joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh come one that's what most people do 24/7/365. ;)

Outdoor people are the minority.

No snow in winter for me is the difference between a weekend of fun, or browsing the web and sleeping on the couch.

A good bowel movement to break up the monotony.

Anybody know this meteorologist or have any opinions on him, https://bamchase.net/author/BAMMichael/? In one of his latest posts he states, "THERE ARE MANY KEY THINGS IN PLAY THAT COMPUTERS SIMPLY CANNOT SEE..IN MY LATEST LONG RANGE VIDEO LAST NIGHT I WENT INTO DETAIL ON WHY I KNOW DECEMBER WILL END UP COLD AND STORMY BY MID MONTH! FOLKS LOOK AT NOVEMBER FOR EXAMPLE..COMPUTERS SUGGESTED MAJOR WARMTH..WE PICKED UP 2.5″ OF SNOW AND WE WERE VERY COLD!" I don't subscribe to his blog so I am not sure what computers cannot see, but he (or others maybe) can. Thoughts?

If that was a concern of mine, I'd have moved years ago. Chicago is probably the 2 or 3rd coldest city in the country with more than 500,000 people.

Agree. It was -15 here last night and I stood in the drive for 30 min watching chimney smoke, star gazing, and enjoying the dead silence of a Winter night. 38 and rain just doesn't cut it for me, no matter how many dogs I had to walk.

Anybody know this meteorologist or have any opinions on him, https://bamchase.net/author/BAMMichael/? In one of his latest posts he states, "THERE ARE MANY KEY THINGS IN PLAY THAT COMPUTERS SIMPLY CANNOT SEE..IN MY LATEST LONG RANGE VIDEO LAST NIGHT I WENT INTO DETAIL ON WHY I KNOW DECEMBER WILL END UP COLD AND STORMY BY MID MONTH! FOLKS LOOK AT NOVEMBER FOR EXAMPLE..COMPUTERS SUGGESTED MAJOR WARMTH..WE PICKED UP 2.5″ OF SNOW AND WE WERE VERY COLD!" I don't subscribe to his blog so I am not sure what computers cannot see, but he (or others maybe) can. Thoughts?

This is the same guy who claimed a "big storm system" was in the works for last week on Facebook. Don't put much thought into it. He has a website and needs the subscriptions. One of those "I can tell you how much snow you will get with this storm... if you subscribe to my subscription!" Eh...

This is the same guy who claimed a "big storm system" was in the works for last week on Facebook. Don't put much thought into it. He has a website and needs the subscriptions. One of those "I can tell you how much snow you will get with this storm... if you subscribe to my subscription!" Eh...

I was afraid of that. Too bad. Thanks!

I watched JBs latest video on Weatherbell and he doesn't seem to think it will be as warm as the GFS is depicting for the 12th-17th of the month. I remember watching him back in December 2006 and how he was all over the torch that month, saying it would last until mid January. Essentially, he says the GFS forecasts don't make sense given that, at the same time, it's forecasting a typhoon to re-curve.

I watched JBs latest video on Weatherbell and he doesn't seem to think it will be as warm as the GFS is depicting for the 12th-17th of the month. I remember watching him back in December 2006 and how he was all over the torch that month, saying it would last until mid January. Essentially, he says the GFS forecasts don't make sense given that, at the same time, it's forecasting a typhoon to re-curve.

I don't think it will be quite that warm, but it will be warmer than what it takes to support snow for almost the entire lower 48 below 8000ft elevation.

I don't post much so you can take this with a grain of salt.  I mainly read and learn from everyone on here.  One thing that I have noticed about this guy is that he spends a LOT of time getting defensive about his forecasts and -it seems-having "fights" with himself on twitter.  I don't take him too serious-it seems more of a cult/club type group of people that follow him.

I don't post much so you can take this with a grain of salt.  I mainly read and learn from everyone on here.  One thing that I have noticed about this guy is that he spends a LOT of time getting defensive about his forecasts and -it seems-having "fights" with himself on twitter.  I don't take him too serious-it seems more of a cult/club type group of people that follow him.

Holy crap.

We share the same birthday. Same date and year.

It seems like models often rush pattern changes but in this case with the typhoon, maybe it won't be pushed back.  Regarding JB, I always wonder if he shapes his thoughts to try to fit the forecast (in this case, December) or believes what he's saying...

I think you know the answer

It seems like models often rush pattern changes but in this case with the typhoon, maybe it won't be pushed back.  Regarding JB, I always wonder if he shapes his thoughts to try to fit the forecast (in this case, December) or believes what he's saying...

yeah...I haven't read or listened to a JB forecast since it became for sale...but those that forecast for the masses have to do this to an extent.  Even the WPC forecasts frequently say that despite leaning towards a different solution in their longer range, they don't change much for continuality sake.  I know it's kind of apples and oranges...but that's my take on it...either way, I tend not to trust his forecasts too much when people post them for the reason you outlined...what is the derivative...but that's not a shot on his accuracy, because I don't know what his results have shone anyways

Archived