joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread

Whitelakeroy

I'm liking the 12Z Euro.

Good hit for Gaylord.

Yeah Boyne gets 10" on that run.

You know this winter is going just like I have said to many people. They kept hearing how hard of a winter we were going to get. I told them to watch out when so many are calling for a bitter cold long winter. Mama nature finds a way to give them the middle finger. :) Of course I gave them a lot more of a forecast and currently things are going pretty much as I said to them. Wish I would have been wrong :( ... thank goodness for northern Michigan!!!! I now have 2 big ski trips planned.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You only need cold, they make snow for skiing. Can't say the same for my hobby, the closest place to ride would be near Bo or Wawa, Ontario. Those places are 350 miles away. If the western solutions pan out, that doesn't improve my hopes through Jan 1st. This would be my longest meteorological winter period without riding on record.

You only need cold, they make snow for skiing. Can't say the same for my hobby, the closest place to ride would be near Bo or Wawa, Ontario. Those places are 350 miles away. If the western solutions pan out, that doesn't improve my hopes through Jan 1st. This would be my longest meteorological winter period without riding on record.

True ... so far December has been kind in that regard.  Ski hills are mostly open with groomed conditions.  UP would be your saving grace but that is quite a distance to drive.

I hope Jonger and crew get plastered and IL-WI get shut out because as it stands right now it looks like driving to Duluth on Weds. is going to be: unpleasant

I would like that too :) 

Looking at the last EURO snowfall map (if that is correct???) it really shouldn't be to bad for you as surface temps will not be all that 'cold'.  Treated/traveled roads will be mostly wet.

A few days ago I was excited when the Euro was showing a 970 sitting right over my head. I wasn't worried about snow, but I was excited that a bomb would be sitting over my head.

It looks like the end result will be that placement will be close, but I get a 990mb low right over my head. post-830-0-29181300-1419298989.gif

^^^No better way to cap off this lame December...

I'll say. All that cold in November, and we couldn't even get one decent snow storm before Christmas. What a waste.

This is up there with 1998. In fact, at least 1998 had some genuinely nice weather to help make it somewhat enjoyable. This has just been a cold, dreary month with pretty much no redeeming qualities. Reminds me of a lot of the abysmal winters of the 90's.

I'll say. All that cold in November, and we couldn't even get one decent snow storm before Christmas. What a waste.

This is up there with 1998. In fact, at least 1998 had some genuinely nice weather to help make it somewhat enjoyable. This has just been a cold, dreary month with pretty much no redeeming qualities. Reminds me of a lot of the abysmal winters of the 90's.

Those 1990s winters sure were crappy.

amen!

majority are here in the winter time to track SNOW....not cold shots....not 500mb long wave patterns....SNOW.   If you want to argue about the excitement over a historic cold shot, I'll give you that, but again you usually need snow for that too.

If we can't have the snow, then I want it comfortable to be outside.   I too would take '98 or '11 over this.

If we can't have the snow, then I want it comfortable to be outside.

100% agree with this. My wife was sad to hear that it's going to be in the 60's on Christmas Eve, but I'm excited. I'm getting to the age where if it's not going to snow, I want it to be in the 60's - 70's during the winter. Who wants to suffer the cold, dry, air masses???

Pattern was starting to look great with cold and many storm possibilities but now just cold and dry and boring and blah and add you descriptor here... Yes I know it can change but so far since middle of September I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise. Brief mild then a significant storm to the western GLs then cold with any storm to the east of GLs with a bunch of dry slightly below normal cloud day to fill in the blanks. Rinse & repeat.

Glad I go to the LES belts a lot during the winter (got that awesome 10" event on Thanksgiving :) ). I can why many just want to pass and go mild.

What ticks me off about storms in the Midwest is that the low often seem to have to go waaaay southeast in order to get snow. Often so much warm air wrapped in them. Then, the snow band is often so narrow, you have to be in the 50 mile wide swath of snow or you don't get much. I grew up in the east (Pennsylvania), so I'm used to the "snow if you're northwest of the low" phrase. Also, storms on the east coast seem to be stronger in that they can wrap the cold air in better.

After 6 years in the Midwest, the climate here still puzzles me.

What ticks me off about storms in the Midwest is that the low often seem to have to go waaaay southeast in order to get snow. Often so much warm air wrapped in them. Then, the snow band is often so narrow, you have to be in the 50 mile wide swath of snow or you don't get much. I grew up in the east (Pennsylvania), so I'm used to the "snow if you're northwest of the low" phrase. Also, storms on the east coast seem to be stronger in that they can wrap the cold air in better.

east coast always has had better big storm climo

Storms run out of juice as they head north, dry air works into the center much faster too. 

We also suffer from convection to the south, robbing moisture transport without any way to replenish the lost moisture. 

East coast storms will have 500 mile wide swaths of 12+ inch snow dumps... That never happens here.

East coast posters rarely get into IMBY wishfests that deny other east coasters of snow, we have west siders and east siders wishcasting a 75 mile wide swatch of snow right now.

Yeah, but you'd think with an overall colder climate here, when we do get big storms we could get better luck with the rain/snow line.  Can't tell you how many times so far since fall we've had 30s and 40s with a cold rain.

This is what happens when you have a 2 week pattern of non conductive winter temps/patterns.

An eastcoast storm that has the low off-shore also has a warm sector, it's just out in fish-land and nobody sees the temps unless you look at buoy data. We have actual posters in the SE section and they have to deal with rain and watch west side posters get snow.

This is what happens when you have a 2 week pattern of non conductive winter temps/patterns.

An eastcoast storm that has the low off-shore also has a warm sector, it's just out in fish-land and nobody sees the temps unless you look at buoy data. We have actual posters in the SE section and they have to deal with rain and watch west side posters get snow.

:lol:  excellent point.  There is no one southeast of DC to complain about warm tongues...unless you live on the beach.

As far as the ongoing debate about eastcoast vs midwest and winter weather.   Compared to DC I like where we sit much better here in CMH.   Yes, DC can get the 24+" blockbusters, but usually when they do, we cash in a bit as well.  Very unusual for DC to get a historic snow without us getting something from it as well.   The reverse never works.

(blizzard of '96 we picked up 12".... PD02 we picked up 15"....'09-'10 snowapocalysis we picked up close to 10").  

Once you get north of philly, then I think the debate becomes more muddy.  I could easily favor Boston winters over CMH winters.

Storms run out of juice as they head north, dry air works into the center much faster too. 

We also suffer from convection to the south, robbing moisture transport without any way to replenish the lost moisture. 

East coast storms will have 500 mile wide swaths of 12+ inch snow dumps... That never happens here.

East coast posters rarely get into IMBY wishfests that deny other east coasters of snow, we have west siders and east siders wishcasting a 75 mile wide swatch of snow right now.

Lol. Yes, this! I feel like it is like that with every storm here.

Yeah, but you'd think with an overall colder climate here, when we do get big storms we could get better luck with the rain/snow line.  Can't tell you how many times so far since fall we've had 30s and 40s with a cold rain.

Exactly.

Archived