Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epic way to kick off a winter thread, congrats. How much did the summit get....so far

I measured 4-4.5" in sheltered areas above 3,000ft...2-4" between 2,000-3,000ft...and 1.5" at 1,500ft.  It was a caking snow last night so it look nice up high with 4" plastered to all the trees.  Not quite as much as I had hoped but I have no complaints haha.  It was full winter up there all day.

Thank you. Wow, can't believe its here already.

And I want to say thank you in advance for this upcoming winters pics and weather updates.

Now, the last few winters have been somewhat frustrating and I am fully optimistic as I am every year, that this is one is going to be great. Big big snows incoming. I'm going to go out and have a drink to massive snowpocolypse of a winter.

Seems pretty much climo for you...no?

Yeah dead on climo, lol. 

I'm just saying every year Mother Nature misses the memo of Fall lasting till the end of December.

Good pics guys. Glad winter finally made it from the SNE coastal plain to NNE mtns.    ;)

Yeah, the natural progression of winter is occurring.  Arriving first in the spots down south and east, then slowly working its way northwest, :lol:.

Great timing on the winter thread PF!  With the falling temperatures we've got accumulating snow down here at the house now, so took a core and the usual observations at 6:00 P.M., and I'll put together a report in a bit.  With only a trace of snow in October, this actually marks the first official accumulation of the season, and it's definitely on the late side – it's the second latest date I've recorded for 1st accumulating snow (2007-2008 was November 16th), and it it's even just beyond 1 S.D. from the mean (October 26th ± 11 days).  The rate of snowfall has definitely been increasing since I've arrived home – you can see that on the local radar, and with the precipitation coloring it shows how the mountain valleys have switched over to snow:

07NOV14A.gif

Yeah dead on climo, lol. 

I'm just saying every year Mother Nature misses the memo of Fall lasting till the end of December.

Yeah, the natural progression of winter is occurring.  Arriving first in the spots down south and east, then slowly working its way northwest, :lol:.

It appears Franconia Notch per usual is getting it pretty good. It is always raining or snowing when I drive through - magnet.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=44.54412079&lon=-72.02130127&zoom=8&pin=Lyndonville%2c%20VT&rad=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

Cannon mtn getting lit up.

Yeah they must do good in NW flow hitting that area of the Whites...looks like its aligned well to have a cross-barrier flow from NW.

Here's a pic from their Facebook page at 1pm...

535919_926023964091767_35065413455965662

And here's one more from Brian Mohr at Mad River Glen.  Pictures of snow this time of year never get old, haha.

10641274_10152892062930746_4275244792123

Great timing on the winter thread PF!  With the falling temperatures we've got accumulating snow down here at the house now, so took a core and the usual observations at 6:00 P.M., and I'll put together a report in a bit.  With only a trace of snow in October, this actually marks the first official accumulation of the season, and it's definitely on the late side – it's the second latest date I've recorded for 1st accumulating snow (2007-2008 was November 16th), and it it's even just beyond 1 S.D. from the mean (October 26th ± 11 days).  The rate of snowfall has definitely been increasing since I've arrived home – you can see that on the local radar, and with the precipitation coloring it shows how the mountain valleys have switched over to snow:

07NOV14A.gif

Yeah J.Spin we've got accumulating snow down here now too.  Only a tenth or two on the deck, but its white.  A nice streamer has been coming off Mansfield and down RT 108 here.

Just nice to watch the flakes lazily fall in the flood lights again.  Feels good that its finally here.  Looks like another batch is billowing up on the west side, may need to take a weenie drive up the road later tonight as I bet the road is getting snowpacked up above 1,300ft at the mountain.

Pretty classic wind flow for persistent light snows...even though moisture is decreasing and shrinking from the top down (looks like 8000ft or so is probably the top of the moisture).  I'd guess the Froude number is probably near 1.0 right now, with equal parts east and west slope with unidirectional NW flow from the surface to 8kft, at a steady 30kts. 

November_7_VAD_zpsn8dspv5o.gif

Wow my mind is blown.  The Mansfield Coop reported 5.5" of new snow with a whopping 0.9" of liquid equivalent.  I didn't see 5-6" but that's very interesting.  Its not often they surprise me on the high end.  We only ended up with 0.35-0.4" of liquid in town, so the summit more than doubled us up.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
526 PM EST FRI NOV 7 2014

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW
24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.90 30 20 20 5.5 5

Just nice to watch the flakes lazily fall in the flood lights again.  Feels good that its finally here.  Looks like another batch is billowing up on the west side, may need to take a weenie drive up the road later tonight as I bet the road is getting snowpacked up above 1,300ft at the mountain.

Yeah, it's nice to have the snow falling again in the valleys.  I turned on the cable Christmas music station and it's a good fit with the flakes and whitening out there.

Wow my mind is blown.  The Mansfield Coop reported 5.5" of new snow with a whopping 0.9" of liquid equivalent.  I didn't see 5-6" but that's very interesting.  Its not often they surprise me on the high end.  We only ended up with 0.35-0.4" of liquid in town, so the summit more than doubled us up.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

526 PM EST FRI NOV 7 2014

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.90 30 20 20 5.5 5

Well, that's ~0.90" of liquid down in that snow, so it should be interesting to see if this marks the start of the season's snowpack.  There's nothing in the Mansfield forecast for that elevation that gets the temperatures above the 30s F over the next seven days, and there are even lows expected in the teens next week, so the snow will likely be sticking around unless there is substantial melting from below.

Almost as impressive as PF and MJH...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice!  You cover that thing and you've got a measurable 0.1".  Its sweet these showers are carrying so far downwind. 

The persistent flurry has been the rule today in town, with steady stuff hovering over the mountain.  It sounds more pellet-like or graupel like now though when you listen to it.  I think we've lost the snow growth of the earlier stuff.

Weak echos but it is accumulating slowly, can see it on the grass now.  Still only 32.3F. 

I saw SLK reported -SN observations consecutively from 9pm yesterday until 4pm today.   That's a good persistent snow, even if accumulations are only an inch or two there.

Here's a little bit ago...

November_7_lightsnow_zps0glurhb2.gif

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.44” L.E.

We had snow at times in Burlington today, with no accumulation, but by the time I got back into the mountains and reached the Waterbury Park and Ride around 5:45 P.M., the precipitation was all snow there.  I arrived home to find a slushy 0.1" of snow on the snowboard, but the precipitation was all snow at that point, and it was quite dry with the cooling temperatures.  After clearing the board, another 0.4" of fluff accumulated this evening, and there's still a bit of light snow activity out there with the northwest flow.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.3

Snow Density: 30.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Light Snow

Snow at the stake: Trace

Archived