joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:  excellent point.  There is no one southeast of DC to complain about warm tongues...unless you live on the beach.

As far as the ongoing debate about eastcoast vs midwest and winter weather.   Compared to DC I like where we sit much better here in CMH.   Yes, DC can get the 24+" blockbusters, but usually when they do, we cash in a bit as well.  Very unusual for DC to get a historic snow without us getting something from it as well.   The reverse never works.

(blizzard of '96 we picked up 12".... PD02 we picked up 15"....'09-'10 snowapocalysis we picked up close to 10").  

Once you get north of philly, then I think the debate becomes more muddy.  I could easily favor Boston winters over CMH winters.

And that would make logically sense, as Boston is a decent bit north of Columbus in latitude.  However, I would start to say I favor Boston winters over ours as I'm a 'Go Big or Go Home' type of guy (like Alek) in terms of preference.  Also, less cold, dry boring periods in Boston than here.

who would have ever guessed 60+ for a xmas eve high 2 weeks ago.....we were suppose to be shivering in the vestibule of the pattern change looking at endless oncoming snow and cold.

I know, right?! Then, taking a peak at the 12z GFS, we go to cold, dry and complete suppression. So plenty of time for things to trend north. LOL

And that would make logically sense, as Boston is a decent bit north of Columbus in latitude. However, I would start to say I favor Boston winters over ours as I'm a 'Go Big or Go Home' type of guy (like Alek) in terms of preference. Also, less cold, dry boring periods in Boston than here.

Any weather above freezing is boring during winter. Boston can't keep snow on the ground very long, I'd be much happier in the mountains on the west side of the state. The Berkshire mountains are nice.

Any weather above freezing is boring during winter. Boston can't keep snow on the ground very long, I'd be much happier in the mountains on the west side of the state. The Berkshire mountains are nice.

another good point.  If you're a snow cover duration whore, the i-95 blows in that category....DC to Boston.    

Don Sutherland bringing up 1991-92 in the main forum.  He says he's not ready to give up on winter, but damn that's a bad sign.  Almost no one expected this kind of thing to happen this year.

Yep, an eloquent but devastating read...lol.  I call it construction of the emergency exit.   

Models seem to agree that we have a decent shot of cold between xmas and new years with a couple of opportunities.  At around

blizzard watch up for the summits in hawaii

Dang...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM HST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HONOLULU HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM HST WEDNESDAY. THE

BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ABOVE 11500 FEET.

* HAZARD TYPES...VERY STRONG WINDS AND BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS. HEAVY

SNOW...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...AND LIGHTNING STRIKES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO 12 INCHES THROUGH WEDNESDAY...WITH HIGHER

DRIFTS.

* TIMING...THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AND POTENTIALLY LIFE-THREATENING

CONDITIONS FOR ANYONE ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE OR HIKE TO THE SUMMITS.

* WINDS...SOUTH INCREASING TO 45 TO 65 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 90 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW ONE QUARTER MILE IN HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS

AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT

CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF

YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET

STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

&&

Meanwhile we might touch 60 on Christmas Eve here. Saddening.

What a scary write up by Don. Crappy winters happen and its good to just get them out of the way. As I type this Im looking at almost 50 degrees on my car dash and the lawns are oddly green for this time of year. Hopefully we salvage at least part of the winter.

52 on mine. It doesn't even feel cold, just dank and gross. Worst weather.

Might as well just make it another 6 weeks so we can eclipse the 4 year mark.  December will be almost a complete shutout.  We may get a few tenths tomorrow though if all goes well.  Hell, I'm actually ready for spring. :lmao:

your drought is insane. It's not like you're in a particularly poor spot... just luck of the draw I guess. I'll be rooting for you from here out! :D

LAF went from Feb 2008 to Dec 2013 without a pure 6"+ snowfall. Granted we suck at winter usually, but droughts happen. You guys will get yours eventually, and then you'll probably rip off a few in a relatively short span. I'm with Bo though, rooting for you guys to get one soon. 

What a scary write up by Don. Crappy winters happen and its good to just get them out of the way. As I type this Im looking at almost 50 degrees on my car dash and the lawns are oddly green for this time of year. Hopefully we salvage at least part of the winter.

After a wintry November, we have seen 3-4 weeks of pure hell. But that is such a small sample size in the grand scheme of an entire winter, theres simply no way to assume this will be one. You are totally correct that crappers happen (& what better karma time to get one than following a historic winter like last). But its Dec 23rd...theres no way to tell if it will or will not happen.

Dons post wasnt really that scary for us. Not only because he adamantly said he still sees a good Jan/Feb or that he wasnt necessarily calling for a 1991-92 redux but because 1991-92 was not a terrible winter here like it was out east..it was mild, but with several good snowstorms, actually finishing the season with a normal (actually SLIGHTLY above normal) snowfall of 43.5" at DTW. It included a snowstorm (Jan 14th) that is about as good a storm as you can get here (tremendous snowfall rates, thunder & lightning). Actually, that winter is what several of our SE MI posters in some of our recent brutal winters have claimed that would be their dream winter. Several big snowstorms/periods of winter, but several nice periods in between, not sustained cold.

After a wintry November, we have seen 3-4 weeks of pure hell. But that is such a small sample size in the grand scheme of an entire winter, theres simply no way to assume this will be one. You are totally correct that crappers happen (& what better karma time to get one than following a historic winter like last). But its Dec 23rd...theres no way to tell if it will or will not happen.

Dons post wasnt really that scary for us. Not only because he adamantly said he still sees a good Jan/Feb or that he wasnt necessarily calling for a 1991-92 redux but because 1991-92 was not a terrible winter here like it was out east..it was mild, but with several good snowstorms, actually finishing the season with a normal (actually SLIGHTLY above normal) with 43.5". It included a snowstorm (Jan 14th) that is about as good a storm as you can get here (tremendous snowfall rates, thunder & lightning). Actually, that winter is what several of our SE MI posters in some of our recent brutal winters have claimed that would be their dream winter. Several big snowstorms/periods of winter, but several nice periods in between, not sustained cold.

Good point.

That Jan 14th storm was a low and partial triple phaser that had bombed out from above 1000mb along the Gulf Coast to 980mb over Erie, PA. A perfect big storm track for Detroit, albeit an extremely rare track.

011400.png

011406.png

011412.png

011418.png

:thumbsup:

I am with the others. Normally, if a storm does not hit MBY, I do not care what happens where. In fact, there are certain instances where I may root AGAINST some place even though MBY doesnt have any stock in the particular event :lol:. But you are the one person I can say Im truly rooting for! You have gone through a drought that is pure bad luck. I mean, most of us have seen stretches like this in the past, but thats usually during our crappy winters of yesteryear. With epic winters lately, you should not be in this drought, and you have complained VERY little about it compared to what others tend to complain about. So GOOO SE MI (& cyclones backyard) is my winter wishlist for Ma Nature ;)

Good point.

That Jan 14th storm was a low and partial triple phaser that had bombed out from above 1000mb along the Gulf Coast to 980mb over Erie, PA. A perfect big storm track for Detroit, albeit an extremely rare track.

011400.png

011406.png

011412.png

011418.png

Thats about the only storm I can remember here where there were several MORE inches of snow than hours of snowfall. I mean, we have seen thumpings in many of our recent winter storms, but its usually a period of thump in a long duration storm. On Jan 14, 1992, you could be walking in your backyard grass around midnight, then wake up to a blinding blizzard, and see the sun peaking out before lunchtime.

And its not as if that was the only good storm of that winter (clearly it was the best though). Thats a perfect example of a how a blazing red temp departure map (see dons map) does not tell the tale to those of us in the north. We do NOT need colder than normal temps to have a snowy winter. We just need things to align perfectly, like they have time and time again the past decade (but are currently stalled in December of 2014 lol).

I am with the others. Normally, if a storm does not hit MBY, I do not care what happens where. In fact, there are certain instances where I may root AGAINST some place even though MBY doesnt have any stock in the particular event :lol:. But you are the one person I can say Im truly rooting for! You have gone through a drought that is pure bad luck. I mean, most of us have seen stretches like this in the past, but thats usually during our crappy winters of yesteryear. With epic winters lately, you should not be in this drought, and you have complained VERY little about it compared to what others tend to complain about. So GOOO SE MI (& cyclones backyard) is my winter wishlist for Ma Nature ;)

So true. I had no idea it was that bad there. Kudos, Iowa posters.

Archived