• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Oct 31 - Nov 1 Winter Wx Event Obs

Carvers Gap

Looks great John! First snow of the season and I have to miss it. Oh well hopefully there will be more-it's just not everyday a ULL from the arctic decides to travel directly overhead and lay down snow in E TN. Esp in Oct. May be a Long Long time before this happens again!

Just had a blinding snow shower, but it was only about 10 minutes long. I hope to see more filling as the low moves down, but right not not a ton is going on. JKL said their area may see lower snow totals if it didn't start soon. That said, they said the heaviest snow would come between 2 and 7 am across Eastern Kentucky. So I'd think that should mean 4-9 am here.

I just got back from Gatlinburg. The road to Rainbow Falls (Cherokee Orchard Rd) was in very bad shape with numerous trees down so as far as my car is concerned the trailhead wasn't accessible. Even if I got in, with the storm and winds rolling in, I probably wouldn't have gotten back out.

There was about 3-4" of snow with a full 1-2" already on the roads about a half mile from the trailhead as of 6AM. So, I'm pretty sure Leconte is getting nailed right now.

Plus with more trees and blowdowns to be expected - especially on the trail, it's not a fun day to hike.

I'm in my warm house now so it's no skin off my back.

Just got back from the skyway. I didn't make it all the way to the top (too dicey without AWD). I took a few pics at an overlook at 2597 FT. There was about 4 inches on the ground there, and it was still snowing. This area was protected from the wind, so I wasn't prepared for how much worse conditions got at the next overlook. I'm guessing it was around 3300 FT in elevation (couldn't read any of the signs due to hoar frost). Winds were blowing around 40 mph temp was 25 degrees, visibility was poor, and an accurate measurement of depth wasn't possible. Some areas had over a foot, some had none due to the wind. I decided not to proceed further in my car. TDOT had several plows out and about, but the roads were frozen above 3000 feet despite the salt. It was a really neat experience, and I'm glad I got up early to do it.

PA310174_zps7a385b84.jpg

PA310189_zps4657ad86.jpg

PA310183_zps1a5f34a6.jpg

PA310190_zps4ee0248e.jpg

PA310208_zps123ffd72.jpg

A quick video:

http://youtu.be/FEzfBgtFZ1o

Great pics, DW! Valkhorn, you takne any?

I follow GSMNP in Twitter. They are evacuating Elkmont and Cades Cove(tent) campgrounds due to danger of trees falling from the weight of snow. Multiple roads are blocked and a hiker at Ramsey Cascades has been injured from a falling tree. Has to be a wreck in there. The east/central mtns have been hammered...and it is only Nov 1st.

What is the average snow up there,anyone know?

GMSNP has a wide variation of snowfall averages.  Here is a great link.

I think I read on Twitter that Mt. LeConte is now at 22" for this event.  They normally average 100" or so per year.  Valkhorn may have more to add to that as he goes there often. 

Ended up with around an inch. Spent most of the night in a dry slot. Above 2500 feet did much better.

We had very little in Kingsport.  However, I can see Bays Mtn in my back yard.  It had snow about half way up.  It's base is about 1/2 mile from me.  Like I said earlier, this is all bonus snow.  Just amazing that for the second time in three years(Sandy), early snows have arrived around Halloween.  The one thing that does give me pause, early snows (to the best of my memory) often are precursors to very low snow totals for the winter here in NE TN.  After Sandy, there was just very little snow here in Kingsport - and we did not get much with that storm either.  Anytime we have to depend on a northwest flow here, we get shadowed.  We are on the west side of the valley, not the upslope.  That said, I do think this winter has a real chance to be a good one...

Archived