SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2014-2015 Winter Sports thread

Jonger

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody follow the snows in the Rockies at all? I've checked over in the western sub forum but not much is said over there. I don't have a lot of weather knowledge, but come here to see what's coming down the line for snows.

I snowmobile in WI, in the UP once in awhile, and in the Rockies as much as possible.

Does anybody follow the snows in the Rockies at all? I've checked over in the western sub forum but not much is said over there. I don't have a lot of weather knowledge, but come here to see what's coming down the line for snows.

I snowmobile in WI, in the UP once in awhile, and in the Rockies as much as possible.

There aren't many trails out there, so not many good reports. It seems to me that it only takes one storm to drop multiple feet in the hot spots, so the season is pretty much guaranteed to be good.

I'd probably just check webcams.

Looking forward to another strong winter.

We have done opening weekend in the UP for a few years, basing out of Munising. Not sure if any December trips are in the cards - possibly mid month before the holidays. One year we did the two time zone new years run on Lake Gogebic between the Hoop and ?. That was awesome.

I remember once getting out to ride locally in the fields after a few inches on Thanksgiving day. Had an old Excel 340. Fan cooled and fine!

Really hoping this one goes no farther than Grayling, it's getting dangerously too far north.

Starting to look like a Grand Marais trip is on order for you to sled!

I don't snowmobile but go up north to downhill ski ... want this to be a sled/ski tread?  I will talk a lot about the snow conditions up north but more in regard to skiing :)  Which in the end we want the same :snowing:

Starting to look like a Grand Marais trip is on order for you to sled!

I don't snowmobile but go up north to downhill ski ... want this to be a sled/ski tread? I will talk a lot about the snow conditions up north but more in regard to skiing :) Which in the end we want the same :snowing:

Yea, I will probably edit it.

Just no snowshoeing or snowman building!

Hmm...

Possible heavy LES in spots within northern Lower?

Putting the new hyfax, carbides and taking my console apart tonight... Gotta figure out why my steering stem is bent.

Probably has something to do with my 250lb body getting thrown over and into the handle bars last season!

I normally install the backyard hockey rink the Friday after thanksgiving....I might have to (or want to) bump that up to this weekend.

good luck with the sled season boys!

Those freeze solid quickly... You could be skating by Monday if it was already laid out.

Hmm...

Possible heavy LES in spots within northern Lower?

Putting the new hyfax, carbides and taking my console apart tonight... Gotta figure out why my steering stem is bent.

Probably has something to do with my 250lb body getting thrown over and into the handle bars last season!

Potentially, next week or so looks pretty good for LES potential. Wont have much of a "base" but two tracks and fields may be in order. Just respect the hunters of course. 

Potentially, next week or so looks pretty good for LES potential. Wont have much of a "base" but two tracks and fields may be in order. Just respect the hunters of course.

I might possibly take my sled up there this weekend or early next week. I would ride between 11am and 3pm, then head home.

Cant wait till the outdoor ice rink near my house is in operation. In my area, the neighbourhood gets together and freezes this giant court so people can skate and play ice hockey. Always fun when a community gets together and makes the best out of everything. 

I personally play Ice Hockey so its always great to play with fellow players in my area every Winter. 

And Go Leafs Go, haha. Enjoy everyone! 

Good call on getting up ridding last week Jonger with all that good snow, it's pretty much gone in the lower. UP will be ok north of M28 again this weekend. It's sad that so many places in the lower set November snowfall records only to have it melt away by December 1st. I hate to say it but a white Thanksgiving is followed up by a brown Christmas more times then not up at our place.

How are things around Gaylord?

I'm punting all UP trips until the 18th at least.

We had over 2' + two weeks ago, now we have maybe 4-5 inches at my house. Over 60" fell for the month and we have nothing to show for ti now, I know it was only November but what a waste of awesome snow.

Not looking good the next couple weeks with the long range. Hopefully we can rebound by X-Mas week but not sure. Last year was great Mid-December on, this year have some doubts.

Good call on getting up ridding last week Jonger with all that good snow, it's pretty much gone in the lower. UP will be ok north of M28 again this weekend. It's sad that so many places in the lower set November snowfall records only to have it melt away by December 1st. I hate to say it but a white Thanksgiving is followed up by a brown Christmas more times then not up at our place.

When we were up there, we didn't see a single sled other than ours. The locals were almost mad we were up there riding.

Some old guy told me to not bother and just wait till Dec 1st, I quickly reminded him how awful snowmobiling on dirt was. Sure enough, I took the risk and it paid off. You might just want to punt the entire month of December.

We are checking out Wawa, Ontario for the 18th-22nd... If that's even possible. Some of the northern loops might be far enough north to escape the worst of it, but even those might be screwed too.

Archived