SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2014

Rtd208

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of our storms the last several winters have come from less than perfect setups. The fact that this "storm" is coming and going on models leads us to believe that there is a chance of it happening. Significant storms in general are always unlikely anyway. If they weren't, they wouldn't be "significant"

We will need to pull an 11-29-95 for the first low to produce. That early week cutter must

cool us down enough behind the front so the the first coastal can tap cold enough air for snow.

It needs to go perfectly without blocking just like late November 1995.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1995/us1129.php

I'm not even looking at the NAO for me it's not that relevant

I am focused on the ridge axis and timing.

The models are going to need a few days to figure out wave separation and orientation . I think the frontal passage comes thru and stops. For me can the back side energy catch the southern stream. That's just timing and ridge position IMO.

I like the pattern. it doesn't have to snow but I will b surprised if it doesn't .

After that week 1 in Dec. Shirt sleeves up. The MJO will win out for a week or so.

The models are going to need a few days to figure out wave separation and orientation . I think the frontal passage comes thru and stops. For me can the back side energy catch the southern stream. That's just timing and ridge position IMO.

I like the pattern. it doesn't have to snow but I will b surprised if it doesn't .

After that week 1 in Dec. Shirt sleeves up. The MJO will win out for a week or so.

The chance is there for at least some measurable snow before the pattern moderates for the first week of December.

Much better to get the warmer readings with less blocking early in December when the typical snowfall

is lowest. December 19-31 has been the best time for significant snow events.

exactly good post - last year it was the persistent cold enough air when the storms came through with not much blocking at times

We will need to pull an 11-29-95 for the first low to produce. That early week cutter must

cool us down enough behind the front so the the first coastal can tap cold enough air for snow.

It needs to go perfectly without blocking just like late November 1995.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1995/us1129.php

The NAO was negative there, albeit very east based but better probably than what we'll have here.  I don't have the link for daily indices but thats a strong looking negative east based NAO with that low by the Azores, that may be a -1.5 - 2.0 or so.

141122021154.gif

The NAO was negative there, albeit very east based but better probably than what we'll have here.  I don't have the link for daily indices but thats a strong looking negative east based NAO with that low by the Azores, that may be a -1.5 - 2.0 or so.

141122021154.gif

the nao was pretty negative that month...

1995 11 25 -0.4621995 11 26 -0.5751995 11 27 -0.9341995 11 28 -0.7971995 11 29 -0.7591995 11 30 -0.6621995 12  1 -0.600

ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cwlinks/

was down to 23 now up to 26. I think the warm front came in. The one that broke down the western New York (south buffalo snow). From now until Tuesday afternoon it'll only warm. But nights are longer now so there's limited warmth and this is why I think that the Mondays system will be a more passive storm (faster but a bigger rainfall), with the potential system sneaking up on the east coast by Wednesday after the cold front has came in resulting frozen precipitation.

Archived