• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

On the bright side, with the snow season ending, the mountain convection season is about to begin. Duke U. still have one rain gauge on my mtn top to record rainfall there from the storms. Unfortunately, the data isn't online and somebody has to go up there every few months to download the data manually.  

That would be us UNCA students. Duke U., in partnership with UNCA's Atmospheric Sciences department, usually hire us to go on hikes across WNC to download these data to help NASA with a satellite project. Unfortunately, funding went dry so students had to take down a couple of gauges and not hike this semester. 

I'm not part of this project, as I'm involved in two different projects, but it wouldn't surprise me if my professor pair me up with Duke once we get funding again since someone got to replace graduating seniors.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be us UNCA students. Duke U., in partnership with UNCA's Atmospheric Sciences department, usually hire us to go on hikes across WNC to download these data to help NASA with a satellite project. Unfortunately, funding went dry so students had to take down a couple of gauges and not hike this semester. 

I'm not part of this project, as I'm involved in two different projects, but it wouldn't surprise me if my professor pair me up with Duke once we get funding again since someone got to replace graduating seniors.

Yes, my Duke U/NASA primary contact's funding ran out and now he has a new job elsewhere.  Hopefully, you will be the one to get to check on my gauge.  If so, please take pics and share; much appreciated.

yeah and it feels great out there today, perfect weather!

Yeah the weather has been perfect. Today especially with a bit of a breeze and just the perfect temp. I believe after this frost we go into a spring thread unless anyone objects. But looks like we are really heading out of the cold season and into a beautiful spring season.

Yeah the weather has been perfect. Today especially with a bit of a breeze and just the perfect temp. I believe after this frost we go into a spring thread unless anyone objects. But looks like we are really heading out of the cold season and into a beautiful spring season.

Who want to start the new thread? I got something neat to show y'all :)

Archived