SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ULL is heading into east TN shortly. The upslope hasn't let up on the NC/TN border across the Smoky Mountains since late this afternoon - and to think the snow isn't going to likely ramp up until the ULL arrives. I wouldn't be surprised if there's already 4-6" on the ground up there.

The ULL is heading into east TN shortly. The upslope hasn't let up on the NC/TN border across the Smoky Mountains since late this afternoon - and to think the snow isn't going to likely ramp up until the ULL arrives. I wouldn't be surprised if there's already 4-6" on the ground up there.

Yea, I think this has potential to overperform. We're getting some good rates in Asheville at the moment.

Yea, I think this has potential to overperform. We're getting some good rates in Asheville at the moment.

Exactly. I think I'm going to drive out there soon, possibly earlier than I thought because I'd like to get at least parked and up the mountain before the big wave hits. That may not be possible though. We will see. I'm going to wait another 2 hours then decide. The roads into Gatlinburg look fine right now.

Also the roads are covered but Jason Boyer just said Mt. Leconte has 16 inches at the top right know!

17" now and counting.

I attempted to make it to Rainbow Falls but Cherokee Orchard Rd was a mess and pretty much impassible as I got near the trailhead. Even if I got in there's the chance I couldn't get out. There's definitely snow at the bottom of the mountain - and it was 3-4" by the time I had to turn around (without really being able to see the edges of the road). If the road is that bad, the trail probably has more blowdowns than I can count so it's safer to stay at home.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm not risking life and limb (pun intended) for that.

17" now and counting.

I attempted to make it to Rainbow Falls but Cherokee Orchard Rd was a mess and pretty much impassible as I got near the trailhead. Even if I got in there's the chance I couldn't get out. There's definitely snow at the bottom of the mountain - and it was 3-4" by the time I had to turn around (without really being able to see the edges of the road). If the road is that bad, the trail probably has more blowdowns than I can count so it's safer to stay at home.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm not risking life and limb (pun intended) for that.

Lol man you got to take care of yourself. Just went out to take some pics and wow is it wicked. We have about 5 inches of snow on the ground and still hammering. The winds are sustained at about 20-30 mph and everything is covered even the main roads are. Still pouring the snow.

Archived