Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro ensembles still look really cold around/past the 27th. The 12z Euro looks to be an outlier when compared to it's ensembles. I only received out to Day 13.5 on the surface temp and snow maps, but the cold is coming, now we just need to get a storm taking a good track. 

I forgot about the weeklies until you mentioned it. I don't think it looks that bad. The control doesn't look pretty though, but I have my doubts on the troughing in the GOA showing up that early. I think the ridging is going to be tougher to budge and we will have more of an Aleutian low. 

12z Operational GFS remaining steadfast with the pattern change after Christmas.  Looks like it is locking in a broad, deep trough across the country, with the Plains being near the base of the trough.  Around New Year's, the last few runs have been consistent in showing one or two storm systems moving through the arctic air, bringing winter weather to our area and the deep south.  CPC analogs of the forecasted 500MB flow are still showing some big dates in the past for cold and storminess.  Gotta say, I'm getting pretty excited for what we have upcoming.

I get the feeling there's a large amount of spread on the Euro ensembles. The last couple of operational runs haven't been as cold, and the troughing has been farther east, but the ensemble still shows the west being cold.  The 12z Euro ensemble looks good after it gets cold for more cold all throughout the run as the ridging in Alaska holds. However, the control run has more toughing in Alaska which screws with things. I guess we might have to wait until the 23rd or so before the models start calming down a bit. 

This is getting annoying.. One run of the Euro ensembles kind of stinks, and the next run looks pretty good. Lots of snow showing up during the next 15 days in the ensembles. Looks like positioning of where the coldest air sets up is going to make the difference as the Euro has it cold over the western 1/2 of the US with ridging over the eastern parts.... However, the Euro does have a western bias and things may end up farther east. 

Is it just me or does it feel like we're in a perpetual cycle of colder air arriving in 10-15 days?

Around Thanksgiving all signs pointed to a flip around Dec 15.

It was, but then it's been pretty stable for colder than normal air around the 26th or 27th, pending what happens with the Alaskan ridge. Today's OP didn't build it in as fast because it didn't clear out the storminess until a later time.

This is the current stormy pattern going on up there, as you can see by all the blues showing up in the Gulf of Alaska... this results in downstream ridging over Canada which doesn't allow the cold air south:

ecmwf_z500a_namer_1.png

On the 23rd in prior runs, the ridge had established itself already and it was pretty strong, however in todays run, there's still some troughing trying to clear out.... We are watching that ridge west/southwest of Alaska (the red dot area)

ecmwf_z500a_namer_4.png

So by the 28th, the last of the trough has cleared out and the ridge has built into it's place, and at this time we're in a bit of ridging ahead of the system digging down from the NW:

ecmwf_z500a_namer_9.png

Anybody cancelling winter yet? This is like 2012 all over again. Garbage winter.

It may eventually get here but not expecting anything significant IMO.  Seems like its just not the year.  We'll be darn lucky to get anywhere close to averages anywhere in this region this year, despite some of the forecasts and optimism.  I always hate to see it turn very wintry and active in November seems like it gets hopes up and the rest of the winter is hard pressed to live up to expectations.

It may eventually get here but not expecting anything significant IMO. Seems like its just not the year. We'll be darn lucky to get anywhere close to averages anywhere in this region this year, despite some of the forecasts and optimism. I always hate to see it turn very wintry and active in November seems like it gets hopes up and the rest of the winter is hard pressed to live up to expectations.

I just don't get how of all the Novembers I saw that recorded > trace snowfall, around 70-80 percent went climo or more on the season. Zero of the worst winters had snow in November. It should've been a virtual lock for climo snow imby. I guess there's a first time for everything but if it doesn't start snowing soon I will be looking ridiculous to a bunch of people.

I just don't get how of all the Novembers I saw that recorded > trace snowfall, around 70-80 percent went climo or more on the season. Zero of the worst winters had snow in November. It should've been a virtual lock for climo snow imby. I guess there's a first time for everything but if it doesn't start snowing soon I will be looking ridiculous to a bunch of people.

Maybe we get lucky and get a great back-ended winter this yr by Feb into March.  I guess patience is the way to go here as we continue to wait on a worthwhile pattern change to occur.  Getting very frustrating, though.

It may eventually get here but not expecting anything significant IMO.  Seems like its just not the year.  We'll be darn lucky to get anywhere close to averages anywhere in this region this year, despite some of the forecasts and optimism.  I always hate to see it turn very wintry and active in November seems like it gets hopes up and the rest of the winter is hard pressed to live up to expectations.

The weird thing was... all of the indicators were looking pretty good for a decent winter and it still may get decent in Jan and Feb.

Dr. Cohen and his mythical SSW, which is tied to the snow advance index, which was really a good sign for winter this year keeps failing to show up, so he keeps pushing it back. A lot of other factors were looking fairly positive as well, but in the end, seasonal forecasting seems to just be throwing a dart at a board and hoping for the best. 

Maybe we get lucky and get a great back-ended winter this yr by Feb into March. I guess patience is the way to go here as we continue to wait on a worthwhile pattern change to occur. Getting very frustrating, though.

I hope so. Anyway, I'm done ranting. Haha. Happy astronomical Winter everyone.

The weird thing was... all of the indicators were looking pretty good for a decent winter and it still may get decent in Jan and Feb.

Dr. Cohen and his mythical SSW, which is tied to the snow advance index, which was really a good sign for winter this year keeps failing to show up, so he keeps pushing it back. A lot of other factors were looking fairly positive as well, but in the end, seasonal forecasting seems to just be throwing a dart at a board and hoping for the best. 

Exactly.  In the end it's certainly out of our hands.

Also, I didn't see this post but what he said times 100. Still scratching my head. Precip almost every other day at 40 degrees is going to get old really quickly though. Now I really am done ranting! Haha.

The last 2 runs of the Euro have had a system worth watching next weekend for some snow/frozen on it's NW side for our area. It's almost in the 5 day window, so it may actually have a chance at happening.... Other than that, it's still burying a positive tilt trough in the southwest. 

Maybe I'm a little too optimistic, but I actually feel pretty good about where we are headed the next week or two.  Sure, we're not looking at an epic storm as it appears right now.  But both the Euro and GFS show western ridging with a positively-tilted, SW to NE oriented trough digging into the SW early next week.  From my experience during past events (as long as the trough doesn't bury itself too much and cut-off over the SW), that would funnel arctic air south down the spine of the Rockies, and would create an overriding situation with moisture being thrown back over the cold dome. Sure enough, the models are being pretty consistent that a good dose of Arctic air is headed for our region in 8-10 days.  The finer details such as storm system timings and placements have still to be worked out.  But I think there is some room for optimism here, and not doom and gloom. 

Maybe I'm a little too optimistic, but I actually feel pretty good about where we are headed the next week or two.  Sure, we're not looking at an epic storm as it appears right now.  But both the Euro and GFS show western ridging with a positively-tilted, SW to NE oriented trough digging into the SW early next week.  From my experience during past events (as long as the trough doesn't bury itself too much and cut-off over the SW), that would funnel arctic air south down the spine of the Rockies, and would create an overriding situation with moisture being thrown back over the cold dome. Sure enough, the models are being pretty consistent that a good dose of Arctic air is headed for our region in 8-10 days.  The finer details such as storm system timings and placements have still to be worked out.  But I think there is some room for optimism here, and not doom and gloom. 

That is what I am seeing. I think us in the Texas thread are feeling pretty good about what is shaping up to be a really cold and likely snowy week around New Year's.

Assuming the system becomes more neutrally tilted. As of right now, most of the precip is out ahead of any of the colder air, with just a bit on the far NW fringe overrunning. I think Texas has the better chances. 

Weeklies are in....

They have troughing in the west and ridging in the east pretty much the entire run through Jan 22nd. This leads to 850 MB temps generally colder than normal in the west and warmer than normal in the east with the near normal temps hovering around our area, with some occasional bouts of above normal and below normal. I wouldn't say it's a bad look for this area as there's still ridging over Alaska and ridging at times over the top which should provide cold air. Hopefully the trough will end up farther east and we'll be on the cold side for some overrunning events like what natecast mentioned above. The control run is way too unstable looking for me to decipher.

Edit: I guess you could say the only sustained cold will be in the west and maybe down the spine of the Rockies. Everywhere else will probably see their temps jump up and down depending on individual cold fronts or systems that can't be seen this far in advance. 

Archived