Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Lake Effect Snowstorm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ayuud, how much have you seen thus far? are you in it? or too far north. this storm is a tale of two cities man, south buf buried, north buf, nada. someone like me (maybe you) has got to be going absolutely crazy with this north cut off.

Only 3" here in the west side, only time the band reached my area was yesterday evening when it got started. Huge gradient once you go past Rt.33

Just plain beautiful.

10420227_10154853079790387_5529772580874

you cant even know how jealous I am. living in north rochester, we dont really have the environmental capacity for a storm of that nature. Yes, we could one day get a 3 foot noreaster with lake enhancement, but never a 5 foot pure lake thing. enjoy it. take us some more pics. how about a video?

you cant even know how jealous I am. living in north rochester, we dont really have the environmental capacity for a storm of that nature. Yes, we could one day get a 3 foot noreaster with lake enhancement, but never a 5 foot pure lake thing. enjoy it. take us some more pics. how about a video?

Go through the pages man, I'm all videoed/pictured out for today. =)

Just plain beautiful.

10420227_10154853079790387_5529772580874

That's an epic/awesome pic!

Spent a lot of time in this thread today. Lot of time at work watching this event!  :lol:

Can't wait to see the pictures come morning. Not sure where you're going to start digging out, but best of luck to you!

217 post today, not bad! :snowing:

Ayuud - you're pictures have been epic today as well!

well, hopefully we will all have OUR opportunity this winter. Glad for the folks in souther erie cnty for getting what is probably the storm of their life time. I considered driving there several times. But my old and silly saab gets terrible traction and i would of ended up being a liability for the emergency responders. Not something I need on my conscience. LOL. radar returns are still relentless for just south of the city. I wouldn't be surprised if we break some serious US records with this little storm.

This storm deserves a WOW. Having chased lake storms of L. Ontario during my time at Syracuse from 03-07 including the Oswego/Fulton storm of 04 and Parish in 07, this storm is truly something special.  I'm so jealous of all you up there and hope everyone in the area gets in on the action over the next few days! Keep the photos coming!

You guys who missed out seem to be pretty mature about it, unlike us "southerners," when we are on a far more forgiving cut off. I guess chalk it up to snow deprivation making us crazy most of the time.

Southtowns/South Buffalo are so much more likely to get a big event that if you choose to live north of the 190, you know you're giving up a significant chunk of annual snowfall at your house. I love snow, but I'm not going to sign up for a way longer commute to get more opportunities for winter weather. And even though I live in a part of town somewhat shielded from LES, I'll still see more snow in the world winters here than I saw in most of the best winters in the NYC area. So missing out on this hurts, but I'll see lots of snow eventually. Not like that in the south, where missing out on a couple events might allow you to get only a trace all winter.

Southtowns/South Buffalo are so much more likely to get a big event that if you choose to live north of the 190, you know you're giving up a significant chunk of annual snowfall at your house. I love snow, but I'm not going to sign up for a way longer commute to get more opportunities for winter weather. And even though I live in a part of town somewhat shielded from LES, I'll still see more snow in the world winters here than I saw in most of the best winters in the NYC area. So missing out on this hurts, but I'll see lots of snow eventually. Not like that in the south, where missing out on a couple events might allow you to get only a trace all winter.

It used to crush me as a kid when I'd walk out of my house in South Buffalo and see the storm clouds to the south and wonder what could have been! But, as an adult, I totally get what you are saying. And you're right, even removed from the heart of the snowbelt, you still see more snow than I do on a yearly basis!

After drifting south for a bit, looks like the band is moving back north again. You can see that trend on Cleveland radar as well.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the posters for pictures, videos, etc. I should have some good ones to post tomorrow once my family in South Buffalo starts the process of digging out!

So what sort of nightmare would this have been if this band set up at 1pm on a Sunday, and the Bills were playing? Can you play a football game in 4 inch per hour snow? No one would have been able to get home as there would already be a foot of snow by the time the game was over. Do the bills have a home game this weekend?

I just checked...they do. I wonder what the procedure is to remove possibly 8 feet of snow from the stands.

Archived