Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Historic Lake Effect Snowstorm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wind is making it tough to accurately measure - but estimating 7 inches since snow first started around 10 PM with about 4 inches in last couple hours.  Easily over a foot now for the week.  Paltry by comparison, but I'll take it.  

Good thing is we don't have to deal with the flooding unlike Buffaloweather lol :snowing:

..LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT AREAS EAST AND SOUTHEAST

OF THE BUFFALO METRO AREA...THE HARD HIT SOUTHTOWNS...THE LAKE ERIE

SHORELINE PARTS OF GENESEE AND WYOMING COUNTIES....

* AT 525 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND CAPABLE OF PRODUCING SNOWFALL RATES OF 3

INCHES PER HOUR OR MORE...AND VISIBILITY NEAR ZERO AT TIMES.

THIS LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND WAS LOCATED ALONG THE

SHORELINE...ACROSS THE SOUTHTOWNS..AND INTO GENESEE COUNTY.

* SOME LOCATIONS AFFECTED BY THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND INCLUDE...

ANGOLA ON THE LAKE AND EVANS...

DERBY AND NORTH COLLINS...

NORTH BOSTON AND EDEN...

HAMBURG...ORCHARD PARK...ELMA...AND EAST AURORA...

LACKAWANNA...WEST SENECA...LANCASTER...ALDEN AND MARILLA...

BATAVIA...DARIEN...AND CORFU...

BENNINGTON AND ATTICA...

THIS INCLUDES THE NEW YORK THRUWAY BETWEEN EXITS 48 AND 60.

* LIGHTNING AND A FEW RUMBLES OF THUNDER WILL BE POSSIBLE.

I think I am going to start taking measurements every 2 hours. My last one was at 2:30 at 5.5 inches for round 2. I might head out at 5:30 and take a measurement and clear the board.

Just don't clear more frequently than once every 6 hrs. We don't want your totals nullified. ;)

I know round 2 was intense but I think from Hamburg to East Aurora northward are done with the snow besides some light snow showers and they aren't gonna see close to 2 or 3 feet which is honestly great news. The band is probably gonna sit over the Boston hills for a few more hours before dropping even further south over ski country. The hardest hit areas from round 1 definitley "dodged a bullet" so to speak from round 2.

Just don't clear more frequently than once every 6 hrs. We don't want your totals nullified. ;)

Yes....6 hours is the minimum to qualify as "official" "snowfall".....Now, measuring for rates....you can measure any time interval...but know that 4" in 20 min. means 4" in 20 min....not 12"/hr....rates CANNOT be extrapolated at all to other time intervals. 

Back in the 90's, I helped KBUF with a snowfall measurement study during an intense event over Parish....had 21 measuring boards (measuring at 1, 3, 6, 12 hour intervals and total (no board clearing) at various boards)...in a nice secluded (almost windless) area.  The amount this stuff settles, even during short periods, is pretty amazing, esp. when there is multiple feet of fresh snow on the ground...I once had a "settling rate" of 2.5" per hour of the entire snow pack!!!!  The drier the snow (highest ratios) the faster it settles, during extreme events (even without wind).

Archived