• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Historic Lake Effect Snowstorm

Well, I saw that photo floating around elsewhere, and it didn't look legit because of the depth, and surrounding vegetation. Did a reverse lookup (or whatever it's called) and found the photo source. I think most/all the other photos are probably legit and he's doing a great job compiling and sharing for all to see! I'm from Buffalo (parents still live there, but north of downtown) and I've been watching this event very closely. Incredible stuff. 

Why would someone post fake pictures on this board and claim this from lake effect.

Wonder how may other fakes photos are out there too now. Question the snow fall numers for being inflated?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you think so? Hires was pretty adament with this dropping south soon a few hrs ago.

Well, for Hamburg, Eden areas, I think so....we may see a little southward jog for a bit (like now), but it may stall or "wiggle" back north a bit early this evening....then I think the push to the south will occur around 9pm or so....

Well, for Hamburg, Eden areas, I think so....we may see a little southward jog for a bit (like now), but it may stall or "wiggle" back north a bit early this evening....then I think the push to the south will occur around 9pm or so....

One does not simply question the Lake Effect King in regards to Lake Effect. He is the King of this topic. ^_^

There is a reason why your name is LEK. I concede any argument, but looking at everything it might be close to done in an hour or two just south of Buffalo in the suburbs like Hamburg

It looks downstream towards Cleveland that the flow is becoming more westerly, so the band near Buffalo now may shift south to northern Cattaraugus/Chautaqua in the next few hours. But I can't imagine how fast the snow must be piling up under that band-once in State College I was under the remnants of a Lake Huron/Erie band for a couple of hours and was amazed at how fast and heavy the snow was. I can't imagine what 18 hours of it must be like.

Why would someone post fake pictures on this board and claim this from lake effect.

Wonder how may other fakes photos are out there too now. Question the snow fall numers for being inflated?

It was an accident, stuff happens.  From what I understand a major news outlet was also sharing that photo as if it was from this event.  Its pretty clear from the Thruway webcams alone how major this event is and they can fake those shots.   

Do we have any reliable snowfall totals for round 2?    I'm lurking from NH so don't know your suburbs.  Obviously the same general area is getting hit.  Were those 60" plus totals for round one in Hamburg or further north.

Looking down wind the north edge of the line over the lake does seem to be shifting south a bit.   Anymore reports of roof damages the past couple of hours.  This is the time I would think they really would be scaling up but haven't seen anything on this thread the past 2 hours since the nursing home incident.

It was an accident, stuff happens. From what I understand a major news outlet was also sharing that photo as if it was from this event. Its pretty clear from the Thruway webcams alone how major this event is and they can fake those shots.

Google reverse image search makes those easy to detect.

Hope people are measuring every 6 hours, clearing the measuring board and doing it 6 hours later.  That is the official way the NWS does it.  Measuring every 2 hours is going to give you inflated totals because there is no compaction.  With 25-25mph winds coming off the lake you really have to be away from structures with blowing and drifting too.  Makes it really difficult when you have many feet of snow on the ground.  Looking forward to seeing the new totals and total snow from both storms.

Still snowing heavily at exit 56 blasdell. Although the webcam has had breaks of sun. Exit 57 to 58 have been getting crushed all day. Traffic cams at 59 and 60 are showing increasing snowfall rates as the band gets closer to them. Matching up well with radar. Interior southern erie county is still very much under the gun for several hours. Lackawanna/Cheektowaga/Depew/Lancaster look to be out of the worst. Blasdell is still getting pounded south of there and down into Hamburg and that should continue for a couple hours. Eden/Boston/Springville/Gowanda are heading into the crosshairs if not already there.

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT THE AREA...

* AT 351 PM EST...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO WAS

TRACKING A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND CAPABLE OF PRODUCING SNOWFALL

RATES OF 4 INCHES PER HOUR OR MORE...AND VISIBILITY NEAR ZERO AT

TIMES. THIS LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND WAS LOCATED ALONG THE

LAKE ERIE SHORELINE OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY NORTHEAST ACROSS THE

BOSTON HILLS AND SOUTHTOWNS...INTO WESTERN WYOMING COUNTY.

* SOME LOCATIONS AFFECTED BY THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND INCLUDE...

BOSTON AND WEST FALLS...

COLDEN...WALES...EAST AURORA...

LACKAWANNA...ORCHARD PARK...HAMBURG...

ELMA...WEST SENECA...ALDEN...

BENNINGTON AND ATTICA...

VARYSBURG...HOLLAND AND MARILLA...DERBY AND LAKE VIEW...

Hope people are measuring every 6 hours, clearing the measuring board and doing it 6 hours later.  That is the official way the NWS does it.  Measuring every 2 hours is going to give you inflated totals because there is no compaction.  With 25-25mph winds coming off the lake you really have to be away from structures with blowing and drifting too.  Makes it really difficult when you have many feet of snow on the ground.  Looking forward to seeing the new totals and total snow from both storms.

This was touched on a couple of times earlier in the thread.  I believe he is taking the shorter term measurements, without clearing the board, simply to get the snowfall rates.  

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT THE AREA...* AT 351 PM EST...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO WAS  TRACKING A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND CAPABLE OF PRODUCING SNOWFALL  RATES OF 4 INCHES PER HOUR OR MORE...AND VISIBILITY NEAR ZERO AT  TIMES. THIS LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND WAS LOCATED ALONG THE  LAKE ERIE SHORELINE OF CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY NORTHEAST ACROSS THE  BOSTON HILLS AND SOUTHTOWNS...INTO WESTERN WYOMING COUNTY.* SOME LOCATIONS AFFECTED BY THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND INCLUDE...  BOSTON AND WEST FALLS...  COLDEN...WALES...EAST AURORA...  LACKAWANNA...ORCHARD PARK...HAMBURG...  ELMA...WEST SENECA...ALDEN...  BENNINGTON AND ATTICA...  VARYSBURG...HOLLAND AND MARILLA...DERBY AND LAKE VIEW...

Looks like we lost exit 57's camera. Blasdell's is heading in and out of bursts of heavy snow.

57 is back

Archived