• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Hate to be the pessimist, but I can see how the GSP forecast could verify for the Asheville area. It really depends on when the energy transfer to the east happens. It will be an hour or two before we start to see some of the heavier returns. Hopefully we can get some good accumulation before that happens.

Really shouldn't be an energy transfer. This is straight Miller A. That said, if we can find a way here in Asheville to screw up a good snow storm, we will do it. Looks like the heaviest snow should be 9-1.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am watching radar and comparing to the HRRR. So far, it seems to me that the HRRR is far more aggressive than radar implies and by comparison to what's falling outside. Very small flakes here southwest of AVL. Small and quite infrequent despite radar returns suggesting otherwise. Unless the HRRR is catching onto something, radar and snow reports so far suggests this storm is not living up to the hype around here. I wont change snow amounts yet, but am considering dropping them if radar presentation doesn't improve over the next 2 hours.

I am watching radar and comparing to the HRRR. So far, it seems to me that the HRRR is far more aggressive than radar implies and by comparison to what's falling outside. Very small flakes here southwest of AVL. Small and quite infrequent despite radar returns suggesting otherwise. Unless the HRRR is catching onto something, radar and snow reports so far suggests this storm is not living up to the hype around here. I wont change snow amounts yet, but am considering dropping them if radar presentation doesn't improve over the next 2 hours.

The radar returns sure seem to be taking a beating when they enter North Carolina.

Frustrating.

same here. Radar looks good in GA and Ala.

Sleet in Asheville? Wow!

My guess it was graupel.  The soundings really do not support sleet.   Note also that much of the radar in Western NC in the mtns is at least partially beam blocked especially with low topped precipitation. That became extremely obvious when NASA setup a DOW near Canton and suddenly the local area lite up like a Christmas tree.

My guess it was graupel.  The soundings really do not support sleet.   Note also that much of the radar in Western NC in the mtns is at least partially beam blocked especially with low topped precipitation. That became extremely obvious when NASA setup a DOW near Canton and suddenly the local area lite up like a Christmas tree.

Yeah, it was graupel. Felt like sleet, but it's hard to see in the dark.

We're up to an inch here. Heavy, heavy flow of snow!

Archived