Weathernoob335
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been watching the waves of snow squalls come off the Plotts Balsams here:

http://www.saunookweather.com/wxwebcam.php

The Westerly flow, very steep lapse rates and intense vertical motion has carried the snowshowers right over the TN line without much attenuation for a change. The heaviest squall is arriving right now per radar.

(Off topic. Video I took of the St. Valentines Day Blizzard that I chased:

)
were you been Mike!

Met, snowed/frozen in here in Michigan.  What amazingly cold Winter this has turned into.  Almost unbearable here lately.  I don't think the roads up to my place on Mt. Lyn Lowry are passable at the present time but will be down when things warm up a bit. (New profile pic is of me chasing the St. Valentine's Day Blizzard)

Convective snow shower I drove through around UNC-A and Woodbine this afternoon around 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OfIfH-9BVg&feature=youtu.be

Awesome video! My old exit (#21) I lived about 1/2 mile past the interstate on New Stock Rd. The vid really highlights the difference when you climb the hill before the exit. A lot of memories out their for sure! Dec of 2003 that exit area had 7" while town had barely 1". Gotta love the Mnt. micro climates. Thanks again!

Awesome video! My old exit (#21) I lived about 1/2 mile past the interstate on New Stock Rd. The vid really highlights the difference when you climb the hill before the exit. A lot of memories out their for sure! Dec of 2003 that exit area had 7" while town had barely 1". Gotta love the Mnt. micro climates. Thanks again!

No problem Don! Glad I could provide a walk down memory lane.

Radar is exploding and we have moderate snow falling and laying on the roads at 12.4 degrees in Candler. Upstream looked awful a while ago but now looks great for the moment!

Your not gonna believe it folks but Graham County jackpots.. Northern part of county has 4 -6 inches..Southern areas 3 inches..I haven't made it up to the Cheroha Skyway (5300') but I'm hearing 8-10 inches with 18" drifts.

nice! This was more of a west wind but turning more nw know. I have seen graham county get some great snow especially over lake Fontana. I made some trips around the town and the most I saw was about 3 inches up in Maggie Valley. We have the exact same as Franklin does with 1 and a half inches and getting some nice bursts here as well with temp at 7 degrees. Also to note watch for winter weather watches to be issued tomorrow for the mountains. There are already watches over in Tennessee.

Don you need to come back!

nice! This was more of a west wind but turning more nw know. I have seen graham county get some great snow especially over lake Fontana. I made some trips around the town and the most I saw was about 3 inches up in Maggie Valley. We have the exact same as Franklin does with 1 and a half inches and getting some nice bursts here as well with temp at 7 degrees. Also to note watch for winter weather watches to be issued tomorrow for the mountains. There are already watches over in Tennessee.

I figured you would have 3-4 inches out of this. I know bryson city got close to 3.

I figured you would have 3-4 inches out of this. I know bryson city got close to 3.

we do much better with true NW flow. This flow was not good at all we had some good snow in the morning and early afternoon then we actually cleared up but tonight has been nice with some arctic snows. Y'all going to have school this week.

we do much better with true NW flow. This flow was not good at all we had some good snow in the morning and early afternoon then we actually cleared up but tonight has been nice with some arctic snows. Y'all going to have school this week.

they will probably go Friday with a 3 hour delay. It's cancelled again tomorrow.

Exactly the same here Met. NW, or even a north flow and we do well. Anything coming in west shuts me off. We also had some great squalls but sun in between.

Are you talking about watches that would be issued for the Fri. night storm? 

Exactly the same here Met. NW, or even a north flow and we do well. Anything coming in west shuts me off. We also had some great squalls but sun in between.

Are you talking about watches that would be issued for the Fri. night storm?

Yeah the band today was actually centered south of me. Lol just cut right to the south of me and I could see the band very well. Yeah I am talking about Friday night into Saturday.

Archived