH HIGHEST VALUES ACRS THE DACKS AND NORTHERN GREENS. STILL THINKING A DUSTING TO SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE ON FRIDAY/FRIDAY NIGHT...GIVEN DEVELOPING NORTHWEST FLW AND LLVL CAA HELPING TO SQUEEZE OUT REMAINING MOISTURE OVER THE MTNS.

Archived