Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok it is time to take this threat serious as we head into Halloween and the 1st of November!

Its time!!  Nam, GFS, and Euro all on board for flakes lets hope it holds and we cash in early to get this winter started off right!

Plumes think we could get some accumulation even down at the airport.  This one should be all fun no matter what we get considering how early in the season it is!

t68rpx.jpg

Here is a few words from GSP. The Euro and the GFS and every other model has us getting some sort of snowfall going into Halloween night through Saturday.

THURSDAY...NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.
..FRIDAY...NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.
..SATURDAY...HIGH WINDS AND LIGHT SNOW POSSIBLE. THE PASSAGE OF A
STRONG COLD FRONT COMBINED WITH DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM
ALONG THE CAROLINA COAST WILL PRODUCE STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS AND
THE FIRST ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON ACROSS PORTIONS OF
THE NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS. SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW
ARE POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGH ELEVATIONS NEAR THE
TENNESSEE BORDER.

This is really looking like a nice early treat for us. I'm looking for maybe 6 to 8 here if I get lucky. Let the season begin!

I think that is entirely possible!

Looking at the GFS we could get some heavy squalls of snow in here starting around midnight or sooner with snowfall along the TN/NC boarder through the day on Saturday into Saturday night.

Yep not much sleep for me tomorrow night ha.  I wouldn't miss a flake for the world!

This is really looking like a nice early treat for us. I'm looking for maybe 6 to 8 here if I get lucky. Let the season begin!

Yes it does, For the first real chance for snow this has been one of the best possible solutions we can start the season with. The flow looks awesome really.

I'll take my camera. I'm heading up to Mt Leconte on Saturday. I've got the crampons and gaiters ready.

I expect picks man. Going to be epic up there.

Yes it does, For the first real chance for snow this has been one of the best possible solutions we can start the season with. The flow looks awesome really.

I expect picks man. Going to be epic up there.

You'll get pics even if you have to wait until I get home. I'm glad I just checked my crampons and they were borken thanks to my trip up a week after Hurricane Sandy. The AT is unforgiving on YakTrax. I upgraded to Katoola Microspikes. I can't wait to try them out.

EDIT: I've got all my rain gear ready, too. The wonderful thing about Leconte this time of year is that the dining hall remains open, and is usually heated by propane.

You'll get pics even if you have to wait until I get home. I'm glad I just checked my crampons and they were borken thanks to my trip up a week after Hurricane Sandy. The AT is unforgiving on YakTrax. I upgraded to Katoola Microspikes. I can't wait to try them out.

EDIT: I've got all my rain gear ready, too. The wonderful thing about Leconte this time of year is that the dining hall remains open, and is usually heated by propane.

Very nice. Just the talk of this event is getting me hankering for snowfall. Cannot wait to post pics of the squalls coming in with the winds roaring. Saturday morning wind chills are going to be brutal! Wind chills in the low to mid teens with the winds roaring. Awesomeness!

I'm down to two locations for chase: Newfound Gap of Smokies or Carvers Gap of Roan Mountain.

Tough choice.

441 likely closes at the drop of a hat whenever there's snow and ice. Just an FYI. If you're willing to walk you can always go to Cosby or Big Creek campground and hike a few miles to the AT. But I wouldn't reccommend that if you're at all an inexperienced hiker or plan to hike in the snow in blue jeans.

441 likely closes at the drop of a hat whenever there's snow and ice. Just an FYI. If you're willing to walk you can always go to Cosby or Big Creek campground and hike a few miles to the AT. But I wouldn't reccommend that if you're at all an inexperienced hiker or plan to hike in the snow in blue jeans.

In that case, I guess Roan Mountain could be better. I can hike, but me and my buddy are planning to see flakes and that'll mostly happen in dark. He like Gatlinburg area, but I'm not really sure how I feel about that town and roads around it due to elevation. Just because models are showing something for Gatlinburg doesn't mean it'll fall all the way to town itself. Thoughts?

In that case, I guess Roan Mountain could be better. I can hike, but me and my buddy are planning to see flakes and that'll mostly happen in dark. He like Gatlinburg area, but I'm not really sure how I feel about that town and roads around it due to elevation. Just because models are showing something for Gatlinburg doesn't mean it'll fall all the way to town itself. Thoughts?

Roan Mtn. I live near by. Get up Sat. morning at 4 AM. Take 26 N to the 19E Burnsville exit. In Burnsville take 197N to Red Hill. Take a right on 226 S to Bakersville. Stop at Helen's and get a sausage biscuit. Then left on 261N to Roan Mtn. Hike the the blue trail from the parking lot. Enjoy the hammer time that you'll experience. Return home, stopping in Weaverville for some lasagna at the Twisted Laurel. Post a thank you to Snojoe for recommending an epic trip. 

Roan Mtn. I live near by. Get up Sat. morning at 4 AM. Take 26 N to the 19E Burnsville exit. In Burnsville take 197N to Red Hill. Take a right on 226 S to Bakersville. Stop at Helen's and get a sausage biscuit. Then left on 261N to Roan Mtn. Hike the the blue trail from the parking lot. Enjoy the hammer time that you'll experience. Return home, stopping in Weaverville for some lasagna at the Twisted Laurel. Post a thank you to Snojoe for recommending an epic trip. 

HAHAHA just laughed out loud three times Joe.  Glad winter is back, hope you are making a trip to Billagio's and the alphabet store for this one.  Roan mountain would be the best bet for this storm.  I wouldn't bother with the gorge or anything near Gatlinburg.  Will be tourist city and no fun for snow chasers.  Thanks for the laugh.

Haha, thanks for the laugh :) Sounds like the best day ever is coming up!

Archived