B2vH_QGCQAA9iPx.jpg

West Seneca

B2u8iXrCQAAuGiB.jpg

Depew firefighter using snowmobile on transit rd

B2u0xOvIIAAUJnI.jpg

B2uyY47IEAAO0O4.jpg

Tale of two worlds: N.Buffalo vs S.Buffalo

24lpmk2.png

Yup, that's it I'm moving out there!!  You've all ruined me now.  Our 1 to 2 foot snow storms that we get a few times every winter here in far northern Maine will pale in comparison. lol.  :mapsnow:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the 4+ rates continue.

...INTENSE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT THE SOUTHERNHALF OF THE BUFFALO METRO AREA...* AT 1200 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A  LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND CAPABLE OF PRODUCING SNOWFALL RATES OF 4  INCHES PER HOUR OR MORE...AND VISIBILITY NEAR ZERO AT TIMES. THE  SHARP NORTHERN EDGE OF THIS LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND EXTENDS FROM  SOUTH BUFFALO TO DEPEW AND EASTWARD TOWARDS DARIEN AND ALEXANDER.  THE SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE BAND IS HUGGING THE CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY  SHORELINE THEN EXTENDING INLAND ACROSS FAR NORTHERN CHAUTAUQUA  COUNTY...THE BOSTON HILLS...AND WYOMING COUNTY.TRAVEL WITHIN THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THIS BAND FROM SOUTHBUFFALO INTO THE NEARBY SOUTHERN AND EASTERN SUBURBS IS IMPOSSIBLE.LOCAL OFFICIALS REPORT ALL ROADS ARE IMPASSABLE AND CLOGGED WITHSNOW AND STUCK VEHICLES. DO NOT VENTURE OUT WITHIN THIS AREA. IF YOULIVE NORTH OR SOUTH OF THE BAND OF SNOW DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE INTOTHE AFFECTED AREAS...YOU WILL BECOME TRAPPED.

The only downer is that this won't set any official records for KBUF because the airport isn't in the heaviest part of the band.

ha ha.  Yup, duly noted.  Have read that you can walk in the parks during January in just a sweatshirt sometimes; that is something I am looking forward to as our winters are severe.  We may not receive 2-4 feet in one storm, but we do average 110 to 140 inches of snow each and every winter and 30 below or colder is not uncommon in the dead of winter.  I've lived up here for 30 years and can tell you that, strangely, those types of winters have gotten kind of old.  Looking forward to actually having all four seasons most years & the chance to see the majesty of lake effect snows in the winter.  

NOUS41 KBUF 181657
PNSBUF
NYZ001>008-010>014-019>021-085-190457-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
1157 AM EST TUE NOV 18 2014

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

WEST SENECA           45.0  1141 AM 11/18  SOCIAL MEDIA
LANCASTER               42.0   900 AM 11/18  NWS EMPLOYEE

**********************24 HOUR SNOWFALL**********************

ALDEN                             48.0  1100 AM 11/18  AMATEUR RADIO
LANCASTER                    48.0  1015 AM 11/18  AMATEUR RADIO
1 S EAST LANCASTER    42.0  1000 AM 11/18  NEAR COMO PARK

All these reports are 1+ hour old now, so have to be places over 50" now. Rates intensifying again per radar

Not sure out that way....I'm north of SYR, but these early SW flow events always let the L. Ontario "folks" know that L. Erie is a formidable challenger when it comes to insane rates!!!

KART is getting slammed right now...KART 181756Z AUTO 23027G36KT M1/4SM +SN BKN008 OVC020 M04/M08 A2969 RMK AO2 PK WND 22040/1712 SLP060 P0003 60011 T10441078 11028 21044 51011

Archived