• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
I need an accurate thermometer in extreme cold

motorboatinking

You want just a digital thermometer and not a wx station correct? What's your budget?

A quick Google search turned up this...

http://www.kmart.com/extech-big-digit-indoor-outdoor-thermometer/p-03416322000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I'm sure there's a lot more out there. Of course it has an accuracy of almost +/- 2F and that gets magnified because of the lack of shielding.

At those temps batteries tend to die quickly which is probably why digital ones generally only go down to -40. If you can find one with a probe like the Kmart one you will just have to find a shady spot for it away from your house for accurate readings or get a big dial faced on and find a shady spot for it. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly.

We use freezer alarms with my seafood company freezers, they all use wired probes. I was trying desperately to find a Bluetooth or WiFi version and quickly found out that they don't exist for this very reason. You need a wired probe style.

• 3 years later...

Measurement of temperature is very much crucial mainly during the winter season. After researching lots on the internet, that which device is best for measure the perfect temperature, I got a great help from a link for buying me an AcuRite 00611A3 Wireless Thermometer, its quality is very high and easy to use. A 165 ft (50 m) wireless range isn’t bad enough to get the information of outside temperature changes. You remain up-to-date with its accurate readings for making a decision of outings with confidence. It wirelessly transmits accurate and precise reading to the display that helps in maintaining the humidity level inside the room or building. If you want you can check it the link. https://thehumannest.com/best-indoor-outdoor-thermometer-reviews/ 

On 10/17/2014 at 8:09 PM, yotaman said:

At those temps batteries tend to die quickly which is probably why digital ones generally only go down to -40. If you can find one with a probe like the Kmart one you will just have to find a shady spot for it away from your house for accurate readings or get a big dial faced on and find a shady spot for it. Good luck.

I have one from Radio Shack I've been using since 1995 and haven't even changed the battery yet (knock on wood lol).  The probe goes out the window on the north side of the house and the display along with the batteries are inside.

I also have weather stations that don't need batteries and are powered by an indoor display (either with electricity or battery or electricity/battery back up.)

They are as accurate as listed - +/- 1C / 2F 

On 10/14/2014 at 9:15 PM, motorboatinking said:

I moved to Fairbanks Alaska and I want a digital thermometer that displays the outdoor temp. It will be colder than -40F here, but all of the digital thermometers that I find only go to -39 or -40. Does anyone know if they make digital thermometers that can go to about -60? Thanks

Following because I also need a new and reliable thermometer for deep Vermont winters. This is a case which you need to be willing to shell out the cash -I have put so much money into my weather gadgets. Also I would recommend looking into setting up your own barometer system because mine always leaves me one step ahead in telling the forecast.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:09 AM, Aaron John said:

Measurement of temperature is very much crucial mainly during the winter season. After researching lots on the internet, that which device is best for measure the perfect temperature, I got a great help from a link for buying me an AcuRite 00611A3 Wireless Thermometer, its quality is very high and easy to use. A 165 ft (50 m) wireless range isn’t bad enough to get the information of outside temperature changes. You remain up-to-date with its accurate readings for making a decision of outings with confidence. It wirelessly transmits accurate and precise reading to the display that helps in maintaining the humidity level inside the room or building. If you want you can check it the link. https://thehumannest.com/best-indoor-outdoor-thermometer-reviews/ 

Aaron these look like great options. I will have to look into it

Archived