SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to all you guys who cashed & provided pics or vid. Hope it's a early indicator of a snowy winter to come for you all. You know your off to a good start when guests from other sub forums are stopping buy. Keep up the good work fellas!

Thanks Don. Your pics and analysis will be missed a lot this winter. Yes it is way cool when we have people from all over the sub-forum making appearances and giving us props for this storm.

Thanks Don. Your pics and analysis will be missed a lot this winter. Yes it is way cool when we have people from all over the sub-forum making appearances and giving us props for this storm.

Pics will be missing but I'll still throw in my 2 cents worth.......even if it's only worth .5! :weenie:

I see you lurking Jason.....how did you do?

LeConte ended up with 22" inches and waist deep drifts...might have been the worst storm for them since Sandy...wow! Orographics combined with the ULL was quite the one...two punch.

Yep they had quite the storm up there. Shoot we ended up with right at 8.7 inches of snowfall with a low of 25 degrees this morning. Just beautiful with the snow everywhere. I forget it is November 2nd.

Pics will be missing but I'll still throw in my 2 cents worth.......even if it's only worth .5! :weenie:

I see you lurking Jason.....how did you do?

We will be looking forward to your expertise Don.  

Looking down the road things continue to look active with the pattern amplifying again toward the end of this week with another dip in the jet over the east. Looks like we could even be talking about some more snow coming for Friday possibly. Looking further down the road than that towards the middle to end of November the pattern seem to really get active with the PNA going positive and the AO possibly going negative and quite negative at that. Really with the way things are panning out we could have a very impressive winter on our hands for the mountains.

Looking down the road things continue to look active with the pattern amplifying again toward the end of this week with another dip in the jet over the east. Looks like we could even be talking about some more snow coming for Friday possibly. Looking further down the road than that towards the middle to end of November the pattern seem to really get active with the PNA going positive and the AO possibly going negative and quite negative at that. Really with the way things are panning out we could have a very impressive winter on our hands for the mountains.

Yeah Met, I mentioned this look on the previous page (must of got lost in discussion) but nonetheless impressive.  Euro ensemble has 27/50 members at KAVL with accumulation on the night of the 7th.  At the least this looks to be a decent NWF event.  Hopefully this is a re-occurring theme throughout winter.

Nice pic Blue.

Euro ensemble has 27/50 members with accumulating snowfall for KAVL on the night of the 7th. Looks like a decent shot at some NWFS. Winter is here my mountain peeps! GFS showing a similar look but is more progressive and brings it on the 6th.

GFS also showing 1-2" of rain on Thursday now, followed by a brief window of a few snow showers very early Friday morning. Shouldn't amount to much...but yes...winter has arrived! Buckle up. It's going to be a brutal winter around WNC I think.

Morning captures courtesy of Kenny at Appnet Resortcams.com

Nice to see the peaks covered by snow on November 2

Grandfather Mountain viewed from Echota

7pLoHNO.jpg

RUdz1Da.jpg

S8j8fSE.jpg

Beech Mountain

RgJu2gg.jpg

I love winter in the NC Mountains. Few things can come close to the beauty of our snow covered countryside and peaks in the winter.

NC Mountains Snow Totals Summary courtesy of raysweather.com

Snow Reports from Saturday 01NOV14

Alleghany CountyEnnice 2"; Glade Valley 4"; Laurel Springs 6"; Sparta 4" 

Avery County: Banner Elk 5"; Beech Mtn 8.5"; Linville 3"; Jonas Ridge 1" 

Ashe CountyCreston 2.5"; Fleetwood 4.5"; Grassy Creek 2"; Lansing 3.5"; 
Laurel Springs 4.5"; Todd 4"; West Jefferson 5.3" 

Buncombe County: Arden 6"; Asheville 3"-6"; Fairview 3-6"; 
Riceville 7"; Swannanoa 4"-6"; Weaverville 6"-7" 

Grayson County, VA: Independence 2"-4"; Elk Creek 4"; 
Galax 3.8"; Laurel Valley 5" 

Haywood County: Clyde 3"; Luck 18"; Maggie Valley 8"; Upper Crabtree 3-4";
Upper Fines Creek 6-8"; Waynesville 3" 

Henderson CountyHendersonville 2"-5.5"; Flat Rock 3"; Tuxedo 5" 

Madison County: Hot Springs 8"; Mars Hill 7"; Marshall 6"-7"; Spring Creek 22" 

Mitchell CountyBuladean 5" 

Watauga CountyBethel 5"; Blowing Rock 3"; Boone 3-4"; 
Deep Gap 5"; Hound Ears 3"; Rich Mtn 13"; Seven Devils 4";
Sugar Grove 5-6"; Valle Crucis 4-5"; Zionville 6" 

Note nearly two feet of snow at highest elevations along the NC/TN line from Madison County to the Smokies!

NC Mountains Snow Totals Summary courtesy of raysweather.com

Snow Reports from Saturday 01NOV14[/size]

Alleghany County: [/size]Ennice[/size] 2"; Glade Valley 4"; Laurel Springs 6"; Sparta 4" [/size]

Avery County: Banner Elk 5"; Beech [/size]Mtn[/size] 8.5"; [/size]Linville[/size] 3"; Jonas Ridge 1" [/size]

Ashe County: [/size]Creston[/size] 2.5"; [/size]Fleetwood[/size] 4.5"; Grassy Creek 2"; Lansing 3.5"; [/size]Laurel Springs 4.5"; Todd 4"; West Jefferson 5.3" [/size]

Buncombe County: Arden 6"; [/size]Asheville[/size] 3"-6"; [/size]Fairview[/size] 3-6"; [/size]Riceville 7"; [/size]Swannanoa[/size] 4"-6"; [/size]Weaverville[/size] 6"-7" [/size]

Grayson County, VA: Independence 2"-4"; Elk Creek 4"; [/size]Galax 3.8"; Laurel Valley 5" [/size]

Haywood County: Clyde 3"; Luck 18"; Maggie Valley 8"; Upper [/size]Crabtree[/size] 3-4";[/size]Upper Fines Creek 6-8"; [/size]Waynesville[/size] 3" [/size]

Henderson County: [/size]Hendersonville[/size] 2"-5.5"; Flat Rock 3"; Tuxedo 5" [/size]

Madison County: Hot Springs 8"; Mars Hill 7"; Marshall 6"-7"; Spring Creek 22" [/size]

Mitchell County: [/size]Buladean[/size] 5" [/size]

Watauga County: [/size]Bethel[/size] 5"; Blowing Rock 3"; Boone 3-4"; [/size]Deep Gap 5"; Hound Ears 3"; Rich [/size]Mtn[/size] 13"; Seven Devils 4";[/size]Sugar Grove 5-6"; Valle [/size]Crucis[/size] 4-5"; [/size]Zionville[/size] 6" [/size]

Note nearly two feet of snow at highest elevations along the NC/TN line from Madison County to the Smokies![/size]

Is there a total for Snake Mtn in watagua county by chance? Thanks!

Archived