• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Historic Lake Effect Snowstorm

86.5 inches.

Now that is a nice value. Jealous am I. I will be coming back to Buffalo this weekend to visit family so will get to see some of it. Hopefully we can get some good snows down here in Lancaster PA this winter. TY for all the posts and images/videos from a historic snow event.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I am in Antarctica. I honestly cannot put into words what is happening outside right now. I will try my best. My backyard is an acre so I will try to get a few spots and measure the depth.

Just incredible living this vicariously from you, and with your excellent reporting and videography of the ongoing storm you my Buffalo soldier friend are a godsend for information

Just incredible living this vicariously from you, and with your excellent reporting and videography of the ongoing storm you my Buffalo soldier friend are a godsend for information

Thanks for that Ginxy. This has been more work than my normal job. ^_^

I just know I will want to look back at this thread for decades to come. To show my kids! I will never forget this!

Thank you to all who have posted pics and vids!  Stay safe.  Looks like the NHL beat the NFL to cancel games.  Sabers v. Rangers game for tomorrow is postponed.  Bill are not playing Sunday...Still working on when and where.  As a plow company owner in Syracuse I can say I am glad it did not happen here. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=740164&navid=nhl:topheads

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000431376/article/jetsbills-game-will-not-be-played-sunday-in-buffalo

Enjoy this and soak it up!!! It's a once in a lifetime situation possibly. I'd be lying if I said I was not jealous.....very jealous, knowing that in just 2 hours you are accumulating snow amounts which would equal a major snowstorm here along I-95 (oh, plus another 6 feet in addition to that) ;) I've been following this storm and it's just incredible. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the most disastrous solution seems to have been avoided (4 feet of snow on top of the 6 feet of snow), which is the same area "jackpotting" from both events. This one clearly favors areas a bit further south and and not the area just north of Lackawanna and West Seneca which the first one favored. However, in this case "not favoring" means only getting 2 feet as opposed to 3-4 ;)

Yup, I'll hit 90. Won't get 100.

you can see how the flow is affecting the trajectory for you negatively now. The more established band (affected by higher level flow) is still moving northeast but lighter echos like the ones north of it over the lake and near st catherines are moving almost due east, some even southeast.

I would expect up to 5" additional though possibly. I mean, 5" must seem like nothing now.

What are the expectations and the planning for the meltdown phase on Sunday-Monday ?

Obviously 6-10 feet of snow can't all melt in two days but huge urban ponding and roof stress issues must be expected. Has there been any co-ordination between NY state and Ontario that might bring in un-needed snow clearance equipment from the Toronto region? This might give your people a better chance to get into the worst areas, let the outsiders handle the easy stuff around the 1-2 ft margins (which is what they might be used to seeing anyway).

I mention these issues because time is of the essence, by the time this squall band shifts south on Friday, there will be about 48h left for operations and planning ahead of this rather prodigious melt.

Actually, my totals would be more inflated if I took them every 6 hours due to blowing and drifting. I will try to grab a depth measurement when the band drifts south.

East Aurora reported 60 at 1050 am, Duck Lake in Cayuga county has a 75 inch depth ( not all related) but still

It has to be almost impossible to measure under these conditions. If you live in a major LES belt and are serious about snow observing the best bet probably is to have dual concentric snow fences to cut down on the blowing and drifting snow like this:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grr/snowsensor/

That would likely help with the BL/DR SN filling in your cleared measuring area in the center.

Edit...of course that does little good when the depth eclipses the top of the fences. :lol:

I'm going to be on TV I believe on this news station in a few minutes. Have been in contact with them all day.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Watch-NBC-Connecticuts-Newscasts-129162318.html

At 6 pm.

That's awesome. Tuned in right now. 

86.5"... that's 6.5" more than I had last winter!  :D

Band shifted south, but still cranking away. 40 dbz "cells" off shore.

BUF.N0Q.20141120.2256.gif

86.5 inches.

Buffalo Weather,  is that your total from both storms using measuring every 2 hours?   It will be really interesting if once this is all over to try to venture out to a flat non obstructed area to get a "how much on the ground" measurement.   Can't wait for daylight pictures tomorrow. Hamburg is right on the edge now!!

It has to be almost impossible to measure under these conditions. If you live in a major LES belt and are serious about snow observing the best bet probably is to have dual concentric snow fences to cut down on the blowing and drifting snow like this:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grr/snowsensor/

That would likely help with the BL/DR SN filling in your cleared measuring area in the center.

Edit...of course that does little good when the depth eclipses the top of the fences. :lol:

That is awesome, but it would seem that it would still drift in those places through the cracks.

Buffalo Weather,  is that your total from both storms using measuring every 2 hours?   It will be really interesting if once this is all over to try to venture out to a flat non obstructed area to get a "how much on the ground" measurement.   Can't wait for daylight pictures tomorrow. Hamburg is right on the edge now!!

I will be going out soon after dinner to take a depth measurement.

<<Tug Hill folks clearing throats>> Feb. '07??? ;)

But that's just us being very jealous right now!!!  Certainly a once in a lifetime event....or hopefully not!!! :)

Enjoy!  Soak it up!

Given the forecast for this upcoming Monday, that is a very fitting expression. ^_^

Seriously, though, flooding could become a major issue.

Archived